How to make Engine Casing Covers?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
gilson

How to make Engine Casing Covers?

Post by gilson »

Thoughts please!

I had Carbon Engine covers and they were good, but expensive, and I can't find the company now... something like Carbonardi in Germany?

Anyway, I've got some Fibreglass for my track fairing repair and was thinking of making a cover.

I was thinking of cutting the bottom off a suitable size bucket filling it with something, maybe putty or some sort of clay, pushing against the engine casing and making a mould. Then the rest seems easy, laying the fibre glass in the mould and waiting for it to harden. Trim it up and stick it on with Silicone. I'm not going for good looks, simply functional.

Does anyone have any ideas for the mould stuff?

Cheers!
No bike (yet).
Squiffythewombat

Re: How to make Engine Casing Covers?

Post by Squiffythewombat »

gilson wrote:Thoughts please!

I had Carbon Engine covers and they were good, but expensive, and I can't find the company now... something like Carbonardi in Germany?

Anyway, I've got some Fibreglass for my track fairing repair and was thinking of making a cover.

I was thinking of cutting the bottom off a suitable size bucket filling it with something, maybe putty or some sort of clay, pushing against the engine casing and making a mould. Then the rest seems easy, laying the fibre glass in the mould and waiting for it to harden. Trim it up and stick it on with Silicone. I'm not going for good looks, simply functional.

Does anyone have any ideas for the mould stuff?

Cheers!
Yay finally a bodywork thread haha!

Well firstly fiberglass is not as strong as carbonfibre so i think if it does touch deck then surely it will wear through pretty quickly?? You say functionality is the issue not looks so why not go for a stronger, more hard wearing plastic? Or use fiberglass for the outside of the mould, say a few sheets and then fill the rest with a heavy resin, much like a slider so that if it does go through u have decent protection? Also this way you should be able to wack the silicone to it with ease. If the material you use doesnt like the silicone so much, try polycementing a plate to the back of the moulding?

/\ just a few ideas - im by no means an expert, im sure some elite bodyworker will be along soon :)
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
rst steve

Post by rst steve »

Have a look here http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/ there is a few vids of the guy covering mirrors in carbon. Might be possible to use the same technique to do casings but use a release agent so it doesnt stick. Or like you have said make a mould from clay. If you do them in carbon think if you made a few sets you could make some money. :thumbup:
gilson

Post by gilson »

This isn't going to happen. The CarbonMods videos are good, but the cost is prohibitive TBH.

Can any remind me of the company name who used to produce these engine covers? I think they were called Carbonardi or something like that.

Anyone remember or know how to get some? Thanks
No bike (yet).
kevg

Post by kevg »

i've seen others but can't remember the names of any.
quick internet search found these american ones $121 for each cover,

http://indysuperbike.com/customer/produ ... t=0&page=2

can't remember if DHM do them
cheerz

kev
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

SP1's rock!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Gilson, I think this may be the company you're thinking of. I did have them saved in my ebay favourites, but since the ebay so called upgrade, they are no longer available, as no doubt you've already tried that.

There's no products to view from their site as I tried, or none advertised on the UK or German ebay sites, so don't know if they're still in business. May be an email to them from the info below would be an idea.

Chris.

***EDIT*** Just had another dig, the guy is on holiday until the 19th Aug 09 so you may be OK Gilson.
Info about this below first pic

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

+ 1 on that Mike :lol: :lol:

Chris.
gilson

Post by gilson »

Sweet as gents! Carbonadi, not ardi! Google didn't pick that up.

My Reprograpphics dept in work has a 3D printer like in that Jay Leno clip, but not the scanner.... It is amazing. The plastic isn't that hard though..I'll feed in some carbon powder! :D
No bike (yet).
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

:lol:
SP1's rock!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

When you do contact I'd be interested to know how much they work out.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.