2 into 1

General Bike chat
tradedog

2 into 1

Post by tradedog »

Heres a question. Started my bike the other day and put my hand over one of the slipons (laser). Was expecting to hear the same sound, more or less, but all coming from the other pipe, as the pipes are linked upstream of the cans anyway. Instead all I could hear was a muffled whimper coming from the open pipe. Who can explain that?

The reason for all this is I rather fancy the idea of my VTR with one pipe and a 2 into 1 sound. Is one of these slipons capable of handling all that hot gas? How would u make it sound right?

Regards
Chris Gill

Post by Chris Gill »

According to a motorcycle engineer I spoke to the other day (who is far more knowledgeable than I) Honda biased the exhaust flow to the right-hand can by crimping the pipe to the left hand can just after it splits from the collector pipe. Apparently the Firestorm doesn't like a 2-1-2 system (his words not mine).

Been looking into doing a 2 into 1 exhaust myself, but don't want to go for a race can as they make far too much noise for my liking, but if I were using a race can I'd want one with a bore size of at least 58mm- just to be on the safe side. One from an Aprilia Mille or Tuono would work just fine, I reckon. I've been looking at using a standard Aprilia can but there are just 2 problems with that;

1) They're ugly
2) They've got "Aprilia" etched on them!

Chris.
stormsmasher

Post by stormsmasher »

I looked into 2 into 1 exhausts quite a bit when I designed one with ART.
The upshot is that they are quite loud and give extra power in the mid range but lose a small amount at the top end.

Mail me at daz.sear@ntlworld.com for more details and pictures.

Daz