bafflectomy and fuel problems

General Bike chat
gored996

bafflectomy and fuel problems

Post by gored996 »

good evening all , have a few questions if i may. first of all i bought a superhawk 996 (1998) a few months back with erion racing pipes which worked superb. i got in a accident, all cosmedic damage, and losted my aftermarket pipes. i just rebuilt the bike and bought a set of stock can with a bafflectomy preformed to them on ebay. the stock jetting is in the bike and the stock filter also. on my first test ride i found that i have a fuel problem and this is what happens;sinario 1 I choke the bike in the full out position, it goes to about 3 grand and stays there for about 3 minutes, at this time the rpm drops to about 600 -800 and is stuggling to stay running. when i push in the choke it dies.sinario 2 after engine in warm, in netural ,idle to about 4000 rpm throttle response stuggles horribly. seems to be the first 1/4 of throttle that i am have problems. i have no problem idleing after engine is warm and as long as my rpm are above 5000 rpm the throttle reponses beautifully. i am thinking that the non baffled pipes have no back pressure with in return is causing a serious lean condition. i just ordered a dynojet stage 1 kit and a k&n filter to put in but i have no idea the specs to dial in a vtr with the bafflectomy cans on board. if you have installed this kit with this set up i would greatly appeciate it if you could inform me how to set this up! finally is the pilot screw covered by a brass plug that must be tapped out to get to the screw?...go red 996
superchicken 996
Ronald T.

same problem here close to a solution..........

Post by Ronald T. »

funny, I have a 98 hawk with the same problem, although It has bone stock exhaust,(no bafflectomy), I experiened a great degree of success when I had my carbs syncd up. Howver after a few days of riding the problem re-occured. as far as the covering over the air mixture screw, that is a way honda tries to deter riders from adjusting the mixture themselves, in the U.S. california has really strict emission standards and thats were that procedure was invented for. So, try sincronizing the carbs and getting a little richer on the air fuel mixture, good luck... let me know how you did.
gored996

thank you for the info

Post by gored996 »

THANKS FOR THE INFO, DO I NEED TO DRILL AND EASY OUT THE PLUG TO GET TO THE MIXTURE SCREW.
superchicken 996