what would you swap your storm for

General Bike chat
bigtwinthing

Re: what would you swap your storm for

Post by bigtwinthing »

i remember them well and the red white and blue one always looked great. My mate still has an FJ1100 from a similar era. They weren't that old.

I don't think britain had a nice looking bike until the black Daytona came out. That was a horrid riding position with a huge reach to the bars and high pegs, and great until the spray clutch went after starting with a flat Battery Not an easy repair.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Watty

Post by Watty »

Watty wrote:http://www.classic-japanese-bikes.com/i ... 1000xx.jpg
This :D Wanted one since a child after having a poster of it on the bedroom wall :thumbup:
Just realised Party girl has this colour scheme on her storm :D
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Stu9

Post by Stu9 »

I done know about swapping it but in the throws of maybe getting a Daytona 955 but if I like it better than the vtr then it'll be sold unless I can keep both but struggling to find somewhere to keep the vtr in future (loosing garage and bike will in a carpark by the looks of things).....it's maybe a bloody stupid idea thinking about another one :roll:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Those Triple Triumphs have great grunt but my RS955 used so much oil, no leaks but just burnt it. MY Tiger 955i fought fire sat at traffic lights in southampton. 3 Cross motorcycles collected it. 3 days later i got a letter to bring the bike in for a recall due to possibly fuel leaks form a tank connection! i went off triumphs after that. Built in Britain with parts made from all over the world. Not really British!
MGoBlue

Post by MGoBlue »

The Milti and the SuperDuke tickle my fancy. :clap:
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Hmmm. What would I swap me Storm for? Quite a lot actually. (There's a bit of a preference for "comfier" bikes)

A proper mixed bag of bikes, in no particular order of choice:

Fully kitted out Yamaha FJ1200.
Yamaha V-Max (the original version, not the new fugly one).
BSA Road Rocket.
Harley Road King.
Harley FXSTC (1990s).
Harley Softtail (early model).
Honda GL1200 Aspencade.
Yamaha XVZ1200 Venture (Early Royal Star).
BMW 850RT.
Honda ST1100 Pan-European.
Honda CBX1000 Pro link.
78 Triumph TR7V Tiger.
Kawasaki GPZ900R (Black and gold).
Royal Enfield Continental GT (The Original one from the 60s, not the modern POS).

...and about 30 other bikes. But not a single Suzuki amongst them. And no 2 strokes either.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If swap mine for two and a half grand, to save me having to break it for parts.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

bigtwinthing wrote:Those Triple Triumphs have great grunt but my RS955 used so much oil, no leaks but just burnt it. MY Tiger 955i fought fire sat at traffic lights in southampton. 3 Cross motorcycles collected it. 3 days later i got a letter to bring the bike in for a recall due to possibly fuel leaks form a tank connection! i went off triumphs after that. Built in Britain with parts made from all over the world. Not really British!
All manufacturers do that, your never buy an American/Indian/British/French.......bike from country of origin, or at least not that I know of.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

i realise that, i just don't like Triumphs "British through and through" crap.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

This is what has my attention at the moment.

I like the idea of adjustable ergonomics and apparently they go like stink!

Have to find one to test ride.

Of course the Storm will stay though.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

do you guys not test ride much? I basically test ride almost everything i can. Ive hated most due to the riding position but the power of bikes these days is ridiculous. The BMW 1000rr was the fastest i think, well felt like it. I tried an RC8 and that engine is so punchy and they look great.

I do notice though that most sports bikes make you keep your head so low you can't see far up the road. The Duke Multistrada like in the pic was totally awesome. The VFR 1200 was great but so Ugly. Honda need a new 1000/1200cc upright pokey bike Not Adventure but like the new Suzuki thingy.

Like mine but pokier and with a half fairing.
Last edited by bigtwinthing on Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virt

Post by Virt »

bigtwinthing wrote:do you guys not test ride much? I basically test ride almost everything i can. Ive hated most due to the riding position but the power of bikes these days is ridiculous. The BMW 1000rr was the fastest i think, well felt like it. I tried an RC8 and that engine is so punchy and they look great.

I do notice though that most sports bikes make you keep your head so low you can't see far up the road. The Duke Multistrada like in the pic was totally awesome. The VFR 1200 was great but so Ugly. Honda need a new 1000/1200cc upright pokey bike Not Adventure but like the new Suzuki thingy.

Like none but pokier and with a half fairing.
I'm not allowed to test ride most things cause I'm under 25, I bought the V-Strom without a test ride (like the VTR).. :lol: :(

The sport/road-adventure bikes are amazing, Honda do have one similar to mine though. My Dad owns it in fact, it's the CrossTourer. 1200cc V4 with a shaft drive, it's what made me want a bike of this style in the first place. You need to test ride one, they are actually incredible. Really, really grunty (roll on at low rpms and it stays level with the Strom)
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Virt wrote:The sport/road-adventure bikes are amazing, Honda do have one similar to mine though. My Dad owns it in fact, it's the CrossTourer. 1200cc V4 with a shaft drive, it's what made me want a bike of this style in the first place. You need to test ride one, they are actually incredible. Really, really grunty (roll on at low rpms and it stays level with the Strom)
I couldn't agree with you more Virt :thumbup:

I think problem is that people just don't realise how good these type/style of bike really are.

Tbh, the majority of these bikes are not lookers & are not fit for a teens bedroom wall. It can be done though, take the Multistrada for instance.

I just don't understand why they can replicate race bikes so well with the likes of the Fireblade etc. But when it comes to Rally raid/adventure types of bike they miss the trick & give us half hearted fugly parts bin bikes :?

I feel that I am on a mission to turn the fugly Varadero into the bike Honda should of built & sold. All be it its still a parts bin bike, but for instance, why give it crappy camshafts & a Lister cement mixer flywheel? You can argue its for more low down tractability, but I'd of concentrated on cutting the weight of the bike down tbh...

It's a shame really, but If I where you Virt I would be looking into what TL1000 parts you can shoe horn into your engine. Remember, the TL had 130 rwhp. The Multistrada has 150bhp at the crank :shh:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

I had a cross tourer for 3 days, silky smooth and fast, bloody high though and iam 6ft. I did a turn on a tarmac path and there was a hole, i nearly dropped it. On the road it was great. Head high up and you could see for miles. tour all day ay a ton.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Aprilia RSV4 with Austin Racing exhaust......