wheelie help...once again...

General Bike chat
df_vtr

Post by df_vtr »

Dynamite, I can echo Weshy's comments, although only by accident (not AN accident though thankfully).

I spent virtually all of my 25 mile ride home from the office in second gear the other evening, trying to second gear wheelie using the clutch. After MANY attempts, knowing I wasn't applying enough throttle, I began to feel the front go light (I was doing this at around the 5k rev mark (standard geared bike)). Finally I managed a few little 'skips' and then a reasonable one footish wheelie as I became a (little) more confident with the throttle.

I decided to stop and rode on as normal. As I was approaching home I left a traffic light junction and, as I changed into 2nd, pulled the clutch in and gave considerably more throttle. Streuth, the front came up a treat - at least 2+ feet (that's a lot to me believe me). Naturally the surprise was so great I put it right back down again (Geoff would tell me I should have kept on going, stood up and flicked it onto in 3rd. Yeah, right).

So it can be done, but it's a case of increasing your confidence with that right hand.

Courageous words from a novice who is a way off getting it right still.

Darren
EGG

wheelies

Post by EGG »

[quote="smokin joes"]OK,
Sounds like your subconsious "anti flip" is holding you back here,
Hi smokin joes wheelies are coming on leaps and bounds. Lots of air in 1st from 2000rpm all the way to the red line even half stood up a couple of times. I can hook 2nd aswell now and when it stays in gear and i get it right it's good however more often than not it pops out of 2nd. Do you know how i can stop this happening? Gets scary at 80 slammimg down and a corner looming when you are coasting. Apart from that it's good fun. :twisted:
Better to burn out than just fade away!
welshy

Post by welshy »

Ben/Oliv.

I have got some stuff together. It's about 22Meg so no chance of emailing. I haven't got anywhere so you can download it. Only thing is if you have Kazaa/IMesh you could use that to download it from my PC. Let me know. Working on a way to get it smaller as it's only about 2 minutes long!
Welshy :-)
Bikeless :-(
BP team

Post by BP team »

Hi welshy,
S**t! I haven't anywhere to record it on the net for you and i don't know what is a "Kazaa/IMesh ". Sorry. Can't help you for this point... But if you find a solution tell it to me. May be you can, in a first time, cut the 2minutes in several seconds to send it to us in an email.

As for me, i've found a camescope. I'll film me and my friends but i can't put it on a computer to send it (for the moment). But i'll do a VHs. When i'll have my one computer i'll try to put it on the net. But it's a question of months...

This week end i've done a 500m wheelie with a friend on my side (also in wheelie). Funny and impressive for people along side the road. :wink:

enjoy
Oliv'
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

i've made a further progression !!!!!!!!!!

stuck my Microns back on at the weekend.........(just been polished).

Previously was running standard cans.....all i was getting was a bit of bouncing.....

Tried last night........Blimey.......

straight of the throttle, as per previous, 4-5k, 2nd gear, little "Cough" on the throttle, then hard on........

instant big wheely, (well, at least about 6 inches of the floor)..............

i never realised how much difference the cans would make.....

throttle response is now much crisper........just lifts the front straight up now........(none of that bouncing rubbish no more).......

WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY HHHHAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(shame winter is nearly here)
BP team

Post by BP team »

Nice! when you manage a wheelie one time, you can't stop yourself and you want to do it one more time and more and more. After it will be the same when you will "pass" (Translation??) a car, you'll want to do it again and after you'll want to pass 2 cars... it's the "ramp up!".
Happy for you!
Oliv'
welshy

Post by welshy »

Arghh...

I have the passing of cars on my vid, but I just can't get it to you guys.

Try again tonite.
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

we're now "popping" little (6-12 inch) wheelies to order, without use of the clutch........

just need to try to get a bit more height.....
BP team

Post by BP team »

weshy,
i'd like to see it! i'm happy you anderstood the expression passing of car coz i wasn't sure that it was right in english. is that the right expression or is there any other word to tell it? I became my camera today. i'll do video too! i'd like to fix it on my bike but dangerous for the material and may be the vibration could give a bad picture...

essexbloke,
just wanted to tell you, that the height will come easy after some trainings, but the difficulty is too keep the height (for me).
Enjoy and pass the cars in wheelie (especially
when it's pretty girl driving!)

Oliv'
welshy

Post by welshy »

Oliv.

You mean 'overtake'.

Oiliv says : 'passing of car'.
English : 'overtaking a car'.

It is fun 'overtaking a car' doin a wheelie. Just make sure they are not gonna pull out. Thats where loud cans play a part. Be safe and have fun.
welshy

Post by welshy »

I have now managed to upload my vid to Korn who will hopefully get it available for download. Be gentle with me as it's off the front of my wing mirror so not the best place to see a wheelie....more to follow....

Cheers
welshy

Post by welshy »

BP team

wonderful

Post by BP team »

Hi,
wonderful vid! i lihe it very well. i also want to do vid like it since i have found a camera (not a numeric but a K7 HI8). but i have some questions.
1°) where and how do you fix your camera on the bike
2°) what angle did you choose to make possible to film the road when you drive "cool" and when you are on the rear wheel?
3°) do you protect the objectif (glasses) of the camera from the flies (butterflies, thraws...)
4°) did you protect the camera from the vibration and from chocks( chocks of putting down especially). how if yes?

I think you've got a numeri camera so yours is more little than mine. so i will try to do it too.
If you can answer me to these questions it could be very funny, and could help me to not spend my time in looking for a method a fixing.

Thank you and enjoy!

PS : i've written your plate's number... your in the swump (i believe there is an expression like that...)

A+ les gars' (means see you guys) :)

Oliv'
chromedome

Post by chromedome »

Aside from the odd accidental lift on an old LC, I had never wheelied anything I've owned. With a few mates I went to the Wheelie School, and spent the day learning on a 1200 Bandit. Boy what a hoot, those things are a cinch to get up. This didn't translate to great wheelies on my 'Storm, though (fear of financial pain), although I have been doing some half decent ones in first. I shall now be trying the technique described here for second gear. If only I had the recklesness of my teenage years!
dynamite

Done it!!

Post by dynamite »

I had the day off work ill today so i thought that would give me some pracitice time.It paid off! I was getting some good ones off the clutch in 2nd which ive never done before!I thought i'd try giving the bars a tug which ive never done before a way-hey it came up sooooooo smoothly and soooooo easy to control not like 1st gear!Now i find it so easy to do ive just gotta practice keeping them going though! Thanks for the help everyone!!!!!

Matt
Burn Rubber Not Your Soul!