Carb balance problem

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Gerrit

Carb balance problem

Post by Gerrit »

Firstly I must mention what an awesome difference a new chain & sprockets make, It is like a new bike. 3 Years since I bought it, and noticed a tight spot on the chain recently & replaced the lot.

Awesome increase in power and much better fuel economy.

Anyway, attempted a carb balance this weekend, having done it often before.

However, this time as soon as soon as I start the bike, the oil in the balancer gets sucked straight in to the vacuum hose from the rear cylinder !

From the front vacuum nipple I have a 20cm pipe that is blocked off, until I need to use it for balancing....Checked it and it is not blocked.

Starting the bike and I unblock this front hose, the revs pick up, closing the hose and the revs drop a bit.

Is there a problem in the rear carb? I noticed a lot of popping and banging the last few days.

regards,
Gerrit
benny hedges

Re: Carb balance problem

Post by benny hedges »

check the rubber is seated properly and the hose clips are good & tight.
use a 1/4 drive 8mm socket instead of a screwdriver - gets them a lot tighter.

do you mean the front vac pipe was left open? if so thats the popping explained, if it is closed off the popping & banging is more likely to be an air leak on the exhaust somewhere?

are you using proper gauges or the home made manometer thing with pipe?
i got some cheapish ones off ebay but they came with all the adapters, hoses and some little inline restrictor valves.
they work great, very stable needle
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Gerrit

Post by Gerrit »

Hose are properly connected.

No the front hose is capped off with a allen cap, which I remove when I connect the hose from the balancer.

What I noticed is that when i run the bike, and open this hose the revs pickup, and slow down, when i close it, but that is normal I think as opening the hose will allow more air into the system.

My problem is the rear I am sure, as it sucks up the oil from the balancer as soon as I start the bike.

Gerrit
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Sounds like no vacuum on the front cyl, leading to such an imbalance that the oil flows towards the vacuum side from the side with no vacuum.
Check for leaks/cracked hose/loose connection/loose carb rubber etc on the front cyl.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.