Alarm Meta/Datatool

General Bike chat
W@zzA

Alarm Meta/Datatool

Post by W@zzA »

My Meta 351A has just packed up! Its been ok untill I disconected the bike batt and I think its the back up nicads inside the alarm shot and since it lost a power supply has refused to work. I phoned Meta and asked for technical dept so as to confirm my thoughts but was told to go to a dealer asked if I could send the unit in to be checked and was told to go to a dealer, asked if I could by a replacement unit and was told that it's no longer produced and I'll have to buy a new alarm and have it fitted as the wirng is different :!: Fook that not paying another £280 to just to replace an alarm unit that 4 yrs old.
SO DONT BUY A META ALARM they have no customer backup and are only interested in getting more money off you :evil:
So have any of you had technical dealings with Datatool :?: have they been helpfull :?: and have they solved problems at less cost than repacing an entire alarm system :?:
Also has anyone got the new system 3 :?: any good :?:
If it aint got the throb it don't do the job! PB.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

I have the system 3 on my VTX, no problems at all but nor have I with the Meta.

I do have a loom for a VTR with a Datatool alarm already attached to it with both fobs if you want to pop round or somit.

Del.
W@zzA

alarm

Post by W@zzA »

Mornin Del,
Do you know if the system 3 has a standard multi pin plug I can get from R.S. (red book) :?: I think what I'll do is seeing that I've spent a couple of days hard wiring the meta loom (and everything else) and I Know what each wire does, I'm gonna get a system 3 and fit it using existing wiring for the Meta :!:

Warren
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

I don't know mate as the VTX is at a shop in southend now. How dya plan on getting a system 3 without having it fitted as I don't think you can buy them with any form of fitting/wiring instructions. As far as I am aware they are a Cat1? or 2? and can only be purchased including fitting to keep them secure?.

Del.
W@zzA

Alarm

Post by W@zzA »

Ebay :!: £140 with fitting instructions. I used to fit car alarms for a living and I'm not paying someone to fit it when I can spend twice as long doing a better job :!: Just been looking at the new Acumen Cat 1 looks good.
What I want is to be able to programme out a transmitter if it gets nicked. You can have 4 transmitters on a Clifford car alarm so if you loose one you can programme in another and it'll loose the 1st one programme it in again and it'll loose the 2nd one and so on till youve programmed out the lost one and they used to have life time waranty :!:

Warren
RAINMAKER

question

Post by RAINMAKER »

maybe you can answer this..........
Meta 357T fitted.......can I use ordinary battery charger while everthing is connected, or if I disconect battery will this bugger up the alarm/immobiliser. Will be getting optimate III soon so think that will be ok but for now need to use ordinary charger. Paul.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Paul.
DON'T leave your battery charger on for too long. If its an old standard charger with no voltage or current regulation thats the fastest way to Knacker your battery.(I've buggard two :oops: ).
They have a tendancey to change the discharge characteristics of your battery and then you get all sorts of starting problems(and we don't need anymore thankyou).
Get your optimate sooner rather than later. You can leave that plugged in all the time,It's even designed to cope with alarms/imobilisers.

Pete.l
RAINMAKER

charger

Post by RAINMAKER »

Cheer Pete.L

will take your advice and order one before wife confiscates credit card.

Paul.
W@zzA

Alarms

Post by W@zzA »

Just been in touch with Acumen today and their new Cat 1 sounds the Biz loads of good features including: left on indicator warning, Hazard lights,
Over charging warning etc etc check out http://www.acumen-electronics.co.uk
SILVTR

Post by SILVTR »

I've a Datatool System 3. All well so far (1500 miles), but I've had to jump the VTR off my wife's car on cold mornings (aren't they all?). My Optimate 3 is at home waiting for me as I write, but I don't really like the idea of leaving my shed with power overnight (power from house via RCB, which I usually disconnect overnight) - anyone any ideas?

Pete, I note your comment "(and we don't need anymore thankyou)" about starting problems - are VTRs bad starters generally?
94 Corolla and a big goo for an R1150GS
Jacey Boy

Post by Jacey Boy »

Guy had this trouble on my bike before I bought it with the 351a Meta, he took it to the dealer who fitted it and they sorted it for a fee :twisted:
Jacey Boy
2000/W SP1
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Silvtr,
I think the short and simple answer to your question is Yes.
In the cold they can be absolute pigs. A lot of modern bikes dont like the cold starts and in my opinion if the damn things just had a bigger battery the problem would be solved. But don,t worry Summers coming and the hassle of cold mornings will soon be gone :lol:
Pete.l