do you trust you dealers ?

General Biker Banter
lmao_37

do you trust you dealers ?

Post by lmao_37 »

i put my pride n joy in to the local honda dealers to have the cct's changed. i phoned them back and hour and a half later (which is the time they said it would take to do the job) and i got asked ''did you bike have a rattle on the front cylinder'' which i said ''NO'' it was running very well when i deliver'd it to your door. so i went to the dealers while i was near and i popped in to the workshop and my bike was very naked ie no fairings no fuel tank no left side radiator or rocker cover he said he was gona work on my bike to find the problem while i was there he looked at the timing mark on the crankshaft and cams and he said it was a tooth out. so this morning i got a phone call from the dealership and he said ''it has got 2 bent exaust valves'' so i went up to pick up my loanerbike they have let me borrow (its a devel i mean deuville) and i had a look at my poor vtr and it looks like its gona need a days work to put it all back together but they have admitted its there fault and i dont have to pay for anything except the 1 1/2 hours to change the cct's o and £8 for a new head gasket so all in all its not to bad its also gona have an oil change and a new cylinderhead they had in a workshop cupboard so all in all ins not to bad :D

but i wouldnt have expected this from a honda main dealers :(
wheres the road kill............?
iam hungry!!!!!
warby221

Post by warby221 »

That’s one of the reasons I do all my own work

At least they’ve admitted to it and are sorting it out

Strange thing with what you have said is that there using a head that they has around the workshop

I think the valves are about a tenner or so each so why aren’t they replacing your valves and using your head think you need to have a look at the engine when the heads off and make sure there’s no other damage to the pistons and so on just in case the valves went in at speed
stevevtr1

Post by stevevtr1 »

Think i'll be doing my own 16K service,heard too many stories like this 8O
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Its too easy to get the timing a tooth out but why the damage? Sounds like they ****ed up big style to me 8O . It better be perfect when you get it back mate or I would get some legal advice....
Good luck mate hope all is well
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Recently i posted a question askin how much £ approx to get both cct's changed, as i was kinda thinkin of putting mine in to get done.....think i maybe try doin them myself now :?
Nae luck mate,hopefully it'll be sorted soon and you'll be back on the road.
lee67

Post by lee67 »

thats why i started doing all my own servicing many years ago..too many cowboy dealers and gimp mehcanics...anything im not sure about, i ask bob :wink:
fritz

Post by fritz »

bikerpiker wrote:Recently i posted a question askin how much £ approx to get both cct's changed, as i was kinda thinkin of putting mine in to get done.....think i maybe try doin them myself now :?
Nae luck mate,hopefully it'll be sorted soon and you'll be back on the road.
if your on a tight budget, just do the front one for now.. thats where the problem is!!
fritz

Re: do you trust you dealers ?

Post by fritz »

lmao_37 wrote:i put my pride n joy in to the local honda dealers to have the cct's changed. i phoned them back and hour and a half later (which is the time they said it would take to do the job) and i got asked ''did you bike have a rattle on the front cylinder'' which i said ''NO'' it was running very well when i deliver'd it to your door. so i went to the dealers while i was near and i popped in to the workshop and my bike was very naked ie no fairings no fuel tank no left side radiator or rocker cover he said he was gona work on my bike to find the problem while i was there he looked at the timing mark on the crankshaft and cams and he said it was a tooth out. so this morning i got a phone call from the dealership and he said ''it has got 2 bent exaust valves'' so i went up to pick up my loanerbike they have let me borrow (its a devel i mean deuville) and i had a look at my poor vtr and it looks like its gona need a days work to put it all back together but they have admitted its there fault and i dont have to pay for anything except the 1 1/2 hours to change the cct's o and £8 for a new head gasket so all in all its not to bad its also gona have an oil change and a new cylinderhead they had in a workshop cupboard so all in all ins not to bad :D

but i wouldnt have expected this from a honda main dealers :(
a good ending to the tale. but if your bike was running sweet when it went in the someone has f**ked up somewhere in that workshop!!!

ive blown two storms to sh1t both front cct failed!! and it happens real feckin quick and you would know about it if it went mate !!
lmao_37

Post by lmao_37 »

well someone did **** up big style well the answer to my question i put to them was how did it happen and it sounds like the blokey didnt check the cam timing before he fired up the engine up as soon as it fired it chewd the valves i have already checked the piston when i went in today to get my loaner the reason they had a spare front cyclinder head was they had a vtr in the blew the rear cyclinder to bits it had broken rear cams and busted piston and the owner brought a new engine and the front head was taken off with no damage to it rear of the engine was scrap
iam hungry!!!!!
lee67

Post by lee67 »

mike for your info, i do ..do all my own servicing..bob has kindly done my cct's( locked off) and over the years helped with a seized caliper and water pump leak..the rest i do..i made apoint of going to college to learn motorcycle maintenance/servicing..and gained my city&guilds..but alas they didnt cover fecking cct's or water pump seals..hence asking a real m8/expert ie: bob...and im extremely gratefull to him :wink:
dealer mehcanics are gimps and dont give too hoots about customers bikes..simple as
lmao_37

Post by lmao_37 »

well i thought i would update you well i got my bike back and its going back in because the valve clearance's are out for one and when the engine is hot the bucket shims are banging like b*******s, the second the stainless steel fairing bolts had been replaced with mid steel ones which had been painted black, they refused to replace them because they had to use a pair of mole grips to remove them but i dont see how when they are mushroom headed bolts in a recess i couldnt get them to grip on the head of the bolt when i tried it, but now they are being replaced as a courtesy
Last edited by lmao_37 on Tue May 13, 2008 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iam hungry!!!!!
Hankie

Post by Hankie »

I wouldn't be going back there. You can't remove those fairing bolts with grips like you say - and there would be no need to use anything other than the allen wrench as you can't put a lot of torque on them without cracking the fairing. They must have lost your bolts and shoved in what came to hand.

Chris
warby221

Post by warby221 »

Think I’d be going some were else m8 even if I had to stand the cost of some one else doing the sorting
Could always try hitting them with the bill afterwards and just say you fuc** it up twice so I took it to some one that knows there job here’s the bill
tattie

Post by tattie »

I would try a polite letter to Mr Honda UK, as if they are a Honda dealer their butt will be nipping if Mr Honda gets in touch with them. :oops: :oops:

Cheers

A.M.

ps, I use a local lad Honda trained, but absoloutely spot on, you can tell from peoples attitude, he is a joy to watch just like any professional tradesman,
Common sense ain't all that common!
lmao_37

Post by lmao_37 »

well i have dropped off my pride n joy with them now wait n see what excuses they come up with to whats wrong it,but on the plus side i have 4 new fairing bolts but no vtr to put em on yet, the best bit is iam not a dullville i have been loaned a cbf600 well its a little higher up the food chain but still slugish and like riding an armchair the seat is soo sqishy and soft but no real pulling power :?
iam hungry!!!!!