W@zzA

Slipper Clutch?

Post by W@zzA »

Anyone Know of one for the Storm :?:

Now wouldn't that be nice 8)

Warren
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

If you get in the habit of only using 2 fingers on the clutch you can get the same effect very easily

And cheaply

Ben
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

I may tackle that one next year as I have about 4 complete clutch baskets to modify. won't be til d summer but I'll have a go.

Del.
W@zzA

slipper clutch

Post by W@zzA »

Has the SP1/2 got a slipper clutch Del :?: might be a good place to start :idea: That with the higher 1st & 2nd gear set 8) I'll see If I can Find That USA site that sells the gear sets :!:

Warren
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

It would be very nice, as I believe the TLR came stock with one.
SILVTR

Post by SILVTR »

I understand a slipper clutch to be a device that stops or reduces rear wheel lock-up on downshifts? I have my VTR one week and have had 2 lock-ups already (thankfully at very low speeds, and both without incident). I spoke with a BMW1100S-riding workmate who "enjoys" the same experience and he says it just improves your downshift technique (matching rpm with roadspeed), and you get used to it.
94 Corolla and a big goo for an R1150GS
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

all that said but when i did the CSBS at brands locking up at over 100 mph is not nice indeed, but fun. Would be better if it didn't do it cos then you could slide it in.

Del. (spoken like a real dreamer)
W@zzA

slipper clutch

Post by W@zzA »

Had a few moments as well including a sideways one on a wet roundabout overtaking a mate in his Audi S4 who was also sideways :!:
Also never try and bump start a Storm when you've still got the momentum to do so, I ended up facing the wrong way was like a kid doing a back brake skid on his BMX :!:

Warren

p.s. blew my mate with his audi into the weeds :twisted:
If it aint got the throb it don't do the job! PB.
Neophyte

blip

Post by Neophyte »

I usually blip the throttle when down changing. The idea is to increase the rpm more or less to where it would jump to in the lower gear thereby lowering the amount of sudden engine braking at the point of releasing the clutch. With a little practise you should find that it works quite well. On the other side you get some nice sound effects too, especially when going down two or more gears...lol...something like baaaa..bap..baaaa..bap..baaaa instead of just baaaa..baaaa..baaaa........LOL :D
simon t

Post by simon t »

I asked how to do non-lock-up down changes a few months ago - didn't get any advice at the time :cry: However a couple of months down the line I've learned to blip the throttle on down changes and now it's pretty damn smooth. I used to charge into bends and roundabouts and there wasn't time for blipping. Now I plan ahead a little and start my downchanges earlier and everything is a lot smoother. Like Neophyte I think it sounds great, if a little posey around town. 8)
RAINMAKER

down shifts

Post by RAINMAKER »

quite frankly Im amazed by the lack of skill that many bikers have these days.......now I'm not putting anyone down, but I think its to do with age.
I learnt on a 250 honda G5, 550 f2, XL 250s, KZ 750, BMW R100 S, VF 750, CB 900, CBR 1000F, CBR1100XX, now VTR, Started riding at age 17 now nearly 47. So I guess I had time to learn what you guys have to learn in a few years jumping onto big bikes like blades R1's VTR etc.
I'm still learning and probably slower on the twistys than most, still crap at knee down antics and look like an old fart so what as long as we all have fun and live long...........Paul.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Ha
W@zzA

Slipper clutch

Post by W@zzA »

If you get just right on the clutch and back it into a bend its pure joy but get it slightly wrong and it bites back :twisted: I like the idea of somthing there that practically eliminates rear wheel lock up, one less thing to think about makes the job easier :!: And anyway anything that reduces the possible chance (even the slightest) of binning my baby is worth it :wink:

Warren
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Here's a simple trick then W@zzer.
When going into a bend don,t turn the throttle off.Keep your hand in the same position and just change down.When you get it right the bike remains very stable with no lurching or lock up. Now turn the throttle off and break/corner as normal. It doesn't sound as cool but its faster than blipping and a lot smoother even if you get it wrong. :wink:

Pete.l
W@zzA

Slipper clutch

Post by W@zzA »

It's ok most of the time but I'm talking about the ones when youre smoking the front tyre and going down 2 or 3 cogs at a time :!:

Warren