How loud is a Storm?

General Bike chat
Austrian

How loud is a Storm?

Post by Austrian »

That is my question at the moment ... how loud is a Storm (lets say 1999) with the original exhaust?

Anybody an idea?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

muted and stifling

1997. EU Multi Directive becomes European law. Maximum noise limit for motorcycles set at 80 decibels. Europe wide implementation July 1999.

0 Decibels Threshold of hearing
10 Rustle of leaves
20 Water dripping
30 Whisper
40 Quiet radio in room
50 Moderate rainfall
60 Conversation, dishwasher
70 Busy traffic, vacuum cleaner
80 Alarm clock
90 Lawnmower
100 Snowmobile, chainsaw
110 Rock music
120 Jet plane takeoff

I've still got my original standard cans on from December's MOT (instead of the usual micron race cans) and I haven't had to worry about earplugs, setting off car alarms or waking sleeping babies.

In comparison open race pipes will be approx. up to and above 105 Db
kingster

Post by kingster »

Original cans are marked with the db limit I think? And I THINK it said 89db - but could be wrong.

My race cans were tested at Cadwell and were 102db.

Kingster
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Here's some sound and video files for you:

Right click and Save As: (Big thanks to Greg)
Stock Exhaust Sound
4 Hole Bafflectomy Sound
8 Hole Bafflectomy Sound
Staintune Race Exhaust Sound

Youtube vids:
My Storm with Blue Flame cans
My Storm with MIG cans
My Storm with hand made cans
Beamish's fabulous flyby
Wicky wrote:110 Rock music
Not in my house! Stereo runs through a 100 watt stack and if there's windows left in the street, it goes to 11.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
lee67

Post by lee67 »

my carbon can co exhausts aint too loud when cruising, but open it up its loud!!..makes dogs sh1t themselves, and run into the road( hey bob) :wink:
lmao_37

Post by lmao_37 »

beamish,s bike sounds sweet !

i have a pair of micron roadlegal cans on and mine isnt to loud but sounds good and they dont knock you eardrums for 6
wheres the road kill............?
iam hungry!!!!!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

lmao_37 wrote:beamish,s bike sounds sweet !

i have a pair of micron roadlegal cans on and mine isnt to loud but sounds good and they dont knock you eardrums for 6
:D :D :D I luurrrvve it. Due to the lack of friends with Storms I rarely get chance to compare in real time, so looking fwd to meeting up with some other Stormers.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
lmao_37

Post by lmao_37 »

i have the same problem i have stormless friends 1 has a zrx1200 and his wife has a yamaha diversion another friend has a transalp and my best mate has a trumph daytona 955i he is the only one who has been riding the same amout of experiance
wheres the road kill............?
iam hungry!!!!!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

lmao_37 wrote:i have the same problem i have stormless friends 1 has a zrx1200 and his wife has a yamaha diversion another friend has a transalp and my best mate has a trumph daytona 955i he is the only one who has been riding the same amout of experiance
Gixxer thou, Pan European, Harley something or other, ZX6, Mille, R6 One lad with three Dukes, basically everything but a Storm. What I do love is that if we all go out on a ride (very rare) its the Storm that turns heads on the starter button :D
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Timbo wrote:Beamish that is a great vid mate. I love the fact you can hear it so loud long after it has vanished down the road.
Yeh, I was quite suprised at the result as I took the vid with an Ixus camera, didnt expect the sound to be as good quality. I now know that the police would be well set up before I entered their speed trap 8O