Newbie alert...

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Captain Vimes

Newbie alert...

Post by Captain Vimes »

Evening all

As I have just bought an '03 VTR1000 I thought I had better sign up to take advantage of the collective intellect of the VTR1000 forum members!

I have attached a pic (I hope). She' s only done 5,700 miles with one owner, so pretty much immaculate and standard, although the first owner only ever had the first service done and then changed the oil and filter each year, so I need to know if there are any urgent jobs needing doing on an eight year old bike?

I have only had the one ride so far, but she is much as I expected from reviews. I wanted to try a big V-twin and have always been a Honda or Kawasaki, man so the VTR was a bit of a no-brainer for me. Having spent most of the last 20 years on 'Blades and ZX9Rs I am more than happy with the power and power delivary (I must be slowing down a little) and very happy with the comfort and feel of the bike, even though she is totally standard so I am sure there are little improvements to be made.

The only 'issue' I have for the moment is the emmisions flat spot at 5,500 revs, but I am sure there is a fix for that on the forum somewhere.

Looking forward to meeting some of you guys out there, I am in East Yorksire by the way.

Cheers

Vimes :cool2

The road goes ever on and on.
AMCQ46

Re: Newbie alert...

Post by AMCQ46 »

yikes that is clean........nice find.

oh and welcome to the forum, lots of good infor and advice here, just ahve a good read and see what you learn.

We will tell you to get the cam chain tensioners sorted as a priority although your milage is low, they are a time bomb and you cant say it wont happen on low milage bikes.

if the bike has been used each year, then oil & filter change and new plugs will be fine so you start your ownership fresh. If it has been laid up for 3 yrs unused, then you might need to take the carbs off and clean them out. i guess looking at the MOT milage will tell you what you need to know.

the flat spot should not be too bad unless some one has put a K&N filter in and not changed the jets. Lift the tank and have a look at the filter.
AMcQ
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

nice bike! not very often you find a clean unmolested low mileage example like that :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Nice bike. Not that we're biased or anything on here.

Welcome to the forum.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

nice bike m8 one of the best colours imho, it would look good with a bigger bellypan in matte black.....
welcome to tha asylum..........

:beer:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
neil

Post by neil »

welcome, I'm in East Yorkshire too
redvtr
Captain Vimes

Post by Captain Vimes »

Will get the cct sorted as a priority. It has the original air filter, but I can notice a slight flat spot at about 5.5k. I know it is built in for the emissions test so I would have thought half an hour on a dyno would get rid of it?
Last edited by Captain Vimes on Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Although there is a flat spot that shows up on the dyno printout, but isn't really noticeable on the road, so if yours is really obvious there may be another reason.

And yes, it would be around 4500 to 5000.
Have a look at some of the dyno runs posted on here to see what's normally achieved.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard C/V :thumbup:

A very nice clean/tidy looking bike. I do like that colour blue 8)

I agree with AMcQ and Tony.mon, you shouldn't be noticing any flat spot out on the road.

Chris.
Captain Vimes

Post by Captain Vimes »

Just had a nice hours' run. Maybe I am being a little fussy about the emission dip. It does not impact upon riding at all,. I'll probably stop noticing it soon or change the cans and re-jet anyway... :D
Last edited by Captain Vimes on Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Why not meet up with another owner locally and swap bikes for 1/2 hr, that way you'll know if it's yours or generic.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.