Hot rectifier

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
fog356

Hot rectifier

Post by fog356 »

Hi had earlier post re flat battery. Since then fitted new Honda finned type one and had no problems, but haven't used bike as been on hols for a few weeks. Started it yesterday no prob's, but went to start it today and no go. Put old rectifier back on and it started but noticed smoke coming off one of the wires. Put new one back on and it worked. I think the earth wasn't so good . What I did notice was how hot the rectifier gets. The flat back bit which goes against the frame gets really hot, is this normal. If so any ideas to cool it.
Hope to put pic's on soon when I get screen replaced after some tw@ ran out it front of me and I went over bars and head butted him. Now have very sore neck and back.
Only had one of these for a month after 17 years of BM's, god have I missed out. These bikes are awesome.
AMCQ46

Re: Hot rectifier

Post by AMCQ46 »

Depends how hot you think it is, but I would say it is normal that you cant hold your finger against it for long, but no blisters, is about right.

they do get hot, hence why the old ones fail and the new ones have a finned heat sink to help dissipate the heat. Just make sure it is well bolted to the subframe, and the mating surfaces are free from corrosion, and that will conduct heat away as well, so electrical heat sink compound will also help.

Smoking wires is bad!

finally I dont understand how changing teh R/R will make it start, I assume you charged the battery?
AMcQ
fog356

Post by fog356 »

Hi the charging refers to an earlier thread. From what you say the intensity of the heat seams about right, but I will get some heat sink paste just to help.
cheers
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

fog356 wrote: Hope to put pic's on soon when I get screen replaced after some tw@ ran out it front of me and I went over bars and head butted him. Now have very sore neck and back.
oh dear - nasty!!!
beer helps :beer: :beer: :beer:

if the regulator bit has gone in the r/r it could dump loads of current to earth (my cbx one did anyway) - more than the small wires can take, lots of smoke, burnt melted plastic etc.
possible fire risk there imo so get it fixed pronto.

mine would flatten a fully charged battery in about 20 mins and it would not start due to earthing all the power the ignition needed as well as the starter... until the r/r wires melted through and then i realised i had a problem, 2 batteries and a stator wrecked :thumbdown:

fit a plough to the front for suicidal pedestrians :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.