Opinions On: WindJammer II

General Bike chat
keepy

Opinions On: WindJammer II

Post by keepy »

Ok then, as the title suggests I wondering if anyones used the windjammer II from Proline?

http://www.proline-sports.co.uk/acatalo ... er_21.html

Since getting my Firestorm I've noticed (its hard to miss) that the Screen's turbulant air is directed straight to the bottom of my helmet (around my neck) and makes a LOT of noise! 8O

If I....

a) Hunch my shoulders up to seal the bottom of my helmet... noise stops
b) lift my head slightly (to a point where its just past compfortable) out of the Screens airstream... Noise Greatly reduces

So I'm just owndering if anyone has used this windjammer and from what I've read on it, its trying to target the area that I'm having problems with..

Other things if it makes a difference...

1. I wear earplugs.... Wickes' Orange ones, pretty good at blocking out noise, but I've ordered a test-pack from 'Lucy Dell Earplugs' to try out some other ones and see if I can find owt better.
2. My Helmet is the Arai Condor, due to be changed soon, once the insurance company ponies up the rest of the cash.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: Opinions On: WindJammer II

Post by Pete.L »

Sounds like a good idea :thumbup:
It's only a tenner, you could be our test dummy and report back :mrgreen:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
rmh

Post by rmh »

I have a SHOEI XR1000 and it is really bad...

SHOEI do an optional Whisper Kit which is about £30 and makes a difference... i steered clear of the windjammer as there are some comment that it does not fit well on the shell shape for a SHOEI, but may be fine with an ARAI... but maybe ARAI do something similar to the Whisper kit...

Check Racevisors or somewhere that does genuine ARAI spares....

Rob
Rob Hunter

VTR1000 '99 / BMW S1000XR - 2016
keepy

Post by keepy »

Righty then... check for Arai accessories and there isn't a dedicated wind deflector type thing for all the way around... just one that goes under your chin.

So... I've plumped for the Proline one... I'll give it a good test and post back my results!

I was thinking of changing to the Shoei Raid II (I'm due for a change soon from when I was knocked off the Hornet) but, I might hold out until I'v egiven this a try :-)
kevg

Post by kevg »

The aria i have has a pull down wind deflector under the chin, it's the Astro J. can't say that it makes much difference to me though.
cheerz

kev
futterbingers

Post by futterbingers »

I read a post from earlier, about earplugs, there's people on ebay selling the 'rocket'shaped green earplugs (can't remember the name - lazer?) which are very cheap and very good. I bought a bag of 75 pairs 4 years ago, cost me around £15.
Just a thought
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

keepy wrote:
I was thinking of changing to the Shoei Raid II
excellent lid. im on my 2nd one and canhighly recommend it.
very light, airy, comfortable and silent / stable at ridiculous speeds.
superb value for one of the cheapest in the shoei range.
compared to my agv / nolan which made me feel like a nodding dog over a ton and left my ears ringing all day.

you dont get used to the noise btw - you go deaf. :whatever
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Re Earplugs

Pink squidgy foam ones, from the chemist, Ohh err Mrs!

Only £1.99 for 2 pairs, the important thing is to pull the ear upwards with the opposing hand, then the plugs go in better.
This may be obvious, but it wasn't to me. When you have them in right they seem too quiet and when you take them out the world is just TOO DAMN NOISY
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

I'm on my 3rd ROOF now (and had a bad smash in one, only lost 2 teeth)

Very quiet and comfy. it has a small chin piece which deflects turbulence.
Pauline has a ROOF too - I bought the chin piece from an HJC which fitted hers perfectly.

I use "Earsoft" or "Maxlite" earplugs, soft foam - or M&P noise cancelling earphones with the iPhone. I'm very aware of the noise damage caused by biking....

Buy your earplugs in bulk - it's a huge saving.

The only butt with the ROOF is the time it takes to change the visor - it ain't no ARAI...
=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

=====================================================
keepy

Post by keepy »

Ok, quick update so far.

Fitted the WindJammer on Friday night... took about 2 minutes including unrapping. very easy to stick on, although you dont really stick it on, its more grippy rubber if you know what I mean.

Took the bike out for a ride on Sunday, sweaty as feck as I got stuck behind everything imaginable between Macclesfield - Buxton and Back again... and its was a hot'un anyway! Didnt get any decent speed up, but I did notice 2 things:

1) the road noise came right down
2) it did get a little toast up there and when going slow I needed to get the lid open to get a little more air in.

I did also find that as I was doing quite a lot of Left right looking at T-Junctions (more than I would normally on a commute, it did start rubbing a bit above my adams apple.

All in all it did make a difference, but not a drastic amount on a sunday ride out with no motorway

Took it to work today, and again it did take the noise right down from the bottom of the helmet so does definitely work in that respect.... and the motorway I got plenty of air in through the vents with no need to lift the lid

however, It did highlight that the bottom opening on the helmet isnt the only noisey part of the Arai Condor, if my head is pointing straight forward the Windjammer Cancels out nearly all really Loud noise... If I tilt my head down slightly (a more natural position) the helmet caught wind around the sides (i think the covers that go over the end of the visor) as if they were scooping the air like a cup..... This was nearly as loud as the noise that I was getting from the bottom of the helmet without the windjammer

DO I recommend the WindJammer? Yes, if your doing a lot of motorway Miles, and on another helmet this may be even better.

Will I keep wearing the WindJammer, yes for Commuting, but I'd be tempted to take it off when on a rideout through the hills, just because it really comes into its own at high speeds...

I post back as to how it wears over the next few weeks months...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Fit rorty open race cans, flip up screen* and then wear boots silicone earplugs** :thumbup:

* http://gallery.me.com/spaderunner#100267

** http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Soft-Sili ... 203%20pack
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i noticed the noise difference in changing from a genuine shoei visor to a copy one.
dunno why, its just as thick and seals well...
seems it makes more of a wind rushing noise than with the std one.

never fancied a windjammer tbh - i have really bad breath and like a bit of fresh air circulating :?
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.