Help Ahhhhh!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Storm Trooper

Help Ahhhhh!

Post by Storm Trooper »

Well,

Now that I have managed to find a few hours I am in the process of changing my CCT's. Following the instructions posted on here and the WARNING about the large alternator cap being made of butter, welll yes I have ran the head on mine. :mad2 It has never been removed before as far as I am aware so is tight as feck. :evil:

Problem is how do I now get it out. Any body else on here ever had the same problem and what was the solution? :confused

Cheers
Keep Her Lit !
tony.mon

Re: Help Ahhhhh!

Post by tony.mon »

Tap it round with a centre punch.
Make sure you are going in the correct direction!

Usually the advice for a stuck bolt is to give it a smart tap to jar the corroded threads free, well, don't do it with this, or you stand a chance of either punching the middle of the cap into the engine, or (worse) breaking the alternator crankcase cover itself.

Wouldn't advise heat either, material will melt at quite low temps.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

I'm trying to remember what it looks like,as i've not got my 'storm now..............try as Tony says ,.........or get someone to weld 2 small pins onto a wee bit of flat bar ,and drill 2 holes in the cap,then unscrew it ?
Stevie
Storm Trooper

Post by Storm Trooper »

Cheers Guy's.

Now got it off. Cut a few grooves in it with the dremel and then tapped it round with a screwdriver and hammer. Bloody hell was it tight.

Will need to get a new one from Dave Silvers ....... unless someone on here has a spare one going?

Is there a torque setting for these cpas or is it a case of just sweeten it up.

Cheers

Nigel
Keep Her Lit !
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

As you found out, if they're done up tight they're a bugger to get undone again.
It's only got to be tight enough to stop it undoing itself; the O-ring seal means it doesn't need to be tight much past finger-tight.

I think of them as a consumable, TBH.
JIMMYJAMES

Post by JIMMYJAMES »

An impact wrench and a tight fitting allen key worked for mine, didn't want to take the risk of mullering it.
Red (the fastest colour) 98 Storm, APE CCT's ART Titanium high level cans, Airblade smoked double bubble screen and the shopping list is still growing!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Storm Trooper wrote: Is there a torque setting for these cpas or is it a case of just sweeten it up.

Cheers

Nigel
Nigel,
Yes there is a torque setting, it's only 15Nm and that's for the center cap, the one that's made of cheese :wink:
The outside cap (on the same cover) is only 10Nm.

Chris.
Storm Trooper

Post by Storm Trooper »

Dave Silvers to the rescue again .

Superb Service. :thumbup:
Keep Her Lit !
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I have come to think of this part as the Cheese Grommit.

Partly because it's one of the Achilles Heels of the design.

Mostly because it's made of metallic cheese.
vtrnut

Post by vtrnut »

Mostly because it's made of metallic cheese.[/quote]

:biggrin :biggrin .............couldnt agree more! Ive just ordered new ones from D Silvers as well after chewing the large one up. What were honda thinking about......surely not weight!! :thumbdown:

New ones will be well greased and hand tightened with small allen key. Dont want to go through this c**p again.