engine swap & Flat bar conversion

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
geodude

Re: engine swap & Flat bar conversion

Post by geodude »

Brilliant job :thumbup: Looking forward to seeing it for real :)
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Nice one . My brake lines run the same lol .
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

R&G barend weights with plastic sliders now fitted, they look good :thumbup:

if the weather is good Sunday I Might have to take it out for a run even if I have to fit the old Showa shock.
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nice job Alastair :clap:
I like your method for undoing the clutch center nut :clap:

I hope the weather is better for you than it is here, then you can tell us what's your opinion on the flat bar conversion :D

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

final pictures after i just took it for a 3 mile spin to see if everything worked and the engine went through all the gears. no chance to see how it effects the handling as the roads are a bit slippy and i still have the old Showa in the back with no spacers fitted so will have to wait for the Nitron to return and the roads to dry up before I work out if I want to drop the front a bit more to compensate for the loss of weight on the front.
Also to short a spin to be able to tell if the vibration is gone, but it all sounded and ran OK.

First impression is that the riding position feels very similar to the KTM SMT that my mate rides, but perhaps still a bit lower and more sporty (which is what I was after), but it will take me a bit of time to get my head fully adjusted to it.

looks like I imight need some mirror extenders as I see more elbow than before and on full lock with your hand covering the front brake lever my fingers bang into the bottom of the mirror!

was fun to be out even though I was in my openface trials helmet.

AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

it will take a little time to adjust and then you will think "why didnt i do it years ago" .
your bars are angled forward more than mine and looks good .

the r1 mirrors helped me but still not great .
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Cheers Alastair for the feedback :) As Lloydie says, it will take time for you to adjust to the new riding position, and to get it set up to your liking is bound to take time.

Good to know everything seems to be OK with the bike after her test flight :D

What's happened to your Nitron shock :?:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

sirch345 wrote:

Chris.
Had some free play inthe top rose joint brg, so they took it back to swap and I got them to do a service while it was in the shop.... They give you a good customer service :thumbup:
AMcQ
bluestoesonnose

Post by bluestoesonnose »

Looking good, just needs a belly pan of some sort IMO, just a personal thing I do think they finish the bike
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

bluestoesonnose wrote:Looking good, just needs a belly pan of some sort IMO, just a personal thing I do think they finish the bike
I agree...I have a Moriwaki copy in black that is removed just now as I am jacking the engine up by the sump most days as I fiddle with the steering and suspension. So it will be staying on a hook in the garage till all the jobs are done,then I will pop it on for final photos
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote:
sirch345 wrote:

Chris.
Had some free play inthe top rose joint brg, so they took it back to swap and I got them to do a service while it was in the shop.... They give you a good customer service :thumbup:
I didn't think you could have worn it out already :wink:

Always good to hear of good after sales service, something that is getting harder to find nowadays :clap:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Well managed to get some time in the garage again today and did all the final little jobs that I had short cut so I could get the last test ride.

Took the sprint steering damper off and sent it off to get the air taken out of it (Sprint don't deal with the old down the side of the frame types anymore, so I sent it to one of their ex employees who is looking after these)
Fitted the Nitron shock
Fixed an oil leak from the rear CCT gasket
Swapped the rear cam cover for the one of the original engine as I forgot to take my own advice and put gaffa tape on it to avoid the frame scratching it when it goes over the top.
Balanced the carbs
Did a compression test 150psi back and front :thumbup:

Put it all back together and nipped out for a quick 20 mile shake down.

I am liking the riding position, works so much better for normal riding and has no draw backs when you decide to Press on a bit (or a lot :D ). It is also generating less wind noise on my helmet as I must be above the turbulent air coming off the screen. It does need the steering damper back on or I need to learn to hold on less tight when the speedo is moving round the dial to the big numbers, but was all good so happy bunny :thumbup:

Well except when I met a van coming the other way when there was 2" of standing water and I got a face full of tidal wave :(
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

AMCQ46 wrote:Well managed to get some time in the garage again today and did all the final little jobs that I had short cut so I could get the last test ride.

Took the sprint steering damper off and sent it off to get the air taken out of it (Sprint don't deal with the old down the side of the frame types anymore, so I sent it to one of their ex employees who is looking after these)
Fitted the Nitron shock
Fixed an oil leak from the rear CCT gasket
Swapped the rear cam cover for the one of the original engine as I forgot to take my own advice and put gaffa tape on it to avoid the frame scratching it when it goes over the top.
Balanced the carbs
Did a compression test 150psi back and front :thumbup:

Put it all back together and nipped out for a quick 20 mile shake down.

I am liking the riding position, works so much better for normal riding and has no draw backs when you decide to Press on a bit (or a lot :D ). It is also generating less wind noise on my helmet as I must be above the turbulent air coming off the screen. It does need the steering damper back on or I need to learn to hold on less tight when the speedo is moving round the dial to the big numbers, but was all good so happy bunny :thumbup:

Well except when I met a van coming the other way when there was 2" of standing water and I got a face full of tidal wave :(
Good news al 150psi and on completing the conversion :thumb up:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I bet that felt good to go for a spin. Oh and a swim at the same time. :lol: :lol: Youv'e got some good compression there. What are you going to do with the old engine, fix it up to race spec :biggrin could be a nice little project for you. Marty and myself ended up taking off the rear cam cover, those clearances are so tight. :eek2 It also makes it easier to pull any electrical looms out the way and guide them through.

Good work, a well deserved :beer: is in order. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I keep an old scraped and peeling set of covers to fit when removing an engine. I don't want any crud falling in, which might happen if they're simply removed.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.