Greetings and Salutations....

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
jarlayari

Post by jarlayari »

From Birmingham....

My name is Andi and I have just aquired a 1997 VTR1000F. I play on the swapz website from time to time and I started out with a 1982 CBR900C. I swapped that for a Triumph RS Sprint, swapped that for a Triumph Trophy 1200, Swapped that for a Suzuki Intruder 600 (1995) which I just swapped for the VTR1000F...

The VTR tho I am quite happy NOT to swap on. Its 3 owners from new, last one being 8 years and has only covered 8899 miles from new with all previous MOTs and stamped service book to prove it. Its also completely Stock from what I can tell.

I have been reading the forum a lot about problems and issues and the main one I can see is the seat wont release from the key :-( also I have no idea whether the CCT's have been done or not.

I also ride a Moto Guzzi California 1100 and am really happy now to own 2 completely different bikes rather than 2 cruisers...

I hope I have a long happy relationship with my Storm as it really does look the Mutts Nuts in Red and is in great overall condition....

Anyone in Birmingham fancy meeting up give me a shout!!! Or if anyone who is a little more mechanically Savvy than me (I am a I T Engineer) who could take a look at my CCT's before I ride her too hard would be really appreciated, I can offer Beer, Coffee or Computer tech in return....

Thanks for Reading :-)

Andi

Andi
flak monkey

Re: Greetings and Salutations....

Post by flak monkey »

:wave:

Lots of help on this site as I have found already :) Sounds like it might be a good one you've got. Post some pics! :)
Not what you think...
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

hello and welcome
tonyf

Post by tonyf »

Welcome!! :D
lofty690

Post by lofty690 »

i will lend you my haynes manual for some of that puter tech lol . welcome but im in belfast , great bunch on here enjoy ....
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome to the world of firestorms.

look in the workshop section and you will see that I am offering to do "workshop day" some time in the next couple of months. I am based near Solihull, so will be easy for you to get here and I can show you and others how do do the CCT mod.

Keep an eye out on that thread for the date
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

jarlayari wrote: I have been reading the forum a lot about problems and issues and the main one I can see is the seat wont release from the key :-
Hi Andi, welcome to the forum :thumbup:

Generally speaking the Firestorm only really has two main problems, (1) the CCT's as you've already mentioned and (2) the rectifier, but only the earlier bikes (16ltr fuel tank models) that had no-cooling fin's on the rectifier were the ones that gave problems. Without any cooling fin's it caused many of them to have a short life. The later (19ltr fuel tank) models had cooling fins fitted to the rectifier resulting in them not over heating.

The seat removal is more of a technique to removing it than anything. Grease up the hooks and locking part under the seat and try it again. Some remove the hooks that are attached to the seat on the underside, but I haven't found that necessary on my bike.

Try turning the key with one hand holding it unlocked while with the other hand pull the seat backwards by grabbing it on the side at the front where it meets the fuel tank. That should release it, from there leave the key go and you should be able to lift the seat off using both hands, one either side of the seat.

Or do what one of our members does here:-

Chris.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

sirch345 wrote:Some remove the hooks that are attached to the seat on the underside, but I haven't found that necessary on my bike.

Chris.
i thought it best to keep the hooks as they are there for a reason & i do take the occasional pillion....
so instead i knocked them back a few mm with a mallet.
problem solved.
just as secure as before but real easy to remove the seat. :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
alec

Post by alec »

either side of the seat.

Or do what one of our members does here:-

Chris.[/quote]

Hi Chris this is exactly how i get mine off but since recovering the seat i've found i now have to beat f*ck out of the centre of it to raise it lol, might try benny's idea of bending the hooks back a bit.
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

Andi - I just ground off a little of the hooks on my seat, 30 secs to do - and makes life loads easier.

Oh, welcome too :-)

I'm in Tamworth every weekend!

Sent from Cliveys iPhone using Tapatalk
=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

=====================================================
elric

Post by elric »

Welcome.

Today I bashed the wire loops about 1/2 inch towards the tank, seat slides on and off like a dream and it took about 5 seconds to do both. Seat in place looks fine and appears engaged.
It's only easy if you know the answer!
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

welcome in matey :thumbup:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

elric wrote:Welcome.

Today I bashed the wire loops about 1/2 inch towards the tank, seat slides on and off like a dream and it took about 5 seconds to do both. Seat in place looks fine and appears engaged.
Don't bash them too hard, that's what you use to hang your bike up with when you take the shock linkage and swing arm off for regreasing...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
stevevtr

Post by stevevtr »

hi buddy im from northfield just moved down south for the better roads.enjoy the vtr best bike ive had for a while lovin it
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Hi Andi, I'm suprised no one has said, If you have a problem with the bike"try turning it off and back on again"......well someone had to ! :thumbup: