A good plan for brakes?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Richtea

A good plan for brakes?

Post by Richtea »

Trying to get better braking on my VTR and looking for some advice. I have fitted HBC pads, braided lines and long Pazzo levers. This has helped but still not great. My plan for the next stage is to fit SP1 calipers and if I'm still not happy get a Brembo master cylinder.

Has anyone out there done this?
clayderman

Post by clayderman »

I think it's an SP1/2 master cylinder and some Gixxer thou K3 calipers that people normally use, someone maybe along to correct me slightly in a minute though. Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Also I believe the SP brake discs were bigger so the SP calipers may not fit your discs properly.
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Richtea

Post by Richtea »

Thanks for that
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

My twopence

1. Give the calipers a damn good clean
I only ever use 2 fingers (max) on the brake lever and have enough bite to lift the rear
Remove the calipers and pads one side at a time
Carefully pump the brake lever -probably one piston will emerge
Clean it up, push it back in and repeat
Then block that piston and repeat -one more piston will come out
repeat until you've done all 4 pistons

THIS MAKES A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE

2. Fit quality pads
I highly recommend Bendix supersport or Carbone Lorraine A3's
NB NOT the SBK-3's
EBC's feel brilliant for the first few hundred miles but go off quickly and overheat with hard use

3. Blead the brakes thoroughly

Only once you've done all three THEN is the time to start making serious mods

NB the SP1/2 master cylinder will give more force but reduce feel
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
clack

Post by clack »

Personally I find the fork action more of a limiting factor than the breaks themselves.
gilson

Post by gilson »

What's the difference between Dot 4 and Dot 5? It's for my track bike and I presume that Dot 5 is better? But why?
clayderman

Post by clayderman »

gilson wrote:What's the difference between Dot 4 and Dot 5? It's for my track bike and I presume that Dot 5 is better? But why?
The higher the Dot rating the higher the boiling point of the fluid basically speaking, whether it's more refined or has different additives I don't know :?

It's hard to look cool carrying toilet roll.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I have EBC discs and pads on mine, with braided hoses. The forks have been "done"

I find the brakes to be really good now - I can only agree re the checking of each piston and thorough brake bleeding. Just try the old cable tie round the lever overnight - you might be amazed at the difference!

Also, altering the span adjuster seems to make quite a difference to how the lever feels.

My front brakes are much better than the R1 setup on my TDM!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

clack

Post by clack »

DOT 5 has a higher boiling point that DOT 4 but is super hydrophilic so will suck the moisture out of anything in short order. Suitable for race bike use as it gets changed so frequently............................