Praticing wheelies and not binning your bike!

General Biker Banter

Have crashed trying to pull a wheelie?

Yes, Many times
13%
Yes, once and i was gutted
8%
No Never, hahaahh in your face squiffy!
79%

Total votes: 24

Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

hey Jim,

Nice Mount you got there, it looks like a usal tripod that youve adapted?

Ill try and upload some of my vids over the weekend, although i cant remmber where i save them! d`oh!

Your welcome to upload the vids to some of my webspace if you like?

Im trying to think how im going to rig the camera on my VTR (all other vids were on ZXR4) as i have a irriduim db screen so i cant point a camera through it?? Any ideas?
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
monomaster

Post by monomaster »

I thought this was as good a place to open my first post with...

Wheeling (or mono's) are best done using the "cluch-it-up" in 2nd gear method.... 1st gear is way too violent & very hard on the motor. Redline on the back wheel is a sure method of destruction!

Decide whether your a "sit down" or "stand-up" mono'er... sit down is good for speed, stand-up is good for slower stuff over a longer distance.

My VTR has got 1 tooth less on the front sprocket so it comes up sooooo much easier...
Bring your bike up to about 3500rpm in 2nd gear, pull the clutch, rev it up to about 6-7000rpm & ease the clutch out...you'll get the hang of how quick to do this. Too slow & you are just slipping the clutch, too fast & well..you know what! It will become second nature after a while & it's very, very addictive.. :twisted:

Happiness is a 200kph mono past a Catholic Schoolgirl excursion
Sharpe1

Post by Sharpe1 »

Check out this Vid. Good Aussie stunter.
Larry.

'99 YELLOW
A man goes to the Zoo, but when he arrives there's only a dog.

It was a Shitzu!
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

You guys followed me back here or what ? :lol:
Squiffythewombat

hey mono, are you registared over on the OZ storm site, im pretty sure i was reading a wheelie thread of yours earlier this week, lol!

I got my bike back last night (best feeling ever) and ive got another 50miles or so before the tyres are scrubbed in, then im going to try that technique of yours as everywhere i read says you shuld learn on the clutch, with various techniques....ill let you know how i get on...
Squiffy_The_Wombat

sparky750

Post by sparky750 »

Had a real scary moment putting a gixer thou down when it popped out of gear used to mono every chance i got not so much now always found second gear easiest on every bike plus its easier to change up 2nd- 3rd than 1st- 2nd an dkeep the wheelie but its all about practice
The voices made me do it
monomaster

Post by monomaster »

Squiffythewombat wrote:hey mono, are you registared over on the OZ storm site, im pretty sure i was reading a wheelie thread of yours earlier this week, lol!
That's me mate! Good luck, enjoy & don't blame me for the excessive wear on the rear tyre OK. (The upside is you have less wear on the front!)
monomaster

Post by monomaster »

sparky750 wrote:Had a real scary moment putting a gixer thou down when it popped out of gear
Bwahahahahahahaha

I know that feeling..

I agree with you whole heartedly there sparky', the key is getting your bike to the balance point, so you can row up through the gears. Forget first gear! Once you master 2nd to 3rd (awesome feeling when you do it for thr first time :wink: ), 3rd to 4th becomes simple as sh*t....

Practise getting it up to the balance point, then try slowing it down. I can hold a 2nd gear mono for about 900m before I need to change to 3rd..
jollybod

Post by jollybod »

smug b*****d. :lol:
monomaster

Post by monomaster »

jollybod wrote:smug b*****d. :lol:
Hey, if you've got it, wave it 10' in the air I say!!!!! :wink: :lol: :lol:
Squiffythewombat

mono, ive tried about 3 or 4 times to registar on the OZ forum but for some reason i get to the stage where im ment to be emailed a password but the email never comes? i dont surpose you know any mod's emails by chance?

anyway...monos....i cant get it up...(you can keep the jokes, lol)

Ive tried in 2nd gear, at 5k, opening and closing the throttle really quickly but nothing happens, should i be crusing at 5k when i do this or should the revs be rising sharpy and then at 5k do this? I want to try it up on the clucth as ive heard this is the way to learn, and although on several occassion ive manged to get some front wheel air, i just dump myself and one of two things happens....one i end up letting the clutch out too slowly and just slip it because im worried its going to shoot up and two i let it out and the bike kinda lurches forward. It kinda of scares me as im paranoid im going to let the clutch out too quick and see the bike go over my head.....any tips? i know your a pro...?
Squiffy_The_Wombat

sparky750

Post by sparky750 »

Sqwiffy if ya cant get it up mate you really should get it checked out :wink:
Cover your back brake dump the clutch and nail the bitch if its going too high use the back brake if its going completely tits slip the clutch in a bit just be careful mate i'd hate your storm to go down the road.

Wheelies aren't big or clever who ever said that couldn't wheelie
REMEMBER the bigger they are the cleverer they are :lol:
The voices made me do it
monomaster

Post by monomaster »

As sparky said, just let the biatch go.... its not going over the top so don't worry....unless your redlining it before you let the clutch go..(note: don't do that).

When your starting out more revs is better than not enough. I tried & tried for ages before I got it so don't worry keep practising, it'll come.

Send me a PM of your email addy & i'll get a moderator on Ozfirestorm to give you a holler. I've seen your name on the site as "latest member", so it obviously registered.
Squiffythewombat

hi guys, thanks for the tips, its pissing it down outside right now, but the second its dry im going to go out and give it a go. I know inside me that its not going to flip, its just that horrid anti-danger subconcious thing that screws me over!

PM Sent mono, many thanks!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

sparky750

Post by sparky750 »

keep us posted how you get on with your new mono status sqwiffy
The voices made me do it