Hello

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Phoenix

Hello

Post by Phoenix »

Not quite sure where to start but hello to everyone, I am the owner of a 1998 Firestorm FW in black although I have gone crazy with just about anything gold from Pro-Bolt. The bike has a chequered history although only two owners including myself appear on the log book. As soon as I work out the system I will down load some picture, although a couple did appear in Streetfighter a couple of months ago.
Anotherbikerbabe

Re: Hello

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

Hello & welcome

Great bike aren't they! I love mine. Enjoy the forum as guys are really helpful. ABB. :thumbup:
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Chequered, with gold Pro-Bolts?
Cant wait for them pix....

Hi, BTW....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

:D Welcome Aboard :D
Just host your pictures on another site like Flicker or Photo bucket and then post a link on here :thumbup: Simples :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:
SP1's rock!
Phoenix

Suspension settings

Post by Phoenix »

I wonder if anyone can help, i keep hearing about returning the front forks back to standard settings, does anyone know what these are? I dont have any settings that use the standard springs and weight of oil? Although I do realise that at 12 years old the forks may need a major overhaul. I have checked the tyres (36/42) and the brakes (for drag), all the bolts seem nipped up correctly but the bike tends to oscilate from the front end at both low and high speed 40-60 mph seems ok.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

what do you mean by oscillate?
might just be the wheels want balancing,or depending on the mileage could be wheel bearings, headstock bearings, warped discs. egged tyre...

copy the pdf manual in the workshop section & get to know the bike better :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

No matter what's been done to your front end it shouldn't oscillate.

But if you want I have some spare standard fork springs, seem to recall Honda put 10 or 15wt in, Haynes'll tell you for sure.

+1 on other reasons, though.
Tyres, balance, pressures and do the wheels line up ok?
Don't trust the marks on the swingarm, they're always out.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Phoenix :thumbup:

I hope you've cured your oscillating problem, or at least figured out what's causing it.

Chris.
Phoenix

Suspension gremlins

Post by Phoenix »

Many thanks for the advice, still not sure what the problem is with the bike but I will sort it. Asthe Storm is twelve years old the front end may just be a bit tired. I think is running the standard weight oil and when I measured (on the work top in the kitchen) one of the springs is very slightly longer than the other, I think new springs are required, has anyone replaced theirs and if so with what manufacturerhas achieved the best results?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

go to wemoto and treat the bike to some wirth progressive springs (the cheaper hagon are rough as crouton ive been informed...)
vastly improves the handling of the bike in corners & when braking
also re the 'oscillation', while you have the bike apart, check for wear inernally on the spacers and sliders.
tapered headstock bearings make the steering feel more positive too - not got the part number to hand but it's listed on wemoto.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

So are they not tapered standard???? coz mine where when it was apart, and where in very good nick, but in need of adjustment.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

yup the standard springs are progressively wound - tighter coils at one end than tother, but are still sh1t!
when i took my old ones out i was surprised to find they were so short and progressive.
then i took my spare ones (yours) apart and they were the same 8O
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

I was actually on about the headstock bearings :) the one in the bttom yolk and the one at the top :)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

marlbororman wrote:So are they not tapered standard???? coz mine where when it was apart, and where in very good nick, but in need of adjustment.
Ian,
No, the standard head race bearings are the ball bearing type. Someone must have replaced yours at some point. Tapered head bearings are the way to go IMHO, much better.

Chris.