stuck right baffle

General Bike chat
MacV2

Re: stuck right baffle

Post by MacV2 »

callam_nffc wrote:Its at the point where it just moves back further if I hit it with a hammer

Think I'm going to try and get some sort of half inch chisel that's like ten inches long and bash it out (ooh er)
Yeah it will do that, the idea is that you break the weld. You could try using a bit of wood or something that is big enough to cove the baffle spout but small enough to to fit in the outer/larger spout, so that you can hammer it in a bit further. There is a risk that you wont then be able to reach it to pull it out so be careful.

I know the 'push pull as fast as you can' thing works because its how I did mine.

You said earlier that it was free & turning 360*. If you have room shine a torch down & see if in breaking it you have made a kind of key way. i.e. its broken but has a chunk on one bit. If so you will need to turn it to line it up & then remove.

Persevere it is worth it. :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

mattycoops43 wrote:Hi there.

I am completely new here and new to VTR's, can I just ask, are we referring to removing baffles from a standard pair of cans, and is that worth doing? I hate how quiet my bike is. It's my second bike for fun and I want it to make small children cry as I go past.

:wtf:
Yes remove one of the two baffles in the standard cans.

Yes it is worth doing, as it's free.

Yes it is worth doing for the sound.

Yes I do have a set in the loft.

Yes they are for sale.

Mac.
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

MacV2 wrote:
callam_nffc wrote:Its at the point where it just moves back further if I hit it with a hammer

Think I'm going to try and get some sort of half inch chisel that's like ten inches long and bash it out (ooh er)
Yeah it will do that, the idea is that you break the weld. You could try using a bit of wood or something that is big enough to cove the baffle spout but small enough to to fit in the outer/larger spout, so that you can hammer it in a bit further. There is a risk that you wont then be able to reach it to pull it out so be careful.

I know the 'push pull as fast as you can' thing works because its how I did mine.

You said earlier that it was free & turning 360*. If you have room shine a torch down & see if in breaking it you have made a kind of key way. i.e. its broken but has a chunk on one bit. If so you will need to turn it to line it up & then remove.

Persevere it is worth it. :thumbup:
Yeah I think that is what I have done mate, gonna get some better grips from work tomorrow

Also if I can't find a long chisel I'm just gonna use a long piece of 12mm thread cut to about 10 inches and use that to whack it chisel style
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

hi mac, i hope you didn't mind me dropping your name into the mix, when asked if someone had a pair for sale.... :thumbup:
no poor fruit related jokes please........ :wink:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

bigspanishmarty wrote:hi mac, i hope you didn't mind me dropping your name into the mix, when asked if someone had a pair for sale.... :thumbup:
no poor fruit related jokes please........ :wink:
I didn't mention it Marty because you had previously stated an interest in said pipes of debafflement, obviously your no longer interested then I take it. :crazy:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

still not sure mac, i was waiting for you to get back to me about their condition, but i guessed you weren't to keen on getting them out of the loft.
if someone else wants/needs them thats ok with me, it doesn't bother me as i have some race cans for the second bike.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

so...........

whats the going rate for a pair of de baffled cans then?

guessing they would need posting, where abouts are you?
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

Finally got them done, persuaded them with a big flat driver and hammer haha
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

callam_nffc wrote:Finally got them done, persuaded them with a big flat driver and hammer haha
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Well done
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

The weld still stuck on the baffle is easily 5mm big, no wonder it wouldn't pull out lol
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Well done. Persistence is the key. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

bigspanishmarty wrote:still not sure mac, i was waiting for you to get back to me about their condition, but i guessed you weren't to keen on getting them out of the loft.
if someone else wants/needs them thats ok with me, it doesn't bother me as i have some race cans for the second bike.
You never asked me about the condition ya muppet, you just said you would let me know when you were ready!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

callam_nffc wrote:Finally got them done, persuaded them with a big flat driver and hammer haha
Get 'em on & fire it up !

Well done perseverance pays off in the end...well that & a big enough hammer! :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

mattycoops43 wrote:so...........

whats the going rate for a pair of de baffled cans then?

guessing they would need posting, where abouts are you?
As it happens I'm in Kent right on the other side of the country from you :lol: :lol:

I will PM you with costs & deal options... :wink: