Fuel tank conversion

General Bike chat
stormsmasher

Fuel tank conversion

Post by stormsmasher »

I have been asked by Chris King for some fitting advice on a tank swap to the later VTR tank on an earlier model.
From the photo I've seen the later tank does not have a fuel peticock like the old bikes have.
I know a simple solution would be to fit a Y piece and inline tap but just wanted to know if anyone has already done this modification and how they connected the tank up.

Also, does anyone have a diagramme of the later model tank & associated pipes.
I can find loads of microfiche details of the earlier bikes but nothing from the later ones.

Cheers

Daz
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

IIRC, fitting the later larger tank to an earlier model is just a case of fitting the early model petcock and fuel tap assembly to the later tank.

It only requires some relocating and rehosing of bits.

Shayne (Aussie guy with Blue one) and bluesman have both done it.

http://ozfirestorm.proboards34.com/inde ... ser=shayne
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Paul (Stratman) also did the same conversion to his Firestorm :D
http://www.easternriders.net/vfr_vtr.htm

Chris.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

erhm....well...
To install new tank on old model you actually need new tank, new model petcock, new model petcock mount, filtering element with hose connector that goes onto tank , new model left fuel pipe and piece of suitable generic hose for extended vacuum line (original does not reach just by 5 cm).
Or - you can fit old petcock to new tank by making adapter.
New petcock setup is pain in the butt - it makes umpossible to shut off fuel and remove tank without unbolting whole b...y petcock mount with petcock, but 19 liter is to nice to pass...
I will see if I can find photos of my coversion.
Never even try to buy new model petcock as spare part. It is stupidly expensive...
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
stormsmasher

Post by stormsmasher »

I like the idea of a conversion plate to fit the original petticock to keep things simple, cutting and welding the tank is no problem to me.

Daz
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

on old tank petcock sits on flange. New tank have treaded piece of tube sticking out. You can not make plate, you will need to cut out section from new tank and weld in plate. I would hesitate to weld tank there...if it leaks there it will go bad.
What you can do instead is use some other petcock. Original pre-2001 Storm one is really most unsuitable for the job...
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
kingster

Post by kingster »

Daz posted this on my behalf following a quick chat about it, and although I am not averse to welding, I think I'll try and find an inline vacuum tap or perhaps add in a fuel pump like the small units you get on older yam FZRs etc. that way, fuel would flow when it was on - just need to know if the wee pump would be up to job. There's plenty on ebay.

Anyone had any experience of this?

Cheers
Kingster
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Would Roger have any advice Kingster?

Seeing as many racetrack VTR's ran CBR fuel pumps, maybe theres a solution there.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Try this link.
It's written by Roger
http://www.vtr1000.org/faq_cbr_fpump.htm

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
kingster

Post by kingster »

Cheers Pete, I knew I had heard of this mod somewhere.
Looks like an ideal solution to my problem :-)