new firestorm for 2005

General Bike chat
Anonymous

new firestorm for 2005

Post by Anonymous »

Noticed in MCN this week that honda are gonna re-vamp the firestorm for next year .Interested in what views people have as to what they should do,go for a full on make over a complete new bike from back to front to really compete with aprillia and ducati twins or just a mlid re-vamp using some of the old parts me i think get HRC involved and go for it.
simon t

Post by simon t »

1000cc sportsbike, touring capability, £5000, group 14 insurance? Please Honda don't mess too much. Fork job, revised shock and a facelift should do it. Storm fills a gap for us average Joes. Want more, get an SP2.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I think honda could make a bike that does all the things the firestorm does now but mix it with the sp2 and get a better package.
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

Here's what they should do that would cost next to nothing extra:
1. Bigger tank
2. Better camchain tensioners (or, better still - gear-driven cams!)
3. Better R/R (fit the one from the '02 VFR)
4. More comfy ergos.
5. Better suspenders.

And while you're at it, Mr Honda, fix the freakin' gearbox!

Oh yeah - and stop beating the bikes with the ugly stick before you deliver them to dealers! :wink:
<ducking and hiding under desk>
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
Proudest Monkey

Post by Proudest Monkey »

I definately agree... A bigger tank is #1 priority. Gets a bit annoying when you do the Great Ocean Road in a day (about 600K's round trip), it seems you are always at the bloody servo getting fuel.
She's Matte black and FULL-O-BEAUTY
and now sounding sweeter than ever with the new High Rise StainTunes :D

http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/displa ... StainTunes
Neophyte

yeah...

Post by Neophyte »

Bigger tank, maybe 21 or 22 liter.
Better mirrors.
Gear indicator.
Grab handles for pilion.
Smaller indicators.
Better front suspension.
Better CCT or even gears as mentioned above.
vtrick

2005 firestorm

Post by vtrick »

I think It all depends on what Honda decides to do with the sp2. If they continue to produce the sp2,(which I don't think they will). The vew vtr will not change much. fuel injection, suspension & Chassis tweaks, and thats it. If the sp2 goes the way of the dinosaur, gentleman, we'll have a whole new machine. Honda wont build another full touring bike. they already have the, the vfr and the blackbird(new for 2005) why would they build another bike to compete with those two bikes. The New storm IMO, will be more sporting than touring. Lets face it most of us bought the storm, becuase its a great compomise, and the motor. It will contiue that way, but it will be more sporting, if the sp2, goes.
t00lkit

Bigger Tank

Post by t00lkit »

Does the 'storm need a bigger tank, or should Honda look at getting better MPG? Would fuel injection help this?
I'm sure my old fazer was only 19L (like my 2002 storm) and I could get 200m on a tank if you didn't push it.
Built in grab handles would be good.
Following the trend, how about an underseat exaust?
The new Blackbird could be a temptress!
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Look at other recently revamped models in Honda's range if you want clues as to what the changes would be. Take the VFR and Blade for instance. I would be surprised if a revamped VTR didn't have fuel injection, more angular styling (ala VFR), integrated indicators within the mirrors & rear light, probably an underseat exhaust (with catastrophic converter unfortunately). The fuel injection and cat. would be to help meet emissions standards as much as anything else...48mm flatslides aren't the most efficient of setups, and the Varadero has already got FI on the same motor. I'd be surprised also if it didn't have a much better headlight, probably twin-bulb - lets face it they'd be hard pressed to make a worse lamp unit.

Apart from that it'd be great if they could add more fuel range, fix the CCT issues, sort the weak handling & put some proper f*&king stoppers on it. I can't see the SP2 being around for much longer, it's not been the 916-beater they hoped and hasn't sold particularly well.
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
barrioplano

Post by barrioplano »

Love the VTR but here is my wish list, should there be a 2005 model:

Please no exhaust under the seat!
Increase storage space instead (and make the seat easier to remove).

Improve mileage: driving in town I used to be able to make 17 km/l with my Citroen AX (950cc, 700kg), how come I can only make 12km/l on a 998cc VTR that weights 200kg?

Brighter front light.

Less vibrations at high rpm.

All those stories about CCT are scary... would like hear the problem has been addressed.
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

barrioplano wrote:Improve mileage: driving in town I used to be able to make 17 km/l with my Citroen AX (950cc, 700kg), how come I can only make 12km/l on a 998cc VTR that weights 200kg?
Simple answer: Your Citroen won't hit 155mph.

:wink2 :mrgreen:
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
CHUGNUT

Post by CHUGNUT »

the only thing i don't like about my 03 storm is the noise it makes
when changing from 1st to 2nd.
everything else is just fine thanks. :lol:

no doubt honda will want to bring the syling up to date but i hope
they don't mess too much.
problem is... it'll stretch my finances if i have to go and buy another! :P :P
but........that's they way we've always done it

Dino
barrioplano

Post by barrioplano »

firestorm996 wrote: Simple answer: Your Citroen won't hit 155mph.
:wink2 :mrgreen:
Well, I do not usually hit 155 mph in Tokyo... couldn't the engine be a little bit more parsimonious when I don't use all the power it can output? :(
johnmartinclark26

05 wish list

Post by johnmartinclark26 »

It depends which market they aim the new VTR at? sport touring or supersports?

They've got the VFR for the sport touring market but they haven't got anything to compete against the RSV or 999. If they go for this market they will bring out RCV replica with a v twin engine, but they got the new 1000cc blade to do this battle.

If they bring out a bike its going to be competing against the SV1000.

It will probably have a retuned sp2 lump in it + an all new chassis, blade front and rear suspension & decent brakes. It will probably have an underseat exhaust because that is the current trend & it will probably look like a half faired RCV. Why? so that some of the glory from motogp rubs off on it.

It takes honda around 4 years to design & build a new bike, so it makes you wonder what they have been doing for the last 7 years?

could they be bringing out a 650 version to? that could be fun :D

JMC
Hooner

Have

Post by Hooner »

seen a piccy on the B/bird site of a v-twin Honda (concept bike) ...it`s luverly....... :biggrin
will post a copy on the gallery in Misc.....

[/img]
Ride it like ya stole it !