Caliper Bolts / Seized Fairing Bolts!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Dazjm

Caliper Bolts / Seized Fairing Bolts!

Post by Dazjm »

Driving along the road today, felt a ping in the bars, followed by a clunking feeling / noise, followed by a more alarming lack of front brakes at the next junction........

I have no idea how, but im guessing a sheared bolt, causing the other to fail was the issue. As last time it was in the garage, the guy said the bolts were in so solid one of em sheared off (this was the caliper that ultimately stayed on) so im guessing the caliper that came off had a bad bolt/s.

Anyhoo, any idea where i can buy replacement bolts that will be the right size?

Seen a few adds on ebay for bolts, when searchin for Firestorm stuff. Those gonna work?

Also ive got seized alan bolts on the upper fairing. After trying to remove them, the heads gone kinda round :( so will be impossible to remove now :/ Whats the best way to get it out?

Sry for my incompetence!
Dazjm

Post by Dazjm »

In fact, could anyone recommend a good, o-ring set/bolt set and a good socket set !
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

"but im guessing a sheared bolt" 8O

what did your mk I eyeball see when you got home?

You could drill a hole and then use an extractor set to remove the broken bolt but if you don't feel confident then get it into the hands of decent mechanic ASAP. Plus look for any subsequent damage to your disk, brake line and caliper while it was on its free for all.

For the cost of a bolt balanced against risk I'd stick to a standard Honda replacement.

For the fairing bolts, 1st make sure you've got a decent set of allen sockets not cheesy keys. Tempting to say use a blowtorch to heat then chisel them out, so I'll resist. Drill and extract or just pass on the job to the mechanic fixing your brakes.

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk

Halfords do decent tool sets but don't get the cheesy cheap stuff.
Dazjm

Post by Dazjm »

Thanks Wicky.

I didnt have long to check out the caliper fixings, in fact, i cant even remember if i saw half a bolt stuck in the hole. All i can remember doing was trying to seperate the now forced together pads, and looking at the chips in my wheel, caused by the flailing caliper :(

I assumed the bolt/s had sheared rather than i hadnt tightened them. (christ surely i tightened them 8O )

Anyway scare #2 in my short bike owning history!
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Dazjm

If you find the calipers themselves are dodgy then let me know as I have a set in my garage that are surplus to requirements.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
VeetyR

Post by VeetyR »

As above ...get the replacement bots from honda.....bolts n bits aint usually that expensive.

As for tools....I have used plenty made of cheese in the past.......these days tho nowt but Halfords Proffesional or Snap On's go near my bike.

Halfords do a great all round set for around £150.

Correction...now £100 for this 150pc set

Great vcalue for money and solid tools too...VeetyR
Keep it gutter...Keep it grimey..........one!
Dazjm

Post by Dazjm »

Thanks lads.

I'll check out sourcing some Honda replacement bolts.

Iggy, on 1st check, the calipers seemed fine, nothing snapped or broken. Also the Tokico ones i have are "sposed" to be an upgrade , so i'll stick with them for meanwhile, cheers tho.

Looks like im gonna treat myself to an early Chrimbo prezzie, of a set of fine Halfords tools !