03 carb backfiring

General Bike chat
DD

03 carb backfiring

Post by DD »

Do any of you lot out there find your bikes backfiring through the carbs?

My bike is a 03 with 2000km's on it so it may still be setteling in. The backfire (in the carb) happens at low revs hard enough to nock the tank into my nees.
Could this be because I'm using 91 octain fuel, or perhaps it's running a bit lean eather way it can't be good for it. Thanks for the help
cheers Darryl
thehazmatguy

Post by thehazmatguy »

I bought my VTR with 4,500 miles on it, and I have over 40,000 now. It has occasionaly backfired through the carbs ever since I got it. It doesn't seem to hurt anything, and I have heard of other VTR's doing the same. The only problem it causes me (I think) is that it knocks my the "little rubber things" from my K&N filter to fall into the carb openings.
You know the Austin Powers movies? I have always wanted to date someone like Allota Fagina... but I always seem to date her sister Sandy.
--------------------------------------
CHUGNUT

Post by CHUGNUT »

my bike's a 53 with 250 miles on it (all done by me)
mine was backfiring through the carbs until i changed the fuel, if you aren't using the slightly more expensive stuff try it, it worked a treat for me. :D
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

Mine does this only very occasionally. Here in NZ, the fuels available are 91, 95 and 98. The 95 is crap, as it has the octane rating artificially boosted by adding more toluene and xylene (basically paintbrush cleaner!)to the brew, which soots up the plugs. So, I have a choice of 91 (which also has crap in it, but not as much) or imported 98, which is expensive but cleaner. So I alternate between the two, so I end up with mixed tankfuls. Dunno if it helps, but I'm using it as I think it 'pinks' a bit on the 91.

I've found that the bike only backfires if I blip the throttle a small amount (like for downchanges). If I give it a big blip (to change into first, for example), it's fine. I suspect part of it with my 'Storm is that it's running a wee bit lean at lower revs because I've fitted a Unifilter and haven't yet adjusted the carbs, and also haven't yet checked the Throttle Position Sensor (see postings in Workshop).
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
DD

Post by DD »

Ian, My bike coughs through the carbs just like you say. However way down here we don't get the 98 and as you say 96 is crap so its 91 for me but I might try 96 and see how it goes.
BTW next month is a track day and i'll be puting 100 octain with lead in it then well see how it goes :D
cheers Darryl