New to forum & VTR1000

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
azvtr1000rider

New to forum & VTR1000

Post by azvtr1000rider »

I ride a different brand but may buy a 98 VTR1000 Wed. What should I look at for a used, 48K Superhawk? Anything of concern for a novice VTR owner?
pinkyfloyd

Re: New to forum & VTR1000

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Welcome to the forum. There will someone along directly who knows more than my limited knowladge.

You want to check that the Regulator/rectifier has been changed, if not then you'll be wanting to change that to a newer model as the older ones have a tendancy to die. Cam Chain Tensioners are a known weak link on the bike too. If they havent been changed to manual ones then you'll want to change that too as a precaution. There are instructions on the forum to show how each of these operations are done and they are idiot proof. If I can understand them anyone can because I'm an idiot. :thumbup: :wave:
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

+1 on that. Manual CCT's or the stopper mod is a must. There have been loads of people on here that have had the standard ones fail recently resulting in a lot of grief. If you get the CCT's and reckyoulater/rectumfrier sorted, they are a sweet, worry free bike.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Mileage isn't a worry, these engines are under-stressed and so they carry miles well.
Just check for no smoke at start-up, and have someone follow you to see if it smokes at medium revs when accelerating.
But + another one on cct's and reg/rec, they'll bite you eventually.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
azvtr1000rider

New to forum & VTR1000

Post by azvtr1000rider »

Thanks for the advice. Owner wasn't there when I went to look at it. Makes me wonder what kind of care bike has received?? I'll keep looking. Thanks again. I'll just be a forum member for now.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

good luck with your search for a bike buddy, if you get one remember to let us all know and show us some pictures......
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome to the forum azvtr1000rider :thumbup:

Good advice already on your question.

My advice is as always, make sure you ride one first before buying, especially if V twins are new to you.

Chris.
azvtr1000rider

New to forum & VTR1000

Post by azvtr1000rider »

I currently ride an opposed twin, close cousin to the v-twin! Actually owned an SV650S for a while. Sometimes wished I still had it!