Upgrade FireStorm or buy SP1 or 2?

General Bike chat
Styler4077

Upgrade FireStorm or buy SP1 or 2?

Post by Styler4077 »

It's Christmas day and I'm in bed booord...
Got a bug from one of the kids, felt ruff this morning and throwing up all afternoon :-( :(

Any way should I spend money on my 2001 FireStorm or sell up to a SP1 or 2?
Need a "Roger'd" front end £230 ish
A new rear shock £350+
2 new tyres
New braided hoses, pads and fluid £150+
New CCT's to be safe £50
New Cans £300+
New jets and needles £80+

So £1200 ish plus my time. To make it handle for the track days next year.

Or Sell the bike £1600+ and but a SP1 or 2

How much to get to a SP1 or 2?

How close is a moded FS to a SP1 or 2? 70% less or more?

Just some plans ideas whilist I sit in bed.

Happy Christmas
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

They could not be more different if they tried. The SP1 is a no-holds-barred race machine. Rock hard suspension, glitchy fuelling and a torture device for pillions. Get it over 100mph and it will decimate most things, even the newest litre bikes (on the twisties). It benefits from some basic mods that you should look for: pipes, power commander, ohlins or upgraded suspension. They are raw, visceral, expensive to run and absolutely amazing. Had one, want another. They are 100% faster than a Firestorm, as long as you can give them the committment they need.
Styler4077

Post by Styler4077 »

Wow

Congratulations, that was a great desciption.

It's only for me, Harley and LT for me and the wife.
Want if for our Dyno, Solo riding, some track day lessons and sprinting next year.

Maybe I should look in to this more
Wroey

Post by Wroey »

I concur with what Mellis says.

The SP's require a lot of concentration & commitment if you’re going to ride one properly. They're not the easiest bike to ride, are an utter pain in the ass at low speed BUT as soon as you get one out on the open road it all comes together and you realise what they’re all about. They're is nothing better than the noise & power it makes when you come out of a bend, roll on the throttle and up up & away you go.

There is nothing I, Mellis or anyone can say that'll do them true justice. I appreciate the time of year isn’t best for riding but seriously go test ride one. The SP's are a marmite bike .... You either love 'em or hate 'em.
dunk4230

Post by dunk4230 »

I have got to agree with these 2 totally if you do buy one expect to pay around the £3000 mark i bought my 2nd one for 3500 in the middle of the year if you do buy and it has aftermarket cans make sure you get the originals too for MOT time
Ill Sleep When I Die
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

A agree with all thats been said. Buy the SP1 or SP2. It was made by Honda to do precisely what you want it for.
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.