Replace swingarm

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
andyfraser666

Replace swingarm

Post by andyfraser666 »

Does anyone know which swingarm will be a straight replacement for the standard '97 one?

I like the idea of a CBR 1000 braced arm
Kev L

Re: Replace swingarm

Post by Kev L »

I don't think anyone has come up with a straight replacement from an existing model, but some of us have cut the brace off a cbr900rr blade and had it welded to the VTR swingarm. Mine is in at the moment being welded up. It should end up like this -

I posted a few more pics on a previous occasion if you search for braced swingarm.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
geoff996

Post by geoff996 »

Hi Andy, I looked at a cbr1000 and ended up with n sp1 problem is they all fit to the frame and not the rear crankcase best way is like kev says 900rr. I did this ahd it looks fine, only problem is that the brace catches on the high level pipes. :thumbup:
RIDE TO ENJOY
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I did this ahd it looks fine, only problem is that the brace catches on the high level pipes.
Do you know you are the first person to mention that and I hadn't even considered it. DOHHHH. Still it will look cool and funky even if it converts the bike from a going concern into a piece of sculpture!! No one said it was going to be easy......
Cheers Geoff, ruined my day. :D
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
geoff996

Post by geoff996 »

If you use the 900rr you can use a 900rr rear hugger. :thumbup: I used a 900rr rear caliper and bracket, just make sure you use the stay that holds the bracket inplace. It's different to the vtr one. :thumbup: :thumbup: :wave:
RIDE TO ENJOY
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Cheers Geoff, I am having the Blade stay welded on and have the Blade caliper bracket. The other post I put on a couple of months ago has photo's of the whole process. I bought a 900RR carbon hugger to fit once the job is jobbed. Easter and next weeks bank holidays are impacting on the completion time but hey ho. I will stick up some pics when I get it back.
geoff996

Post by geoff996 »

Hi Kev I used the 900 rear caliper because the banjo is at the back were as the vtr is at the front and kinked the hose if i remember. Good luck and have fun :thumbup:
RIDE TO ENJOY