Running Rich? Carbony Exhaust...

General Bike chat
Swifty

Running Rich? Carbony Exhaust...

Post by Swifty »

Quick question...
Did a search on this and no dice...
Is it standard for the engine to run rich?! It's kind of obvious with the carbony exhaust and gassy exhaust smell. I actually like the smell of it, though. :biggrin Smells like SPEED!!!! :biggrin My father's 66 'Vette smells the same and that thing kicks arrrrse!!

Oh and...Will tuning the carbs leaner cause any problems? I've never worked with a Vtwin before, and curious as if the engine would suffer in performance and/or mechanical aspects.
· Shaun
· 98 'Hawk
Trip Trip Nanny!!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Swifty
On a previous post you said
Wowie! I have Yoshi RS3 cans roaring out the back
These pipes will need to run richer than normal std pipes as they have a higher flow rate. A quick test to see if the mixture is right is to pull out a spark plug and see what colour its burning.(Tan good :lol: ,Dark brown bad :cry: ) If the plugs check out ok don,t worry, if not, the best thing to do is get it on a rolling road and have em set up. They should be able to optimise you mixture and thus :lol: maximise your Bhp :lol:

Pete.l
Swifty

Post by Swifty »

Pete.L wrote:Hi Swifty
On a previous post you said
Wowie! I have Yoshi RS3 cans roaring out the back
These pipes will need to run richer than normal std pipes as they have a higher flow rate. A quick test to see if the mixture is right is to pull out a spark plug and see what colour its burning.(Tan good :lol: ,Dark brown bad :cry: ) If the plugs check out ok don,t worry, if not, the best thing to do is get it on a rolling road and have em set up. They should be able to optimise you mixture and thus :lol: maximise your Bhp :lol:

Pete.l
Yes I did say that :) !!! Thanks for the info. Flow rate makes sense to me!! I guess I'll leave everything the way it is. Plugs are tan/grey :) Goot Tah GO! Weather is supposed to be snowy and icy for the rest of the week...no ridey. :( :cry: :cry:
· Shaun
· 98 'Hawk
Trip Trip Nanny!!