Tyres...what should i fit

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
rmh

Tyres...what should i fit

Post by rmh »

After doing the Bennetts Donnington track day in Sept last year i have been warned at the mot tht my tyres are toast :eek2
Both are worn down and also shredded

So the question is what tyres are good for a storm, i dont do a lot of milage so longevity is not a major issue but also dont normally do the track day thing although i really enjoyed it .....i think the existing ar BT010
Rob Hunter

VTR1000 '99 / BMW S1000XR - 2016
geodude

Re: Tyres...what should i fit

Post by geodude »

I just had Michelin Pilot Road 2 fitted and done about 300 miles on them. 75% of that has been in the wet. They are awesome tyres in the wet and seem pretty good dry. I had BT020 before which are also great tyres but not if you do 50 miles of motorway a day. They started to square off at about 5000 miles and lasted 7500ish.

If i didnt commute and wasnt worried about longevity, I would give these ago

http://www.michelin.co.uk/michelinuk/en ... 20828.html
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
MJONESY

Post by MJONESY »

my bro runs pilot road 2s on his blade he got 5k out of the last back tyre including 3 track days although it did let go on the last track day he did :oops:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

yeh ive got pilot 2 on mine and they are very very good tyres.
plenty of grip right betond the point of no return! still got a line of stalks round the edges.
agree with the wet performance - obviously you don't ride as hard in the rain, but they don't slip at all.

on my 750 ive got avon road riders and they are almost as good imo for a budget tyre,
if it wasn't for the 16" front i couldve got a pair for £99.
before that it had the original metzelers on and they still had tread on at 17k!!!
but it handled like an aldi trolley!

a lot of riders swear by maxxis - again nice and cheap but stick like sh1t.
shop around for a pair deal.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

Avon Storm 2 Ultras :thumbup:
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Love the Dunlop Roadsmarts I have fitted- best ever feedback in the wet and slippery stuff, but also mucho grip in the dry.

Funny thing is; whatever you fit they'll feel superb compared to your old ones (once they're scrubbed in) in anything except dry, hot conditions and so you'll think that sliced bread has something to learn from them.

And any differences in turn-in and sidewall rigidity are things you just get used to.

Unless you compare them back to back there's no real answer to this one, depends very much on what your riding style is, whether you ride commuting every day no matter what the weather or it's just for dry Sundays, etc, etc. And that's without how you ride it, do you get to the edges, or just the edges of the tarmac bit, how confident you are, how you use the power, whether braking stability is more important that handling and grip, etc, etc, etc.

Oh, and there's longevity, double/triple compounds help, and Avon (I think) do a warranty- if you have a puncture within the first 1 mm of wear they'll give you a new one- You'll boil your brain trying to get a definitive answer.

And lastly, once you've found your perfect tyres, when you come to renew them you'll find that the bloody manufacturers have brought out some new, even better, rounder, blacker etc alternatives so once again you won't know what to pick.

Sorry 'bout this; I expect you were after a straight answer :D
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
geodude

Post by geodude »

tony.mon wrote:Love the Dunlop Roadsmarts I have fitted- best ever feedback in the wet and slippery stuff, but also mucho grip in the dry.

Funny thing is; whatever you fit they'll feel superb compared to your old ones (once they're scrubbed in) in anything except dry, hot conditions and so you'll think that sliced bread has something to learn from them.

And any differences in turn-in and sidewall rigidity are things you just get used to.

Unless you compare them back to back there's no real answer to this one, depends very much on what your riding style is, whether you ride commuting every day no matter what the weather or it's just for dry Sundays, etc, etc. And that's without how you ride it, do you get to the edges, or just the edges of the tarmac bit, how confident you are, how you use the power, whether braking stability is more important that handling and grip, etc, etc, etc.

Oh, and there's longevity, double/triple compounds help, and Avon (I think) do a warranty- if you have a puncture within the first 1 mm of wear they'll give you a new one- You'll boil your brain trying to get a definitive answer.

And lastly, once you've found your perfect tyres, when you come to renew them you'll find that the bloody manufacturers have brought out some new, even better, rounder, blacker etc alternatives so once again you won't know what to pick.

Sorry 'bout this; I expect you were after a straight answer :D
A spot on response. tony is soooo right.

You need to decide
  • * Exactly what you want from your ride
    * How long you would like them to last
    * How much grip you want
    * Ratio dry:wet riding
    * and most importantly your budget
Once you have this, it will be fairly easy to decide what to go for (in theory anyways)
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
Giddsy

Post by Giddsy »

Maxxis sports touring or if you're after more sporty ones go for maxxis sports - only heard goof things about their tyres and save a load too...
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Pilot Road 2CTs are awesome tyres for road use, but in my limited experience they overheat on the track (especially if the ambient temperatures are hig-not that that is likely at the moment).

Scout about and pick up a set of Racetec scrubs....£60/70 will get a set that'll be awesome on the track and superb on dry roads.

Or a set of Maxxiss Supermaxx tyres...I use them on my GSXR600 trackbike....great tyres for the money.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Zakalwe wrote: Or a set of Maxxiss Supermaxx tyres...I use them on my GSXR600 trackbike....great tyres for the money.
on ebay atm there are 2 separate pair deals on maxxis - £129 a pair which is pretty damn good imo.

also another pair deal on avons for 139.

noticed in mcn the other week there's a place doing avons at £99 a pair - beat that, plus you get the puncture warranty.
same ad is there every week - the pic shown is for 120/17 and 180/17 but think it applies to all pairs.
sometimes it works out cheaper to change front and back together rather than just the rear.
but don't forget you will need them balancing as well and most places charge a disposal fee as well.

also on fleabay i saw a brand new avon rear in a private sale, at around £30. worth looking.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

benny hedges wrote:
Zakalwe wrote: also another pair deal on avons for 139.

noticed in mcn the other week there's a place doing avons at £99 a pair - beat that, plus you get the puncture warranty.
same ad is there every week - the pic shown is for 120/17 and 180/17 but think it applies to all pairs.
sometimes it works out cheaper to change front and back together rather than just the rear.
but don't forget you will need them balancing as well and most places charge a disposal fee as well.

also on fleabay i saw a brand new avon rear in a private sale, at around £30. worth looking.

Viper Extremes? Really good tyres too, and often overlooked (Ron Haslam uses them on his race school bikes).

Do you have a linky?
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Zakalwe wrote:
Viper Extremes? Really good tyres too, and often overlooked (Ron Haslam uses them on his race school bikes).

Do you have a linky?
no. been on there all fkin day sick of lookin at links lol.
but there is a bt02 for 45 as well, finishes at 10pm

ebay search for bike tyres shows a few nice deals.
i'll have a look in mcn after for the avon pair deal :thumbup:
rmh

Post by rmh »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.....

As i dont do much milage and only really dry leisure although i "might" try another trackday i think i will go for something a bit sticky and to hell with the budget. I think its probably the lowest milage Storm on here anyway 8O

Anyway i use the KTM 950 Supermoto when its a bit iffy or like today when the raod surface is pants.....
That bike is such a laugh when the road is rough and it goes like stink with the front sprocket dropped a tooth.... :D

Rob
Rob Hunter

VTR1000 '99 / BMW S1000XR - 2016