Won't rev above 7k, carbs or coils?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
VTRDark

Re: Won't rev above 7k, carbs or coils?

Post by VTRDark »

Some pics that may be of help in getting your head around it. What happens is that when the cams are removed, someone turns the crank over the wrong amount of degrees and for example when going from rear to front, stops the first time the FT comes into view rather than the full 450 degrees and then puts the cams back in place facing what seems to be the right direction so all visually looks correct.

==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

What on earth is a detent stroke, Carl?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

LOL

Don't know I didn't make it. I think I grabbed this off the Ozzie firestorm site a long time ago. They have some strange lingo cobber. I think it means something along the lines of pressure release or pressure operated detent on return stroke :confused
Alex.

Post by Alex. »

Well, I think I need to re-evaluate the riding skills of my friends.

I don't get much time in the garage, so it took a while, but upon checking the cam timing they were 180 deg out! Checking the paperwork, the only time engine work was done was after a camchain tensioner went back in 2007!
So I took out the cams in the rear cylinder, turned the crank 360 deg and put them back in. Such a short sentence for a solid afternoons work.
At the same time, I put the race cans back on as they were not the revving problem and they do sound nice. 8)

She easily revved over 7k at standstill, so it just left riding to confirm. Today I rode to work and all appears to be good!
The engine seems happier at all times of riding, less prone to bogging or shaking at low revs (a life spent on inline 4s means I need to learn how to ride a twin). The couple of times I had an open stretch of road, she revved cleanly up high.

While I had her in pieces I replaced the plastic nuts on the choke cable, one had broken previously and I know from other bikes that these can be a weak point. From other threads on here, I found my way to the Rugged Roads aluminium nuts for the Africa Twin. Ordered a pair (£24.50 delivered) and they fitted a treat.

Now I just need to get out there and ride while we still have some good weather left...
Thanks for your help guys.

Alex.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Great news, I love a happy ending :thumbup:

Now you can get on with riding & modding :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Now you will have a big grin on our face :biggrin Enjoy and thanks for the update :thumbup:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Well done in sorting it out! :clap: have you popped by with the VTR to the previous owner and let him have ride? :-)

If it hasn't already had manual tensioners fitted - see to it pronto so! Same with R&R :thumbup:

PS and add some pics of your storm beastie.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It's good to hear you've fixed it, well done :thumbup:

Chris.