STARTING PROBLEMS(AGAIN)

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sepia

STARTING PROBLEMS(AGAIN)

Post by sepia »

I MUST BE WINNING THE NO LUCK STAKES BY NOW,LOL.

AFTER GETTING BIKE STARTED FROM NO SPARK PROBLEM LAST WEEK,THOUGHT ALL WAS WELL.

ON SATURDAY STARTED BIKE FOR WORK,STRUGGLED A WEE BIT.WENT TO LOCAL SHOP 1ST & JUST STARTED WHEN CAME OUT.WENT BACK HOME TO DROP OFF SOMETHING & BIKE WOULDNT START.NOT ENOUGH BATTERY POWER.WENT TO MATES & GOT JUMP START & BORROWED CHARGER(AGAIN).

WENT TO WORK & CHARGED BATTERY.STARTED NO PROBLEM.DROVE 70 MILES TO DUNDEE.STOPPED TWICE & STARTED OK.HAD SPARE BATTERY @ GIRLFRIENDS SO CHARGED THAT OVER NIGHT & PUT IN BIKE,THEN CHARGED THE ONE I TOOK OUT OVER NIGHT.

THIS MORNING BIKE STARTED OK.DROVE HOME 70MILES.STOPPED @ SHOP & STARTED OK.LEFT WORK LUNCHTIME BIKE STARTED OK.LEFT WORK TONIGHT STARTED OK.WENT TO PETROL STATION & WHEN WENT TO START NOT ENOUGH POWER TO START BIKE.HAD TO PUSH HOME.

GOT CHARGER AGAIN & BATTERY WAS DOWN BUT JUST LAST GREEN LIGHT NOT LIT.HAD ON CHARGE FOR AN HOUR(SLOW CHARGE) & LAST GREEN LIGHT NEARLY DONE.

SO WITH ALL MY 3 WEEKS KNOW HOW ON VTR'S.WOULD I BE RIGHT & ITS REGULATOR/RECTIFIER KNACKED.

DID NOTICE BATTERY HAD A BIT OF HEAT WHEN TOOK OUT(WAS WARM,BUT BIKE HADNT RUNNING FOR HALF AN HOUR).THINK STARTER OK.DIDNT HAVE MUCH POWER TO TURN IT BUT WASNT HOT LIKE WHEN BUST BEFORE.

HAD SPARE BATTERY IN BAG TODAY,BUT DIDNT KNOW IF TO LEAVE @ HOME OR @ WORK.YOU GUSSED IT,I LEFT @ WORK,LOL.

THANKS FOR ANY INFO,AGAIN.

STEVE.
benny hedges

Re: STARTING PROBLEMS(AGAIN)

Post by benny hedges »

yeh m8 rr is fkt.
i'd check the genny coils as well cos thats what caused it on my 750.
about battery getting hot - a mate checked his rr and found it stuffing 18v into the battery - pickled it.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
sepia

Post by sepia »

benny hedges wrote:yeh m8 rr is fkt.
i'd check the genny coils as well cos thats what caused it on my 750.
about battery getting hot - a mate checked his rr and found it stuffing 18v into the battery - pickled it.
thanks,what is genny coils.

i did have no spark problem last week.but bike was turner over heaps with battery but just no spark.

i think r&r as i am getting about 5/6 starts before not enough power left to turn over.so take it battery not keeping charge.

just one thing.dosnt battery get knacked if r&r broke.every time take battery out to charge it hasnt lost lots of power & charges up quick.

steve.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

er dunno bud, i got told that once you let them go completely flat they are never same again.
i used 3 batteries in 6mth on the cbx so sounds about right tbh.
genny coils... follow the wires from the rr down on the left (i think) of the engine - not really looked on the storm, but on the cbx750 its under a vented cover just above the gbox cog.
easy to pull the coils out.
i found one winding was grounded, probably that what killed my rr.
got new set from tony at pitstop in leigh 01942 684684, top guy - if he can help you he will :D
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
sepia

Post by sepia »

batterys havnt been flat.once i dont have enough power to turn starter i know it wont work.so i take out to charge & charges up quick.battery has enough power to work the rest.cant see it being the starter connection as it starts great with full battery power.cheers.
benny hedges wrote:er dunno bud, i got told that once you let them go completely flat they are never same again.
i used 3 batteries in 6mth on the cbx so sounds about right tbh.
genny coils... follow the wires from the rr down on the left (i think) of the engine - not really looked on the storm, but on the cbx750 its under a vented cover just above the gbox cog.
easy to pull the coils out.
i found one winding was grounded, probably that what killed my rr.
got new set from tony at pitstop in leigh 01942 684684, top guy - if he can help you he will :D
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

My old xj600 had r+r probs. Battery almost boiled dry onceafter a 40 mile trip. managed to top it up with water and got a bump start and got home.Battery was hot as well like yours so a new r+r prob wouldnt be a bad shout.
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

To check the R+R is faulty when the bike is running put a multimeter on the battery terminals, if its outside 13.3 to 14.5 volts then its knackered, when I checked mine it was charging at 19.7 volts, then would drop to 8 volts.

I knew there was a fault to diagnose cause the batter always seemed to not have enough puff when I went out to start her up, and now I know that storms need a full battery to turn over easy, if the battery is down on juice its a cow to start.

The garage said I was sitting on a time bomb, when they were balancing the carbs he said you could hear the battery fizzing over the exhaust sound. Cause storm batteries are sealed it could have ruptured, I not a chemical engineer but piping hot acid over your bike don't sound good.

I fitted an after market, did not do the R1-R6 conversion, £68 quid I think.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

More likely reg/rec than coils, meter it to check which.

Quite possible that you've killed the new battery by putting too high a voltage through it.

TIP OF THE WEEK:
always meter the output before fitting a new battery.
If the reg/rec's gone you'll just cook the new one as well.

Don't feel bad, most of us have done it....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I have replaced the RR, but also needed to replace the stator as it was also FUBAR. Not sure if it was a co-incidence or not. A cheap MultiMeter is invaluable for checking these things. Mine was £4.99 from ebay and I've used of loads of times.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

sepia

Post by sepia »

thanks guys.

charged battery over night & bike been starting easy 1st time allday.

got a shot of a meter,hears some readings off battery.

@ lunch time bike not started it was 13.44 bike running it was @ 14.04

mid afternoon bike running it was @ 14.98(touched 15.01) & went to 14.68 when reving

late afternoon bike running 13.40 & 13.68 reving

tea time bike running 13.02 & 13 .68 reving

any conclusions from these readings.

thanks steve.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

whats it like when you run it with lights on?
think it was lighting coil gone on mine cos when i put lights on it flattened battery within minutes and would stop the bike, dash went dim etc, spluttering then stop, wouldnt start.
said before, i changed r/r, battery and alternator stator coils.
been perfect since.
thats on my other bike btw not the storm.
just bite the bullet and do the rr. david silvers got gen for 68 and pattern for 52 if you dont fancy fitting the yam.

i could charge it for a hr and it would start, all night and it would read 13v on the dash, but after a quick run it would be down to 8v.
with good charge it would fire up great.
sounds exactly like yours is doing.
wouldnt surprise me if the other probs also are down to the charging probs, the spluttering and dying etc.
sepia

Post by sepia »

i run with the lights on.i didnt have them on most of today,but had them on going home from work & was running fine on.when not enough power to start all lights & dash lights nice & bright.i have noticed a little bit of the heat protector on r&r has a mark on it @ the bottom left corner(was a wee bit peeled off,dont know if burnt?).its just a small bit,could this be a sign.ps ran it 140mile round trip @weekend with lights on & seemed ok.
benny hedges wrote:whats it like when you run it with lights on?
think it was lighting coil gone on mine cos when i put lights on it flattened battery within minutes and would stop the bike, dash went dim etc, spluttering then stop, wouldnt start.
said before, i changed r/r, battery and alternator stator coils.
been perfect since.
thats on my other bike btw not the storm.
just bite the bullet and do the rr. david silvers got gen for 68 and pattern for 52 if you dont fancy fitting the yam.

i could charge it for a hr and it would start, all night and it would read 13v on the dash, but after a quick run it would be down to 8v.
with good charge it would fire up great.
sounds exactly like yours is doing.
wouldnt surprise me if the other probs also are down to the charging probs, the spluttering and dying etc.
balls

Post by balls »

I think the R/R can cause all sorts of problems not just under or over charging my storm used to bang and spit and backfire when trying to start it ,since going over to the yam unit all that has stoped and starts :clap: first time
sepia

Post by sepia »

ive had a few bangs,spits & backfires since ive had her,so will buy r&r.just wating to have the money.should get this week.
balls wrote:I think the R/R can cause all sorts of problems not just under or over charging my storm used to bang and spit and backfire when trying to start it ,since going over to the yam unit all that has stoped and starts :clap: first time
sepia

Post by sepia »

hi guys.

went out to start bike this morning,was very cold & struggled a bit.just had choke out.didnt think she would start but got a backfire & she fired up.

since then bike been started & stopped 6 times & started one touch.

when got to work put meter on battery & was 13.51 (not started) then just now it was 13.58(not started).

can a knacked r&r cause a backfire & a meter reading different most of the time off the battery.

so thats battery ok after 2days but on monday it only lasted 1 day.

i have been driving with lights off most of the time,just to save battery incase wasnt charging.

just away to buy r&r even if not the problem.

thanks steve.