Massively increased fuel economy.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

Ok, so I still haven't got to the bottom of my massively increased fuel economy. The bike feels a LITTLE down on power but not much, other than that it's running smooth, no coughs or splutters or anything. Can't find any leaks anywhere and the plugs are a nice coffee bean brown, carbs are balanced and apart from the small lck of power everythings fine. Apart from my fuel consumption has gone from around 80 miles till the red light of death to now having done 60 miles and the tank still being nearly full. Probably used 4 liters max.

Anyone got any ideas?
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
benny hedges

Re: Massively increased fuel economy.

Post by benny hedges »

you most likely have an air leak somewhere.
check the breather pipes are on under the airbox, check the condition of the vacuum hoses and possibly could be a diaphragm torn so one pot isnt opening properly.
with the jetting right on mine it's now doing 80 - 110 to red light whereas before i was getting 130 - 170+!
big improvement in power but jeez it sups!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

I'll have to go through it again methinks. Any idea what the internal diameter of the vac hose is? And how do I test it with no visible splits? All the stuff under the airbox is fine but I haven't checked the diaphragms.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

are you sure they are all on properly though????
best to just replace the vac hoses. it's 4mm id
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Taz69

Post by Taz69 »

Benny,

Can I ask the question is that for the smaller vacuum hoses, its 4mm internal diameter?

Thanks
VTR1000 Firestorm in yellow, lubbly jubbly.
Life's only Fun when your doing a Ton.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

yeh mate the hose from the rear intake to the fuel tap and the front one which will either go to your scottoiler or is blanked off for balancing.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

If it's only a tiny bit down on power, but getting such good fuel economy, why fix it? Is it something that is going to do some damage?

If you do 'fix' it, let us know what it was mate, I'll probably do it to mine as a mod...I'll save a small fortune with commuting.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

if you want better fuel economy while riding slow you could drop the needles a bit & turn the mixture screw out a turn each.
it will run a bit rough and lose power but the difference may be worth it if you want that sort of thing.
personally i dont mind the economy or lack of it lol... stack it against any other thou and theres not much in it.
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

It could cause damage if it's running lean yeah. The plugs look ok but it can take time for them to change colour, so it might be running lean now but the plugs haven't changed yet. Lean running can destroy engines in the worst case. And to be honest I would rather have crap fuel economy if it means huge grin factor.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

What damage does it cause?

I knew running lean on turbos can cause it to run too hot and cause premature detonation, but didn't know it did anything with NA engines. The air isn't under any pressure going in is it?
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

Miztaziggy wrote:What damage does it cause?

I knew running lean on turbos can cause it to run too hot and cause premature detonation, but didn't know it did anything with NA engines. The air isn't under any pressure going in is it?
Exactly the same thing with a normal engine. Might take a bit longer but can happen. And that can cause terminal problems.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

most common damage is a bit of pitting to the piston crown and combustion chamber.
severely weak mix and hard riding it can burn the edges of the exhaust valves away and lose compression.
also seen holed pistons (on 2T's) and spark plug electrodes burnt off causing damage to valves.

running slightly weak low down in the rpm wont harm it though but you will lose a bit of power & gain mpg.
best bet for better mpg is sell the storm & buy a cg125 :lol:

try riding a tuono and you will be glad to get back on the vtr.