Thinking

General Biker Banter
yorkshirepuddin

Thinking

Post by yorkshirepuddin »

of selling the VTR which is a real shame cos i bloody love the bike to bitz apart from the miles to the gallon that is hitting me hard in the pocket using her for work each day (just under 50 miles a day).

any recommendations / advise,

looking for around 2,000 ono.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Thinking

Post by sirch345 »

I personally don't think any one litre bike is going to be that good on mpg, especially if the bike is in the Sports category. IMHO you'll need to move down to a smaller engine to achieve that and move away from the Sports bit.

You could get yourself some free flowing cans (if you've not already) a carb jet kit etc and get it set up properly on a dyno to achieve more mpg.

Stormin Ben did this and found it would soon pay for itself with the amount of miles you're doing each day.

Good luck with whatever you decide,

Chris.

**EDIT** this is the post I was talking about, the figures speak for themselves:-

yorkshirepuddin

Sounds like a plan,

I have been looking at a possible change to a suzuki RF 900 which is in tip top condition, 120 - 130miles per tank is acheivable, whilst maintaining a very sporty feeling bike.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

yorkshirepuddin wrote:Sounds like a plan,

I have been looking at a possible change to a suzuki RF 900 which is in tip top condition, 120 - 130miles per tank is acheivable, whilst maintaining a very sporty feeling bike.
I don't know what you are getting from the Storm, but on "normal" riding (that is, not going like a loon) I can get 42mpg or thereabouts. On more mised riding, about 35-37 and pretty close to 125 to a tank (16l) so I can't in all honesty see that an old dog of an RF (they all are by now) will be that much more economical?
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

The most i managed with my 'storm was 46mpg ,that was just normal riding, not gunning it,but nowt overtook us either ! Mine was not a "normal 'storm as it never popped and banged :( .....was reasonably good on fuel though :)

On the 2 ride-outs where i worked out my MPG with my Bandit 1200 ,...on our Oban ride-out i got 56.8 mpg 8O :thumbup: ,......and a few weeks ago on the Moffat rideout i got 54 mpg ,that was sitting at 80mph there and back on the M74 ,and a fairly "brisk" riding pace from the St Marys Loch cafe to Moffat ,so i'm happy with that :!:
Stevie
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

HA, you think you have troubles. Managed to drain a tank on the zrx in 88 miles on the way to Hartside a few weeks ago :(
Rich.

escocia

Post by escocia »

bikerpiker wrote:The most i managed with my 'storm was 46mpg ,that was just normal riding, not gunning it,but nowt overtook us either ! Mine was not a "normal 'storm as it never popped and banged :( .....was reasonably good on fuel though :)

On the 2 ride-outs where i worked out my MPG with my Bandit 1200 ,...on our Oban ride-out i got 56.8 mpg 8O :thumbup: ,......and a few weeks ago on the Moffat rideout i got 54 mpg ,that was sitting at 80mph there and back on the M74 ,and a fairly "brisk" riding pace from the St Marys Loch cafe to Moffat ,so i'm happy with that :!:
On the same oban ride out I managed 67 mpg from my zzr600, you'll get a mint example of this bike for under two grand and it's quick enough for most sane everyday use.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

I always found the VTR thirsty-but I like to play a tune :biggrin Tank size is its main down fall not MPG really-got 24 on a hoon and 45+ on a steady. But regardless-they do chomp Mr Browns finest.

The RF would be a better commuter imo. I've rode one and although it looks like something out of Tron its a very good bike. Big, comfy, fast and capable. If you like the look of a 150mph 80's tracksuit your £££'s in :P

Depends if you prefer 2 or 4.

Less is more for me :biggrin
SP1's rock!
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

escocia wrote:
bikerpiker wrote:The most i managed with my 'storm was 46mpg ,that was just normal riding, not gunning it,but nowt overtook us either ! Mine was not a "normal 'storm as it never popped and banged :( .....was reasonably good on fuel though :)

On the same oban ride out I managed 67 mpg from my zzr600, you'll get a mint example of this bike for under two grand and it's quick enough for most sane everyday use.
Aye...ive got to agree with you Bryan ,good mpg and comfy as well......plus it can go "offroad" and double up as a grass cutter ,remember the Otter Ferry ride-out :wink: :lol:
Stevie
escocia

Post by escocia »

bikerpiker wrote:
escocia wrote:

Aye...ive got to agree with you Bryan ,good mpg and comfy as well......plus it can go "offroad" and double up as a grass cutter ,remember the Otter Ferry ride-out :wink: :lol:
Stevie
I forgot about that one! The geezer in the subaru waved as he went past me, I don't think he realised that I was "in a spot of bother" :|
IgorVigor

Post by IgorVigor »

TBH, I dont mind the 35mpg I get from my storm...

Stock apart from 33bhp restrictor kit (which makes it drink a bit more :S)

But of all the bikes I have had, I havent ever had very good fuel economy :P

TZR125 full power got 45mpg
1997 CB50 got 45mpg
2001 Vigor 650 got 30mpg
VTR gets 35mpg

But, if your really thinking of changing due to fuel economy...
Then there is only one bike you need...

Royal Enfield with Diesel conversion...
436cc single cylinder
http://www.realclassic.co.uk/diesel05112800.html

Returns 150mpg easily! :eek2

And if you want to, you can go and get cheap vegetable oil and run it on that...
And seeing that you dont have to pay tax on vegetable oil now as long as you dont use more than I think 2500 litres a year :D

I would love a diesel motorbike :oops:
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

I met someone with an Enfield deisel at my local tyre fitters and he claimed everything that's written there is true 8O He did'nt mind the fact it wouldn't do more than 50mph with a good tail winfd either-he only used for short A-B runs...
SP1's rock!
yorkshirepuddin

Well the bike never sold on ebay so i will be keeping her, pi**ed of at not getting the RF but not complaining cos the vtr does put a HUGE smile on my face.

So i maybe just need to relax a little more and take things a little easier to get some more mptank.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Just strap a jerry can to the back seat mate. Sorted :thumbup:
SP1's rock!