hi all

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
RAPIDROLLIN

hi all

Post by RAPIDROLLIN »

i passed my test september last year and bought a 2001 bright yellow firestorm and lovin every minute, but alas i have a problem, broke down thusday night and after chatting to a fellow biker who stopped was advised it was the regulater rectifier, so got a new pattern part off ebay , replaced battery as other one dead, bike started straight away but no movement on rev guage and headlight not working rest of electrics seem to be fine, so is it going to be a fuse(i checked box under seat with 10 band 20 amp fuses all fine)or have i cooked the clock? cheers in advance any advise
pinkyfloyd

Re: hi all

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Might not be the same for your storm as it is for mine and bear in mind I'm no mechanic but I've 2 sets of wires leading from my battery terminals positive side. One seems to be the bikes electrics and if thats not connected properly it tends to stop working. Also check the connections under the seat because thats where the main loom seems to be. Chances are you may have knocked a connection loose in there.

I'm sure there will be other members on to give you a more detailed discription of what may be wrong.

Welcome to the forum and I'm sure when the bikes running propperly you'll come to love the beastie.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
RAPIDROLLIN

Post by RAPIDROLLIN »

i did notice the rev counter stopped workin when rectifier gave up, revs dropped to nothin even though i was still revving the engine , also the neutral light and stand light still work, the rev counter is pure electical??so where is the fuse for this? full beam works on lights so probabaly popped the lights
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome to the forum.

Strange that it is not a fuse, check again and swap them......check the headlight bulb and see if it is blown.

other problem may be a wire of a connector overheated, may help if you take the tank off and follow the wires through, there is a large bundle of connectors just in front of the battery, make sure they are all OK
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard RAPIDROLLIN :thumbup:

I replied to your question in the "Workshop" section.

Chris.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

there is no fuse for the tacho.
it has a small circuit board inside which the rr could have damaged.
it senses speed with the rpm sensor on top of the gearbox, then feeds the signal to the icm, which is the bike's brain, the larger unit under the seat, just in front of the tail light, with the 16 pin connector.
a green & yellow wire then feed back to the tacho and the speed is converted in the circuitry.

could be that the ring connector on the green & yellow wire is coincidentally rotted on the back of the tacho - theyre just little m4 x head screws - make sure its a good connection.

there is a method of testing the tacho on p355 of the pdf workshop manual (from the workshop section, carlsalter.com or hondamoto)
that should tell you if its the tacho or icm that has failed. (i have both spare if you are really stuck)

does the bike run ok? no misfire???
you need to check for loose wires before you start replacing stuff, and follow the electrical testing procedure in the back of the manual ;)
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

Hello and welcome...:-)

you joined on the best day of the year.....My birthday.. :clap: ..Well done on picking the best colour too. :thumbup: ..Enjoy..
Abb..
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
bandsawman

Post by bandsawman »

Hi, and welcome! :wave:
Hope you get the most out of this forum - they're a great bunch!
Going anywhere in a car is a journey, going anywhere on a bike is an adventure!