Knee Down (again)

General Bike chat
Zakalwe

Knee Down (again)

Post by Zakalwe »

Was just about managing to KD on my old SP1....but yet to do it on the 'blade. Went out for a run this evening and was getting pee'd off with not being able to KD. Re-aranged the sliders on my knee as they were a little too far down my shin, and hey presto....proper good SKKKKIIIIRRRRSHHHHH.

I must have been millimetres away before as I was not doing anything differently (was going a little slower than normal in fact).

Now have the Bladeday to do on Friday and will be in the queue to get on the track at Donny (£10 entrance and £10 to go on the track). Cross your fingers for me that I don't sling it down the track 8O 8O 8O
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

If my knees hit the deck,it means i've fell off :cry:
I don't think im nimble enough to hang off the bike to get my knee down,,i might poss have the lean angle,but i like to sit in middle of the seat :!:

It's hellish gettin auld :!: :lol: :lol:
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

bikerpiker wrote:If my knees hit the deck,it means i've fell off :cry:
I don't think im nimble enough to hang off the bike to get my knee down,,i might poss have the lean angle,but i like to sit in middle of the seat :!:

It's hellish gettin auld :!: :lol: :lol:

I know the feeling :( ...I do not want to see pictures of meself attempting KD as I assume that pictures of a short fat bloke in leathers contorting himself desperatly trying to KD can only look undignified....

Still, I finally managed to do it on the Blade :D :D :D
sparrowlegs

Post by sparrowlegs »

I am nowhere near managing it on the Storm..i was about an inch off touch down on the TRX and ZZR....but about a foot off on the VTR :(
warby221

Post by warby221 »

sparrowlegs wrote:I am nowhere near managing it on the Storm..i was about an inch off touch down on the TRX and ZZR....but about a foot off on the VTR :(

What with the length of them legs? 8O 8O :D :D
sparrowlegs

Post by sparrowlegs »

Its me butt..it gets stuck on the seat lol..anyway..have u seen my legs?..i've lost em! lol
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

sparrowlegs wrote:I am nowhere near managing it on the Storm..i was about an inch off touch down on the TRX and ZZR....but about a foot off on the VTR :(
Blimey...If I can manage it with my stumpy legs, then you should have no problem...given that you are over 6'. Get it leaned reet over.......

S'funny....I have decked out the hero blobs on the left, but no KD.....got virgin hero blobs on the right and KD (though to be fair, decking the hero blobs on the left was a 115MPH affair......*)

*Private road ossifer....
Big_Ham

Post by Big_Ham »

Aaa, the Firestorm's easy, try something like a mille or my H/cup bike with the rear jacked up. :lol:

It's all about getting the butt off AND getting your upper body off to match(which most people don't do). :wink:
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Big_Ham wrote:Aaa, the Firestorm's easy, try something like a mille
I bloody well would if the damn thing would put itself back together again!!
:evil:
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
warby221

Post by warby221 »

Stormin Ben wrote:[I bloody well would if the damn thing would put itself back together again!!
:evil:
Bloody Hell ben you having probs with that aprilia still??? :cry: :cry:
Do you think you have inherited some ones incompetents with that one then m8??
:x
MrMastodon

Post by MrMastodon »

Any tips for knee down then? Peg goes down, difficult to keep feet out the way enough and just not happening. Feels odd - I like to sit forward on the seat - do you slide back or wot? Once pegs scrapes, is there much lean left (I know it depends on lots of things, but do people keep on tipping in or just keep it there?)
warby221

Post by warby221 »

The idea of getting you knee down is to hang of the bike by doing this you can keep the bike more upright this lets the tyres have a bigger contact area giving more grip counteracting the centrifugal force on a tight corner hence more speed round the corner
As for the position on the bike think of it as shoulder charging the corner if you were doing a left hander
shoulder down to the left and move your butt so the left cheek is off the seat and having your toes on the pegs not your instep
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

MrMastodon wrote:Any tips for knee down then? Peg goes down, difficult to keep feet out the way enough and just not happening. Feels odd - I like to sit forward on the seat - do you slide back or wot? Once pegs scrapes, is there much lean left (I know it depends on lots of things, but do people keep on tipping in or just keep it there?)
there are some really good video help thingys on youtube on this..
there is an MCN one on a local roundabout and some yanky race school ones as well..
i watched a few others from random people as well they all say the same thing...

and if your like me start reading a help page of text and read 3 lines and teh A.D.D. kicks in and i give up...
MrMastodon

Post by MrMastodon »

Normally ride in jeans so try to keep bits tucked right in! Maybe I should put all the gear on more often and get used to it, but old habits and all that!

The shoulder things makes sense - I know what you mean. I'll bear it in mind next time!

I tuck my feet right up on the peg on me toes, but boot always seems to get caught on the road - this always plays on my mind when the angle of dangle gets interesting.

I don't want to go any faster as such but just think it would be fun and cool!

Oh - I'm with you on the A.D.D thing Chuxta!!
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Biggest mistake people make is sticking their elbow right off the seat but the comfort zone requirement kicks in so they keep their head/ body over the tank where it feels safe
Consequently their weight isnt off the inside of the bike and they end up carrying more lean angle
Additionally their knee goes forward along the bike instead of out making it even harder

My tip would be to make sure your hips are at 90 degrees to the bike and your upper body is parallel with it
You can practice this with the bike on the side stand

Also, although everyone mentions having your toes on the footpeg, more specifically move it to the inside of the peg and try turning the heels inwards. This promotes opening up the hips
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!