Ignition advancers

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
bazza696

Ignition advancers

Post by bazza696 »

This a bit of pimp and workshop.

The bike will be getting a KandN and stage 1 dynojet this season and want to prepare the bike with as many mods before the expense of this.

A lot of the guys on here have gone for a 4deg ignition advancer and whilst looking have found that you can get a 2deg as well.

So I dropped Roger Ditchfield at revolution uk an email about what he thinks. He stated that on his race bikes he found that at low revs 3 to 4k they programmed their electronic advancer for 1deg retardation, and from 5.5k on a 2deg advance, he mentioned that a 4deg would cause the bike to overheat.

So it looks like I will go for the 2deg.

What's everyone else's opinion/ experiences.
Last edited by bazza696 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benny hedges

Re: Ignition adcancers

Post by benny hedges »

last thing you want is overheated bile :sick:

ive got a +4 in mine and it runs sound - does get hot in traffic but they all do anyway... got another fan to fit to sort that and running on pure glycol made a difference too.
you probably won't notice a difference until you try it on super unleaded..... :crazy:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
lofty690

Post by lofty690 »

where can you get these advancers ? would like to try one !
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I run a -4 degree advancer from Factory Pro, a USA mnfr; I think you can get them from Big CC Racing and HM Racing.
Yes, it makes the bike run a bit hotter, but cures the popping back through the carbs/stalling problem, and feels crisper at low/mid revs.

The hot running is only ever a problem if you're in stationary traffic for more than ten minutes; it only ever caught me out when I was queuing for a parking space at Hastings on the Mayday run.

once I knew it could be a problem i just kill the engine when stationary and restart once the traffic's moving again.
It causes no probs at lights etc, as soon as you start moving again the airflow over the rads cools the engine back to normal.

I'll be fitting a bigger oil cooler and second (manual) fan on the LH rad to fix this, but I also have quite a bit of engine work done as well, which makes the situation worse and means that I need to do something about it.

recommended mod- if you don't like it someone else on here will buy it at or near cost.
Last edited by tony.mon on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Where you going to source a second fan, as there is little space on the left hand
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

plenty of room m8.
got one off ebay, £12
made some brackets for it and got a temp controller & sensor for it, i'll fit it when it's in bits.
(well, in more bits than it is already lol!)

had it in place already to measure the brackets up & it fits ok
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.