Tyre Pressure`s

General Bike chat
chris56

Tyre Pressure`s

Post by chris56 »

Have Fitted Bridgstone BT 010 tyres all round ,Could some-let me know what tyre pressure is correct for these Tyres, or should i just stick 2 the hand book, Although these seem a bit hard Thanks :?
andyh

tyre pressures

Post by andyh »

Hi Chris,
I run a 010 on the front and a 020 on the back, both on the hand book settings and it seems to handle great. Give it a go,

Cheers Andyh
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

012s front and rear standard pressures, work fine for me.
I read somthing in MCN a few weks ago and they said stick to manufacturers pressures unless you are racing or a serious track day merchant
chris56

Tyre Pressure`s

Post by chris56 »

Thanks ,needed 2 convince myself that they were set right , now its FASTER WE Go !!!! By the way you 2 Reckon the 020 is better on the Rear ?
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I've got 010 front 020 rear but I only put that on coz I had a lot of distance trips planned this year (Scotland, Assen etc)
I run them a couple of PSI lower coz I reckon it warms up faster but its probably just psychological ;-)

I've found that I only notice the lack of grip from the 020 when braking. Under load eg powering out from corners its absolutely fine but hard on the brakes it fishtails around which the 010 very rarely did.
Still, it looks good from behind (ooh-err!) and makes me feel like a GP god, backing it in (even if it's only 2" out of line :wink: )

Ben
chris56

Tyre Pressure`s

Post by chris56 »

Thanks Ben.Look`s like you`ve just saved me a few Quid & a Slide knowing Me !
Fireman on a Storm

chris56

012s is the replacement for the 010s

I had an 010 front ans 020 rear on my bandit and they worked well
The tyre shop I use would not fit an 020 rear because he had seen the way I had worn the Dunlop 204 and said there would only be 500 miles max differnce between the 012 and 020.

He said when I wear these tyres out if the wear on the rear doesn't look like I have used the 012 properly he would recomend the 020 but not to start with.

The tyre fitter is well know around east London and essex for his knowlage.
Moto care London on the A12 near the M25
stevieVTR

Post by stevieVTR »

I don`t think that you can go wrong with an 010/020 combination. I ran the same combo on my SV650S and ZX6R and had BT56/57s on my ZZR6. Excellent grip and mileage and IMHO much superior to the Dunlop D207s at least on the ZX6R. As soon as the 204s wear out I`ll revert to Bridgestones. I`ve always run them at the bike manufacturers recommended pressures and I`ve never had a problem.
.... no more bike, divorce sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fireman on a Storm

The way the tyre man talked a 010 020 mix goes well on a 600 all rounder but you have to be a bit more carefull on a 1000cc super bike
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

Ehh... I had a BT012F/BT020R combo on my VFR - they were brilliant, heaps better feel and grip than the Azaro IIs that were on it before that. Apparently, the BT012 has similar tread pattern to the BT020, but grip (tyre compound) similar to the BT010. The BT012 is being replaced by the BT014. Didn't stop me crashing the thing, but that's another story. :(
Tyre pressures? I always ran the recommended pressures (same as the FireStorm) on the VFR, but found that a bit lower worked better on the FireStorm, which has a Pirelli Evo on the front, and a Dragon GTS on the rear, which would be the Pirelli equivalent of the Bridgestone BT012F/BT020R combo. However, the previous owner ran much lower pressures and htat's probably why the fookin tyres were squared off when I bought the bike. Currently, they're almost round in profile again, and I'm running about 34 PSI front and 35 rear (if I recall correctly).
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
chris56

tyre Pressure`s

Post by chris56 »

Thanks 2 all for replies as i said in the first p[osting i thought they were a bit hard <after reading "ex-viffer" tyre Pressure i see why !

This Hand book say`s 36 psi front & 42 psi Rear What do U reckon Gent`s ?
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

Try 36F/42R, see how it goes, then try dropping the rear by a few PSI and see how you like the feel of it. Remember - it's what's right for *you*, as you're the one riding it.
Generally, you don't want to go down more than a couple of PSI in the front, as it will tend to feel a bit vague.
The recommended pressures will give you the best wear, as the tyres are subject to the least heating (and fewer heat cycles), and will perform and wear the way the manufacturers intended. However you may find that they are slow to warm up when the weather's cool, so they therefore develop grip a bit more slowly.
Play around with it, riding the same corners with different pressures to see what you like the feel of best. Remember to adjust only one tyre at a time, so you can tell which one's having the effects (if any).
Hope this helps. :)
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.