clutch ???

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
chuxsta

clutch ???

Post by chuxsta »

the other day had a strange issue ..

after storm died at traffic lights when they changed to green... ( its almost as if it knows the lights have changed )
got it started and gave it a handful of throttle with 50% clutch lever and all of a sudden front wheel shoots up and clutch lever was in the same place.

got back and put front wheel against wall and tried different clutch lever positions and throttle and no clutch slip just burnt rubber.

tested again on long straight road, 2nd gear mucho revs half clutch and it again lurched up...
Jonesey

Re: clutch ???

Post by Jonesey »

Chuxsta, what's the mileage of your vtr?
Could be worn plates, do you run fully synthetic oil?
Chris.
Unus Dies Gingiber Mos Hereditas Orbis terrarum.
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

Jonesey wrote:Chuxsta, what's the mileage of your vtr?
Could be worn plates, do you run fully synthetic oil?
Chris.
17k, and use semi synthetic.
doing an oil n filter change today have done just over 5k with current oil.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I think it must be those new levers :!: Your best bet is to do a swap with me for my standard ones :wink:

On a more serious note, I'd see if the new oil makes any difference first.

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Oh, god this sounds familiar.

I posted several times that mine did this, and tried a different clutch, uprated clutch springs, etc., no difference.

Bloody annoying when try to launch on the drag strip.

I finally found out what it was about three weeks ago, when I got a really rough clonking from the engine at around 4000 in 3rd, and which was getting rapidly worse.

When I stripped it, I found that the crankcase bearing on the clutch shaft had only got about six balls left in it, and the cage had almost gone. I posted the pics a couple of weeks back.

Presumably all of the bits had gone into the gearbox side and into the sump- I didn't bother checking, just slapped in a spare engine.

I really hope this hasn't happened to yours, but to be sure you'll need to pull the clutch off (special clutch holding tool needed to undo the clutch centre nut) and beware, cause the nut's staked onto the shaft, and it's best to replace the nut each time (although I've re-used them sometimes).

You can apparently fabricate a clutch locking tool by drilling through and bolting together a couple of friction plates and a couple of steel plates.

Clutch centre nut is pretty tight, i found I needed a good length of scaffold pipe on a solid socket wrench to shift it.

You have to take off the fairing, drain coolant, and take off the RH crankcase cover (inc water pump casing) to get to it. And obviously drain engine oil. Might as well change oil and coolant while you're there. Don't forget to clamp the clutch pushrod piston in place on the other side, or it'll spring forward once the clutch centre "top hat" is moved, and you'll have to re-bleed the clutch.
Not too bad, really, unless the bearing has gone, and then it's engine out and split the cases, I'm afraid.

The only good news is that mine had been doing this for about three years before it finally went, if I'd known it was the bearing I'd have sorted it earlier.

Apologies for bolloxing your day, but you might be better off checking than it going suddenly.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

:eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2

ooooo dear me ma'aaaaaam.
so even just to check it i have a mammoth task ahead?

on a simpler note i did have the slave cylinder off prior to noticing the clutch slip, but this isnt to say it wasnt there before.
i was cleaning the build up of lube n crap round the front sprocket and cover and had to re bleed the clutch after doing so.
could i have put it back together wrong or damaged something in the process.
cause i took off the sprocket cover with out reading up on what i was actually removing..
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

well have found a way round it,,,
its called coming off it while going round an island.
the engine cover is smashed to buggery so it should be no probs getting in side to look at the bearing case now..

the bikes shagged down the right side, my finger is messed up.. the mrs is in hospital having her knee xrayed..
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

:Oops:
Oh Dear Chux, I can think of easier ways to see inside the engine.
Hope the Xrays are just precautionary.
So did the clutch slip and bit at the wrong time? What happened?

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

forget the bike, just hope you guys are ok!
Ride Safe
Phil
coledog

Post by coledog »

Hope all is ok get well soon
Matt Black 04 model
Storm Trooper

Post by Storm Trooper »

GWS :thumbup:

Sorry to hear bout the bike. But at least both of you are still in one piece.
Keep Her Lit !
warby221

Post by warby221 »

+ 1 on the GWS

Just to be a bit of a vulture
Have got a spare engine going soon if your interested :shifty:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Jesus!
That's an.........alternative way of dealing with the problem.

Hope you're both ok, (but at least if Mrs has a damaged leg she can't kick you all round the house).

Dropped it on the right side I assume?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Was about to reply to say my clutch is the same, [will only slip at low revs, at higher revs [or torque?] it justs grabs], but then read about your crash!!!!!!!!
That is a real sh1t, hope you are both OK.
AMcQ
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

AMCQ46 wrote:Was about to reply to say my clutch is the same, [will only slip at low revs, at higher revs [or torque?] it justs grabs], but then read about your crash!!!!!!!!
That is a real sh1t, hope you are both OK.
would only do it when i was giving it a hand full of gas and have the clutch more than half way engaged.
get no slip what so ever when putting front wheel against wall and using low revs and letting clutch out and obviously at high revs getting wheel spin.

and thanks for your concerns..
all is ok body wise its just wallet and pride that are hurting most.