Standard baffles-just drilled or out altogether?

General Bike chat
Jonesey

Standard baffles-just drilled or out altogether?

Post by Jonesey »

Hi all, have put standard pipes back on my bike, and have read all the posts about drilling 4 or 8 holes etc, and then the ones about 'bafflectomy'
has anyone got any opinions on this?
Would especially like input from those who have removed the end baffle as opposed to the drilling, but all opinions welcomed.
Cheers, Chris.
Unus Dies Gingiber Mos Hereditas Orbis terrarum.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Ive done it , first i drilled out eight 9mm holes...ran for a while then wanted more ,so drilled them out to about 12mm....,cans sounded really good ,much better than standard ,really nice on the over-run as well 8)

Decided i wanted them even louder ,so cut from hole to hole with a small sharp chissel ,a couple of clouts and a wiggle ,and out come the baffles ,then cleaned up with a dremmel ,but could still tidy it up a bit :!: A hole saw might do it as well :!:
Now a lot louder ,but somehow not as nice sound on the over-run :?

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB2/viewtopic ... es&start=0

Stevie
custard

Post by custard »

Bafflectomys rock my world.

Sounds like the end of the world when I'm driving through the narrow village street near my house.

If I'm ever feeling down, I go for a blast and the noise makes it all good again! Did take me hours to break the internal welds of the baffles though!
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

custard wrote:Bafflectomys rock my world.

Sounds like the end of the world when I'm driving through the narrow village street near my house.

If I'm ever feeling down, I go for a blast and the noise makes it all good again! Did take me hours to break the internal welds of the baffles though!
I found breaking the internal tack-welds which hold the end baffles easy after i had chisseled from hole to hole, a couple of clouts and a few wiggles and out they came :)
The hardest most time consuming bit for me was tidying up the cut with a Dremmel , the wee grinding stones i used were shite , too soft :!:
Last edited by bikerpiker on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevie
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Just drilling them sounds shite, I tried it for about 5 minutes then rode straight back home and finished the job.

Drill the holes, join them up as much as you can then completely seperate the baffle tube from the outer part by chiseling the holes into a complete circle. Then tw@ the baffle until it comes free inside the pipe. Then tidy up the mess caused by drilling earlier. Then fire up your bike, crack a beer open and enjoy. :)
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
Jonesey

Re: Standard baffles-just drilled or out altogether?

Post by Jonesey »

Hi all, so far, i've drilled 8x10mm holes and it sounds quite nice.
What i want to know is how much louder is the bike with the baffle completely removed? Twice as loud? three times as loud?
All input welcomed.
Cheers, chris.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Really hard to say,mate..drillin the holes was a huge improvement over standard,but i thought there was always a kinda pft,pft,pft,pft noise :?
With the end baffle removed its poss twice as loud ,but it's definately not too loud :)
Stevie
Jonesey

Post by Jonesey »

Have since removed end baffles completely and love the sound!! Quite a nice bass tone without the harshness of the microns.
Chris. :D
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jonesey wrote:Have since removed end baffles completely and love the sound!! Quite a nice bass tone without the harshness of the microns.
Chris. :D
I hadn't realised they sounded "a nice bass tone" with that mod :!: 8)

Chris.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

For anyone who wants to see what the cans look like with this mod done, here's a wee piccy or two :D

In the 2nd pic you can see the hole where the removed baffle has been :!: You can also see what looks like another two baffles,....remember ,all this is only visible cos of the camera flash ,or if you were looking in at the correct angle in bright sunlight :!:

Back tyre soaking, infact bike was soaking with condensation in my garage :(

Stevie
BBUK01

Post by BBUK01 »

I thought I would try something like this instead,
first drill a pilot hole of 5mm on the left then the right of the baffle then under the baffle, as in 1 pilot hole at 9 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 3 o'clock with the main baffle still in the middle of these holes, do the same to the other exhaust. Now drill all these holes out with a 13mm drill bit, please use HSS bits, good sharp ones!!

Heypresto, :arrow: :eek2 ,nice sounding exhaust, not too loud but deffinately louder and still sounds gorgeous on the overrun, not tinny but kin fab.

I did it to mine and it sounds great.... :biggrin

WITH SKILL COMES SPEED
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Give it a week or two and the drill will be out again :wink:

I agree a huge improvement over standard, but think how good it would be with 8 holes each can :wink:

Actually i was so impressed with the baffle modification on the Firestorm , that i searched and found info regarding doing it to my Bandit.......job done :D ,sounds real good :!: ..............Not as good as a v-twin though :(
Stevie
BBUK01

Post by BBUK01 »

bikerpiker wrote:Give it a week or two and the drill will be out again :wink:

I agree a huge improvement over standard, but think how good it would be with 8 holes each can :wink:

Actually i was so impressed with the baffle modification on the Firestorm , that i searched and found info regarding doing it to my Bandit.......job done :D ,sounds real good :!: ..............Not as good as a v-twin though :(
Nah,... I think 3 holes at 13mm plus the baffle is enough, anymore and it's too loud and draws the wrong kind of attention, this way it's just nice, not muffled and not deafing but headturning :biggrin .

WITH SKILL COMES SPEED
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

BBUK01 wrote:
bikerpiker wrote:Give it a week or two and the drill will be out again :wink:

Nah,... I think 3 holes at 13mm plus the baffle is enough, anymore and it's too loud and draws the wrong kind of attention, this way it's just nice, not muffled and not deafing but headturning :biggrin .

So to do this mod you just drill the 3 holes in the end plate of the exhaust and not into the baffle ?
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

straight froooo vipers are the way to go, espesh with a friendly mot man, bbboooowwaaaa pop pop pop bbbboooowwaaaa :wtf:
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.