storm to fighter!

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
dave-sp2

Re: my new storm

Post by dave-sp2 »

Been thinking a few weeks ahead of where i'm at.

the headers??? what can i put on them to make them look better and a coating that will last??
don't want to wrap them.
so has any one tried different products-processes that can with stand the heat on the header pipes?

got the new rear shock, that's in the post, going to make the new rear linkage plates tomorrow then that will be another step closer, still trying to sand all the pitting from the shot blasting out of the wheels, whoever blasted them used some coarse grit!

so i'm getting there, just the exhausts and the headlight to keep me puzzeled for now! and what colour to paint it!

dave
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

on my old storm i used wilco's bbq paint, never burnt or chipped off, good stuff for less than a fiver! :wink:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

I'm looking forward to see what you do to this, because I absolutely loved it before you started taking it apart :oops: lol

Good luck with it fella!! :thumbup:
A head full of fears has no room for dreams
dave-sp2

Post by dave-sp2 »

Hi fella,

it was better in the pictures than it was close up and it was't very nice to ride, my sp was nicer and they are very hard on the body at low speeds and long distances!

when it's finished it will be very cool and nice to ride as well as handling much better!

but at the moment it is still hanging from the shed roof as i have broke my foot and can't do much at all, but i'm getting there, 3 weeks down 3 to go before i get the cast off but i recon in about a week i'll be mobile enough to do short stints in the shed,

the risers are there wit hthe bars, all i have to do is drill the top yoke, it's been marked out for nearly 6 weeks and i still ain't gone the final bit and drilled it which wil tell you i'm not 100% there yet and convinced i'm going all the way. but i do have the extended brake lines and new headlight ready to be modfied to suit, the rear shock has been sorted. i got a cb900 hornet shock and fabricated and extension and new pivot linkge plates so that should raise the back end with honda quality suspension again!!

still looking for a pair of carbon cans but i keep being drawn to them small GP style cans on ebay, cans including link pipes and hangers for £165 which seems a bit of a bargain, has anyone tried them on a storm? i don't want loud, i want a quality sound instead of just an annoying noise that attracts to much attention.

once i'm up and about properly i'll be kicking on with it as spring is in the air!!!!!!!!
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

I was speaking to an exhaust builder and he seemed to think that the Storm isn't suited to carbon cans, especially on long runs. Apparently it starts to mess with the stuffing and could possibly start to knacker the carbon if getting too hot. He said it wouldn't be too bad on short runs, but on long ones it could start to discolour the carbon too. Whether or not this is true or not, I have no idea I was just gutted because that's the way I wanted to go with mine....
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

dave-sp2 wrote:Hi fella,

it was better in the pictures than it was close up and it was't very nice to ride, my sp was nicer and they are very hard on the body at low speeds and long distances!

when it's finished it will be very cool and nice to ride as well as handling much better!

but at the moment it is still hanging from the shed roof as i have broke my foot and can't do much at all, but i'm getting there, 3 weeks down 3 to go before i get the cast off but i recon in about a week i'll be mobile enough to do short stints in the shed,

the risers are there wit hthe bars, all i have to do is drill the top yoke, it's been marked out for nearly 6 weeks and i still ain't gone the final bit and drilled it which wil tell you i'm not 100% there yet and convinced i'm going all the way. but i do have the extended brake lines and new headlight ready to be modfied to suit, the rear shock has been sorted. i got a cb900 hornet shock and fabricated and extension and new pivot linkge plates so that should raise the back end with honda quality suspension again!!

still looking for a pair of carbon cans but i keep being drawn to them small GP style cans on ebay, cans including link pipes and hangers for £165 which seems a bit of a bargain, has anyone tried them on a storm? i don't want loud, i want a quality sound instead of just an annoying noise that attracts to much attention.

once i'm up and about properly i'll be kicking on with it as spring is in the air!!!!!!!!
I would be interested to hear from anyone that has purchased the exhausts, I think they are good value. I like the titanium ones.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Snoogle wrote:I was speaking to an exhaust builder and he seemed to think that the Storm isn't suited to carbon cans, especially on long runs. Apparently it starts to mess with the stuffing and could possibly start to knacker the carbon if getting too hot. He said it wouldn't be too bad on short runs, but on long ones it could start to discolour the carbon too. Whether or not this is true or not, I have no idea I was just gutted because that's the way I wanted to go with mine....
I have carbon cans on mine ATM, have done for about four years now.
Carbon Can Co ones.
They won't last as long as metal ones, but once all the baffle material blows out they're fine.

What they mean is they aren't as happy to offer a year's warranty on them, as any small cracks in the carbon means that you will be after a replacement pair.

But you can buy replacement sleeves for bout £40 each, so no biggie.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

In that case I may as well buy some of them sleeves and swap them out for my cans :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

PJ engineering is a good place to start.
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

Yeh saw a previous post with their details - safe to say its been saved to my favorites! 8)
dave-sp2

Post by dave-sp2 »

I keep looking at these as they seem a right bargain, but are they gona be mega loud and fall to bits after 2 weeks?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GP-Carbon-Exhaust ... 230ecb19d3

i also like the look of there other ones that are slightly more expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GP-STYLE-Exhaust- ... 336375fcec

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Titanium-Exhaust- ... 230d98cdfc
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

ive been looking at them also . i might treat myself for xmas
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Now this is just my thoughts, don't let it put you off and I have no way of testing this out, but the top one (carbon sleeve one) seems likely to fail around the rivets.
Each power pulse stretches the sleeve a little, normally there's a metal band round the ends which give the rivet something decent to purchase onto, and clamps the carbon so that it can't move.
With the ones pictures I would anticipate that the sleeves would wear around the rivets, and wouldn't last.
Depends on weave thickness, and any internal reinforcement, but at that price don't hold your breath.

The other two should work ok, for myself I like the look of the GP-style ones but would want titanium rather than SS for weight saving.
Karl_h

Post by Karl_h »

Tell you what that's some tasty looking pipes, be interested to see what the middle pair look like on the bike.
dave-sp2

Re: storm to fighter!

Post by dave-sp2 »

well the foot is getting a little better, can gt around now with out the crutches so that all helps,

dragged my stepson out to help me on saturday, bloody hard work that is, he has no go unless it involves the xbox 360 i think he would make love to if he could find a way

anyway got loads more little jobs done, manual CCT's fitted which was scarely easy?? and some of the fairings rubbed down. also got the new rear linkage in and rear shock which wound up chipping of most of the paint i had not long put on it, got some touching up to do now.

then yesterday and today i had a couple of hours out there chasing my tail lol, painted the risers and the bars black yesterday to match the frame, then in bed last night i was unable to switch of as normal and decided i did't like it(but i did decide on the new colour scheme) so got the paint stripper out this morning and took the paint of and re polished them. they match the yokes now and look much better, so got them itted and all the controls in place, just waiting for 2 banjo bolts to come then i can finish the front brakes!

also i brought some mesh as i would like to cut some vents into the front fender but not sure on the size or shape.
2 practise runs.