And so it begins !!!!

General Bike chat
BrianC

Re: And so it begins !!!!

Post by BrianC »

So

The pace has now picked up!!!!

I fitted the front head a few weeks ago, checked the valve clearances etc!!! Then stalled with work etc.

But now ive refitted the carbs, twice as i forgot the plastic covers the first time!!'

Fitted cam covers, oil cooler, rads and hoses with new clamps. Fitted new oil filter. Fitted clutch cover and slave and bled clutch. Fitted base of air box.
Fitted footbegs and swinging arm bolt.
Prepped exhaust headers for vht paint
Stripped rear caliper.

Now waiting for air filer, plugs, caliper kit and a few other bits to do regulator wiring mod.

Also got my pristine rear subframe to fit.

So plenty still to do, but getting there
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Nice one Brian, It's really starting to come together :thumbup:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Had a great day in the garage today before work this evening.

Firstly sprayed the exhaust headers with vht paint - they look very tidy.
Fitted new air filter.
Then filled up the oil and coolant
Then cranked the engine over without plugs in just to get oil circulated and the good news was that the oil light soon went off and there was no horrid noises!!!!!

Still waiting for a replacement 5 pin plug for the rectifier so i can do the wiring mod and seeing as i was planning to fit my replacement new powder coated rear subframe i havent fitted the tank yet so not gone for the big start yet !!!!!

Still i decided to crack on and strip out the rusty old subframe and fit the nice new one - its quite an involved job and i was glad to have storm 1 to refer to. All electrical junctions were cleaned and refitted with dielecric grease.

Still waiting for new piston and seals for the rear calliper,

Then its move to tidy the fork stantions uo

so more work to do ,,,,,
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Keep it up and remember pics
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Good point Lloydie

Note to self .- take camera in tomorrow.

Hoping to get headers on tommorow and loose fit those great buy anonymous exhausts on.

Hopefully rear caliper kit turns up and i rebuild that as well.

Moving ever closer!!!!!!

Brian
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Todays planned work has pretty puch gone to plan but before i get onto that here are some pictures of the newly fitted powdercoated replacement rear subframe - it really 'lifts' the back of the bike

plus a picture of the top of the bike following the repair of the front head etc Airbox is now in situ, ready for the tank to be fitted.

So today first job was to have a look at the freshly pained replacement headers - they look pretty good and better than before

So it was on with them with new sealing rings and nuts - what a fiddly job, especially the rear part, but I prevailed!!!.

Whilst i was doing that the new rear caliper piston and seal kit arrived so that was fitted, the caliper put back on with new pads, and then bled to get a great pedal.

Then it was time to have a look at the aftermarket exhausts that came with the bike and to try and seperate their link pipes from the silencers - what a job!!!! Lots of heat, lube and brute force but they came apart and are now ready for fitting when the new clamps arrive.

Need to get the bike off the the paddock stand and onto the abba lift so i can fit the exhausts and then move on to refurbish the fork lowers, and then we are pretty much there - I think!!!

Sure there will be more challenges along the way!!!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Do i , or dont I????

Do i fit the silencers that came with this bike, in the knowledge that they are 'Not for road use', and will i get an mot with them fitted?

I do have a pair of standards
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Polish the NFR markings off...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Got a mate ready to do that !!!!!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

So my mate has removed the offending words !!

And also given them a 'brushed' finish. - also confirmed they are titanium which makes my investment of £600 for the whole bike all the better.

It had already had £600 spent on it before the previous owner went out on it before fitting the manuals he had already bought!!!! And rued the consequences.

I havent spent that much on getting it into decent shape, so as long as it goes when i fire it up all is good !!!!
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

I should be able to hear your bike from here then :D great stuff Brian
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

BrianC wrote:Todays planned work has pretty puch gone to plan but before i get onto that here are some pictures of the newly fitted powdercoated replacement rear subframe - it really 'lifts' the back of the bike

The freshly p/coated rear sub-frame looks good Brian :thumbup:

Chris.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The original one was really crusty !!!!!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Managed to get back in the garage today and fitted a replacement starter cable and bingo it throws over great now !!!!!

Had to make an additional wooden base to fit on my bike lift so i can use my abba lift on the hike lift safely. And do i can remove the usual paddock stand so i can start refitting the lonk pipes and titanium cans. - now road legal wink wink !!!!

The other reason for getting the abba lift in place was to lift the front end and refurbish the fork lowers.

But

One of the fork stems has a very small sliver of fork oil on it. - will this fail mot?

Ive never done a fork seal replacment - how difficult is it?

I took the front calipers off as they are really grotty and have split them as the pistons seems very stiff - the pistons just have light corrosion about 1 to 2 mm from the top. Are they reusable or should i go for replacements???? Im going for new seals anyway.

How do other people clean up grotty calipers?

Brian
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

looking well fella i have to say :thumbup:

for calipers i soaked mine in stuff called Elbow grease. its oven cleaner that asda sell. bloody great stuff. semi chem also sell it.£1 a bottle..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: