Bike cam

General Biker Banter
marlbororman

Bike cam

Post by marlbororman »

Ive got a really good bullet cam, which im gunna mount back on the bike. i used to have it hooked up to a camcorder for recording and got really good results. but thinking bout going digital.

I found this media recorder with built in 4gb ram, expandable with 16gb more. Just wondering if anyone else has had reasonable results with anything similar ? before i make the switch.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
benny hedges

Re: Bike cam

Post by benny hedges »

i've bought 3 different cams and tbh you're better off just saving a few bob and get a gopro.
even the std definition ones are great, no sound quality issues, easy to mount and top vid quality.
works best with good quality sd cards with a fast write rate.

i'm sure others will agree it's still the best on the market.
mine's a gopro surf 5mp, set me back 90 quid and is superb value tbh, just used it for snorkelling too so it's proper waterproof.

only person ive heard of with bad reports was timbo complaining of vibration wobbles but that's cos he's got a cb and it shakes like a rampant rabbit on full whack :lol:
i can say that cos he's in italy lol :lol:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

looks good, loads of different options too. can you plug external power source in for powering on the bike, or are you restricted to battery power only ? also if battery only can it run on standard aaa rechargable cells? also, where you got it mounted?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

benny hedges wrote:i've bought 3 different cams and tbh you're better off just saving a few bob and get a gopro.
even the std definition ones are great, no sound quality issues, easy to mount and top vid quality.
Benny,
When you say easy to mount do you mean behind the screen :?: The reason I ask is I have found this not always such a straight forward thing with quite a few camera's if you want to mount it elsewhere rather than behind the screen.

Chris.
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

it wouldnt see much behind my screen :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

marlbororman wrote:it wouldnt see much behind my screen :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: I have a very similar problem :)

Chris.
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

im just looking at the helmet mounts, they are really small :)

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/GoPro-Moto ... O-WIDE.htm

check out the sample video
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

Just looking at em again, is that a small screen on the front ??? for a view finder ???
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

marlbororman wrote:looks good, loads of different options too. can you plug external power source in for powering on the bike, or are you restricted to battery power only ? also if battery only can it run on standard aaa rechargable cells? also, where you got it mounted?
the new hd go pro has an external power hole (afaik) and has a rechargeable battery like a fone.
the one ive got (same as in your link but with a surfboard mount included) takes 2 aaa and yes you can use nicad rechargeable - recommended.
on duracells i get over a hr recording.
it doesn't have a playback screen but has a viewfinder and small lcd display showing the different functions.
i had mine stuck the the side of the fairing but havent really used it yet tbh, not on the bikes anyway
you can get a tiny suction pad mount to stick on the mudguard or tank - i bought a clear screen to film through and show the clocks and forward view, but then smashed it up lol.

it will get plenty of use this summer tho :thumbup:
ebay or gopro site have a 'grab-bag' of assorted self adhesive mounts. the base fixes to any flat or curved surface with a 3m stickypad and then the camera clicks into place onto it.
also sticks to your lid but tbh i didnt fancy that :roll:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

hmmm the hd one is a bit more than i wanted to pay,although the quality is outstanding in the sample videos onsite.

Have you any sample videos taken on yours yet?

As for battery life,suppose ya could always carry a few sets with ya, they are small enough, Alongwith a few spare sd cards :)

Im really contemplating one of these to replace my bulky setup which im currently using.

Cheers for the help Benny :)
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

mine is just the normal definition 5mp one - pick them up on ebay for less than a ton. easy to tell the difference as the older 3mp one doesn't have the metal pushbuttons on the case, plastic ones iirc.
i saw one place doing them for 105 brand new so try googling....
well worth it.
i'll put some vids up on youtube soon as i can, but there's probably loads already yhere if you search gopro :thumbup:
geodude

Post by geodude »

I have the GoPro 5 Motorsports Hero (Non-HD) set up and this vid is from it.

[youtube][/youtube]

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 42&start=0

In fact all the vids on my channel are with the GoPro 5

Battery life is the only downside imho. A set of 2 energiser ultimate lithium are good for approx 2 1/2 to 3 hours of footage. When they get low the camera cuts out and unless you can see the view finder or the front, you wouldn't know it had stopped recording.

The cheapest I have found these on ebay is £12 for 12

The HD one does indeed come with a rechargeable lithium battery mobile phone style.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

Nice vids mate, i subscribed to ya thread....Hope ya dont mind :) Its reasonable quality, although i know youtube always nicks a bit :) On par i think with my bullet cam / camcorder setup. With the exception that with this you could put mouts in diferent places and move about without re routing cables all the time :) I like.

The motorsport version seems the better option with all the extra mounts, This could be just wot im looking for :)
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOPRO-Hero-WIDE-5 ... 335d28fb64 is the £105 free delivery seller.
the grab bag of mounts is about 15 quid.

theres a used one at 51 but 3 days left.
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

Just looked at yer ebay link, to be honest with adding the extra on for the mounts, the Price is near enough the same, so might be better off going for this http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/GoPro-Moto ... O-WIDE.htm For £125

Free next day uk delivery too. Plus you know the 1 year warrantee is gunna be honored good too

Just concerned bout what geo said about battery life though. I just wonder if ya could get the rechargeable lithium batteries and they would give an hour or so recording. if so it wouldnt hurt to chang batteries when changing the mem card at stops :)