Praticing wheelies and not binning your bike!

General Biker Banter

Have crashed trying to pull a wheelie?

Yes, Many times
13%
Yes, once and i was gutted
8%
No Never, hahaahh in your face squiffy!
79%

Total votes: 24

cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Squiffythewombat wrote:Wheelie School, yeah i would love to go, but it would cost about £300 which is wayyyyy out of my range, remmber im a poor butt st0dent unlike you lot!
Remember the cost if it all goes tits up 8O
Rich.

Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

yeah but im an optimist :lol:

plus...if im gonna crash i think its far more likelly to be during stoppie pratice!!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
sparky750

Post by sparky750 »

Squiffythewombat wrote:yeah but im an optimist :lol:

plus...if im gonna crash i think its far more likelly to be during stoppie pratice!!
Love your attitude squiffy how much did your lowside cost ya last time just binned mine
The voices made me do it
EGG

Post by EGG »

Squiffy,
Take your time have some balls but don't get cocky. Do the first gear thing to get used to hitting the balance point. Once you are comfy with that try lifting in first and hooking second whilst at bal point. Be carefull when you start hitting second and cracking the throttle open it will go higher. Then go from second to third.
Pulling a wheelie at 2 mph outside a meet off the thottle and hitting the bal point is cool as mate. You won't see race rep's doing that.
ENJOY.
:twisted:
Better to burn out than just fade away!
Squiffythewombat

finally got some vids tonight, they are really a bit poo because its dark and theres a lack of lighting! ill post one up tommorow and at least then u can get an idea and hopefully tell me where im going wrong or doing things right!

Im getting used to the feeling of the front going light now and im begining to understand what all you guys mean by balance point- it just kinda hangs/sits in the air at a point of equlibruim!

sidenote_ KAZ THOSE CANS...OMG...some guy in a pickup came down to our pratice strip and asked if we wouldnt mind going somewhere else and i quote ;
" as theres this f***king loud bike razing about and its driving my wife mad, see that light over there, thats 2 miles away and all i can hear is buuuuuuuu......"

i appologised deeply and moved on, didnt realise they were THAT loud, lol!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Max

Post by Max »

Mr Wombat,

Last night I took the baffles out of my Art cans as everyone seems to think they sound nicer that way, I went out of my estate for a little ride and when I returned my two mates were pissing themselves. On the way out the bike had set off 2 or 3 car alarms,they thought it was great untill I mentioned to them I go to work at half 5 in the morning. :lol:
Squiffythewombat

LOL YOU KNOW!!! considering the fact that mine are the race cans and dont have any baffles, and thats aside from the complete lack of gaskets so they pop and bang quite a bit!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

sparky750

Post by sparky750 »

Squiffy you must have missed last question how much did your lowside cost you to fix and what was broken?
The voices made me do it
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Bike back tomorrow !!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Mechanic reckoned id twisted the forks out of line somehow ? Reset everything and now straight !!!! :)
He has managed to lose my rear pads though ! But is replacing them F.O.C . :?
Sorted out a set of 207 RR's for me for £140 fitted. Not bad eh ? :D
Apparently carb balance was well out ! felt ok to me ! Picking her up tomorrow so will know more then.
Back to prctising my wheelies again ! Hope i dont drop her down too quick this time ! :oops:
By the way Scotland was a blast ! and next time will take the bike. Sat was a total washout but picked up, spotted a few storms too ! Especially through Callender, dont know where they were going ?
Soon be summer gal n guys !!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
sparky750

Post by sparky750 »

Good to hear it'll be back on the road soon yella mines in on friday gutted.
The voices made me do it
Squiffythewombat

sorry sparky dude, i was lucky with my lowside as i put myswelf between the bike and floor (i heal, plastic doesnt) so it was buggered indicator, scratched clutch casing, slight mark on fairing and a brake pedal like a banana. I got the indicators from a very kind man on here, the brake lever from a breakers for £25 and im keeping the "battle scars" on the bike as i dont mind the odd scratch! However the brake lever took about 2 hours and many many breakers to source!

WHEELIES_ right 1st gear wheelies for me are not getting pretty easy, im definatly no longer scared of the front lifting and any bit of straight road sees me getting it up HOWEVER...

2nd gear is just impossible no matter how hard i try it just does nothing other than acceralte quickly! Ive tried sitting really far back on the seat and difernt styles of wrist twisting but nothing sees it come up, not even little 1 inch bunny hops....

its possible with somebody on the back so im thinking it could be something to do with the weight? i dont weigh bugger all, maybe 10stone TOPS, so could be a light lanky git actually be against me or am i just being crap?

and yeah yeah, ill try and get some pics, problem is it keeps getting dark!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

sparky750

Post by sparky750 »

Try clutching it second then pull the clutch bulid ya revs and dump it should pop the front up no probs maybe you just need a tug on the bars mate
The voices made me do it
Squiffythewombat

tried that dude and nout, not a Richard bird :-S

however finally i have a video where u can actually see me in, rather than a 2 pixel lump...

only prob is where to upload it? shall i just dump it on my webspace and link to it here?
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Squiffythewombat

tried that dude and nout, not a Richard bird :-S

however finally i have a video where u can actually see me in, rather than a 2 pixel lump...

only prob is where to upload it? shall i just dump it on my webspace and link to it here?
Squiffy_The_Wombat

VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

I reckon the reason a lot have problems with power wheelies is a fear of the power of the storm. I only ever do them if I'm dragging, ie, focussed on the speed rather than getting the wheel up. Can never deliberately do them. However, after reading another thread here on wheelies, I did my very first wheelie doing the second gear 4-5000 rev thing using the throttle. Gave me a warm fuzzy on the way to work that lasted my whole shift! Unfortunately, I finish late at night & don't live far from work, so the beast didn't have enough time to warm up for another try on the way home.

Thanks for all the advice on that other thread (that I can't find...) guys! Scary feeling, but I plan to get used to it, quick as I can! 8)