Sky broadband?????????????

General Biker Banter
sirch345
Site Admin

Sky broadband?????????????

Post by sirch345 »

Anyone know if Sky broadband is any good :?:

I'm thinking about changing to Sky in the new year, but was talking to a neighbour who already has it and he said sometimes it's not always possible to access his email account :!:

Cheers,

Chris.
chuxsta

Re: Sky broadband?????????????

Post by chuxsta »

sirch345 wrote:Anyone know if Sky broadband is any good :?:

I'm thinking about changing to Sky in the new year, but was talking to a neighbour who already has it and he said sometimes it's not always possible to access his email account :!:

Cheers,

Chris.
my mate at work has just started using it and he seems happy with it, he is a bit of a tech nerd like myself so i know he wouldnt go with some crappy provider..

as for accessing the email thats probably the email account that sky provide for been with them...
this will only be an issue if you dont already have a primary email account with say hotmail or other free email providers.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Sky broadband?????????????

Post by sirch345 »

chuxsta wrote: my mate at work has just started using it and he seems happy with it, he is a bit of a tech nerd like myself so i know he wouldnt go with some crappy provider..

as for accessing the email thats probably the email account that sky provide for been with them...
this will only be an issue if you dont already have a primary email account with say hotmail or other free email providers.
Thanks for the reassurance Chuxsta :!:

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid, ending up stuck in a contract with a crappy provider :!:

That's a good point about the email account, like you say it's probably Sky's own. It will be needed for initial set-up etc but apart from that and any info from them occasionally, I can stick with my primary email account for everything else :!:

Cheers,

Chris.
alan

Post by alan »

Chris i have sky and was a nightmare to begin with had 4 accounts at one point taking over £150 a month its all sorted now im on the base package of broadband and is quite fast really, i play online with the 360 and its no probs sometimes the sky home page for email does have the odd problem but its 98% ok when they have a tech prob its sorted very quickly. the only thing i find a problem is sending multiple photos via email we can only send 2 at a time otherwise it just locks up

are you signing up for viewing???? i got tv, broadband, and sky talk for £16 a month and the sky talk CALLS is free for 12 months only mobiles and 08 numbers are charged.

then add a £1.00 for every other tv viewing package you want.
man from africa

Post by man from africa »

been with sky for six years.three months ago updated both boxes to sky plus and changed phone provider to them for a one off payment of 50.00 pounds which i think goes to bt.they through in unlimited broadband for free.far quicker than aol who i use to be with.all calls are free except to mobiles.so far no problems and very happy.
rhodesians never die,pasi ne mugabe
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

thing is with a company as big as sky, for every happy customer there is a handful of people who cant say one good word about them....

when you sign up for anything like this its russian roulette, if it works its great its when you have to phone them for help..

Hankie

Post by Hankie »

I've been thinkin of changing to Sky as it's much cheaper than the NTL package I have now. It's supposedly 'unlimited' download unlike NTL which runs at full speed for a short time then drops back to 512KB. Pisses me off that.

ChrisH
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

alan wrote: are you signing up for viewing???? i got tv, broadband, and sky talk for £16 a month and the sky talk CALLS is free for 12 months only mobiles and 08 numbers are charged.

then add a £1.00 for every other tv viewing package you want.
Yes that's the idea Alan. At the moment I'm with BT for broadband only which is £19.95 a mth. So I'm thinking if I go with Sky I can have the Sky+ (although the box with that needed for recording programs will be £99 one off payment) with the broadband inc a mixture of the £1 channels on top for the same as I pay now more or less.

man from africa wrote:been with sky for six years.three months ago updated both boxes to sky plus and changed phone provider to them for a one off payment of 50.00 pounds which i think goes to bt.they through in unlimited broadband for free.far quicker than aol who i use to be with.all calls are free except to mobiles.so far no problems and very happy.
That's certainly a good amount of time to tell what a provider is like, many thanks for the info :!:

when you sign up for anything like this its russian roulette, if it works its great its when you have to phone them for help..
That's too true Chuxta :!:

I like the pic :lol:

Hankie wrote:I've been thinkin of changing to Sky as it's much cheaper than the NTL package I have now. It's supposedly 'unlimited' download unlike NTL which runs at full speed for a short time then drops back to 512KB. Pisses me off that.

ChrisH
I think that would annoy me too :!:

Cheers all,

Chris.
alan

Post by alan »

iirc Chris sky was giving the sky+ box free if you signed up to the offer it was just the hd box you had to pay for my sky+ box was free with there offer, they may have changed the offer now though
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks Alan for the tip. Just finished doing a google search and it appears that offer was available back in July this year.

Will have to look out for their next special offers as I'm not in any hurry :D

Cheers,

Chris.
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

I'm with Sky, never had a problem with them. Speed is good and pretty consistent, it costs me a fiver on top of our sky package for 8mb.

Sky's email is driven by GoogleMail btw so the only times I have a problem connecting to my email is when Google has a problem - rare.
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Personally I wouldn't touch them, nor BT, AOL, Virgin, Talk Talk etc. When it goes wrong you will get a call centre operative with no clue and less concern.

I've used Zen (2008 ISP of the year according to Which) for 4/5 years now and whilst they aren't cheap, there have never been times when the connection has been down and for other things (like hosting) you speak to a computer literate person who is acyually interested - and you don't have to pay a £1 a minute for support!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

Stratman wrote:Personally I wouldn't touch them, nor BT, AOL, Virgin, Talk Talk etc. !
i was with BT till i got so pissed off with them....
but fact remains you are either with BT or with Virgin.. i think there are a few other ones cable side that are popping up..

but BT own all the phone lines in the ground and now virgin own all the optics in the ground( well nearly all of them)... so no matter who is the front man you are always with the above in some form or another..
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

Bin a sky a couple of years, was bad at first nut now I couldn't fault them, good speed and reliable connection, was on aol they took over computor and was always getting dropped connections. For the money can't fault them.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks guy's for all your input :D

Timbo, which is the best way to find/work out the contention ratio for my area :?:

From what I can tell so far it appears that the domestic broadband I have at the moment has a contention ratio of 50:1 and thats from BT.

Cheers,

Chris.