Heel guards

General Bike chat
VTRBOY

Heel guards

Post by VTRBOY »

Can anyone help me source some genuine carbon heel guards. I can't find any anywhere (obviously not looking hard enough) but after three hours on the 'net this evening I'm close to giving up. Must be proper carbon and not the lookalike stuff. Thanks for your time.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

if they are flat then I can make you some, any size or shape you want.

Del.
Boon

Post by Boon »

Del
If you can make them what would be the approx cost ,As i ordered some from Harris about 3 months ago & still have,nt seen them.
Also took your advice about sprockets & went out today for the 1st trip on a 43t back sprocket :lol: & u can feel the difference in the gearin almost immediately ,what is the % difference on the speedo read out. :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Dom
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

Dell.
If it helps, I may be interested as well. Ive got some Harris healguards for my rearsets and to be honest the guards are rubbish (very flexible and bend to much when your heel presses against them) so if you can make a stronger alternative I'd be in the market for them
Phil
VTRBOY

Post by VTRBOY »

Thanks for the info guys.

Del - Been readin' through some of the pevious threads - is there anything you can't do!!??!! :D It was't until I went out to the garage about 2 o'clock this mornin to do a bit of polishing (come on we've all done it!) that I noticed that the stock pegs/heel guards are all one - what a tw@ - honestly never noticed before.

Boon - I know with a 15t front the speedo is something like 7% out meaning showing 30mph you're doing something like 28mph - but don't quote me on it :)
Boon

Post by Boon »

Cheers Vtrboy
I don,t actually think there is a massive margin on the speedo :lol:

Blackstorm
with your rearsets do you find your heels digging into the tyre when on the twistys as both heels on my boots have big Vs in them :lol: (also ground away most of the chain guard) i,ve tried CBR heel plates & find them to small.
So maybe del could save my boots :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Dom
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Err, dunno, say £32 incl P&P, is you make a cardboard or paper template of the shape you want and you current heal guards (will need them to cut the holes at the right centres etc) then I'll do em within a week but will try and do then within 2 days and get em back in the post. You can have what ever shape you want just make the templates and mark which is left and right and which side is facing inwards, job done. I'll have to check tomorrow to see how much carbon fibre I have (if you want a set) in the garage but I think I have enough. It's about 3 to 5mm thick and I've used it to hang my moriwaki system from my subframe so it's well strong.

mail us at delmeekc@ntlworld.com

Del.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Also when you make the template actually check it on the alloy hangers to check it clears everything before you send em.

Del.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Reading from the chart here:

http://www.bikehps.com/ProductFiles/Ren ... ckets.html

16/43 is 2.69
Standard ratio is 2.56

It is about -4.8%

2.56/2.69*30(mph)=28.55
2.56/2.69*100=95.17

Remember your odometer will be out too.

I have seen some lovely heel plates in the shape of the Honda wings. Think they were special HRC jobs but can't remember now.
Boon

Post by Boon »

Cheers for the info :lol: :lol:
Dom
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

The problem with my heel guards is that they flex to much and bend into the chainguard/hugger. The gearlever side is gradually wearing a groove in the chain guard. Ive contacted Harris but basickly they dont appear to give a toss.

Dell the guard on the brake side is stepped to clear the rear brake master cylinder, does that cause you a problem. I could send you my guards as apattern if it would help?
Phil
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

How much clearance is needed, could just use 2 little alloy spacers or somit.

Del.
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

i might be interested in a set of them to cover the origonals up at some point........

add that to list of "still to be done....." :wink:
stormin

heel guards

Post by stormin »

hi give shawn taylor racing a try 01508 480055 they have some carbon fibre can protectors that might fit thejob
Boon

Post by Boon »

Del
If blackstorm has a pattern for harris rearset heel guards could be the answer to the problem,

Blackstorm
I have a blade heel plate on the gear side that also is crap (to small)as my heel has pushed against the chain guard lovely V in it also its rubbing againt the tyre :( hence grooves in the heels on my boots :( not very safe
Cheers
Dom