Braided Lines

General Bike chat
FireSpawn

Braided Lines

Post by FireSpawn »

C'mon then chaps: -

What do I need exactly?
Can you get a kit or do you order seperate bits?
Where from?
How much?
New pads at the same time?
Which pads?
Easy DIY?

Thank you muchly :D
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Just fitted a set of goodridge front and rear, the whole lot cost £80 with stainless fittings and came as a set. You should also try giving the calipers a really good clean as well as this makes a big difference. Clean the pistons to remove all the crap off them and fit the hoses, should find that this makes a big difference to the stopping power of your storm.

I got mine from http://www.motorbike-world.co.uk , it's an easy job to fit and get yourself some good DOT4 brake fluid.

Ian
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Druid

Post by Druid »

You need two braided steel lines with stainless fittings. Two stainless banjo bolts, one double length banjo bolt, and seven copper washers.

Two lines are easier to bleed, look better and have less possible failure points.

I bought a set for my VFR from BGC Motorsport in Norfolk (01945 466690), or email sales@bgcmotorsports.co.uk, for £46 including postage. Delivered next day.

I have no financial interest in the above company, they just provided good service at a fair price.

Strangely enough, I fitted Fireblade/storm four pot calipers to my VFR, cos the original two pot ones were crap.
Last edited by Druid on Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

80 pooonds? That sounds like a lot.
I just bought (they haven't arrived yet) a set of British-made braided lines with stainless fittings for $NZ125 - that's like around half what you paid? You guys in GB get reamed something awful.
Is there like 257,000% VAT or summat? :wink:

Oh - just re-read that; I didn't notice that you said "front and rear".
But you guys still pay too much.
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

the last braided lines i bought were from earls, and they are just goodridge by another name... just cheaper,
if you buy it as a kit it will save you asking for all the bits,
but as a general idea you will need, 2 lines for the front & 1 line for the back, 1 double banjo & 2 singles & washers for the front & 2 singles & washers for the back, plus any extras you might want such as braiding & bleed nipples,clips etc... if your pads are not worn you will not need to change them... but remember you will need new fluid & the brakes willl have to be bled... best to use one of those bleeders that draws the fliud out,asyou are less likley to get air locks with it..hope this helps
Proudest Monkey

Post by Proudest Monkey »

Forgive my ignorance, but what are advantages of braided lines? Obviously there are some braking benefits, but what exactly?
She's Matte black and FULL-O-BEAUTY
and now sounding sweeter than ever with the new High Rise StainTunes :D

http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/displa ... StainTunes
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Thats the main reason.
Also as your original hoses get old they get a bit tired and start to expand sligtly as you apply the brakes giving you inconsistant braking. Braided hoses don't ave this problem and with regular changes of the fluid will last the life of the bike.

Pete.l
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

That's right, get rid of all the spongieness on the lever, better control, less travel and looks alot better. When i've done bikes run one line to the right caliper and then another line linking both calipers together. Done loads of VTR's like this. %50 that i have done have been done because the lines they had on were too long and the line that runs from the M/S to the L caliper foulded on the fairing/headlamp frame and had kinks etc in them from hard breaking and getting squashed/folded under the fairing. I buy the induvidual components and make them up on the bike to the exact lenght so no hoses flapping about in the wind. If you do do it yourself rememeber rebound spring in the forks, they will put apart so the hose needs to cater for this, about 15mm me thinks.

Del.
SILVTR

Post by SILVTR »

My 98 VTR had (still has) Goodridge on the front, along with new pads, when I bought it, and the brakes are shite. I was all buzzed up by the potential power of this mod, but I can only imagine how crap the originals were. Maybe the pads are cheap chocolate ones? Maybe I need to bleed the system, I don't know. But I do know that I'm not impressed now.
94 Corolla and a big goo for an R1150GS
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Change the fluid first.
If that doesn't improve things strip the master and slave cylinders and replace all the gaskets.
:lol: That should put you back on "Stoppie Street" :lol:

Pete.l
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Del,
in your experience of VTRs the brake line setup you've just described (mastercylinder to righthand caliper then link to the left with a second line) to be the best, as I have been under the impression that two lines from the mastercylinder one to each left and right caliper to be the best setup, whats your opinion on that ?
cheers Chris.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

With two from the M/C then two lines are always flexing and leaks are more likely to happen as the route to the left caliper is a bitch. The link from caliper to caliper is static. Never had a problem and it looks tidy plus a bit less pipe and fluid. The only down side is it's best to make them on the bike. Most stunties (proper dudes) use this setup from wot I've seen.

Tried the 2 lines from the M/S originally and was poop and all the bikes I've seen with them look poop and the hose M/S to L/C look stressed. I gues it would be OK if you used 3 to 4 line and had solid 90 degree blocks made to connect too.

Del.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks Del for your advice (brake line setup) I must admit what you just said does make a lot of sense,
Cheers Chris.
RAINMAKER

brakes

Post by RAINMAKER »

Hi Del, like your idea, been thinking that lines might be next on my list.
When you say M/C to Caliper [right] where do you route it, over top of fender in a loop or what, can you put a diagram on this site ? cheers Paul.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Will stick a few up on the gallery but they are not on standard calipers in the Misc section

Del.