what was your first big bike??

General Bike chat
Rob

Re: what was your first big bike??

Post by Rob »

A Hornet 600.

Passed my test in the morning and picked it up brand new in the afternoon.

You don't get many days as good as that :thumbup: :clap:

(Had a Suzuki DR125 for a year before that which was my first bike - not new, pretty old and knackered but reliable. I just wanted to make sure I enjoyed it and to get a years no claims)

The Firestorm is my 3rd bike. Part Ex'ed the Hornet for it after a year.
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
geodude

Post by geodude »

My bike history
Honda Vision 50
Yamaha RD125LC
Suzuki RG125 Gamma
Yamaha DT125R
Honda XL185 - Offroad only
Suzuki RM400 - Offroad only

Passed me test and got my first big bike as mentioned before
Honda CBR400RR NC23

Wrote it off and had a break from riding then
Honda CBR400RR NC23
Honda VFR400 NC24

Got a camera
Honda VTR1000F Firestorm
Suzuki Bandit 600 (ex-wheelie school bike)

And I currently ride
Suzuki DR350 (390)
Suzuki DR-Z400SM
BMW F650GS 30th Anniversary edition (being returned tomorrow) :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :sad2 :sick:

and the soon to arrive Aprilia Tuono

Other bikes I have ridden
Honda Pan European ST1300, VFR800, VFR1200, Transalp, Deauville, CB1000R, CBR600
Triumph Daytona 675, Tiger, Street Triple
Ducati 916,
BMW F800GS - R1200GS - K1300R
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
ging500

Post by ging500 »

seb421 wrote:
ging500 wrote:There several ideal bikes tht i would like, i really loved the original fazer or sv650!! I would consider a larger bike like a storm or a trx850!! At the mo insurance is crazy for me and i kinda wanna enjoy getting to grips with riding a quick bike !!

On a side note i think they should bring back the air cooled two stroke!!
How old are you mate? insurance wasnt to bad for me TPFT on the Storm when i first passed

once you get one years NCB and or turn 25 it really comes down

Im 26 with 3 years ncb on a 125 !! i was looking at fully comp and it was silly money. I would like one but people (namely bazza ) that once Ive had one, it will be difficult to find another bike as good !! Also being on a smaller bike will allow to get used to a bigger bike and i would like to increase my bike list!!

Hopefully can my licence and sorted with a bike for next year so can perhaps start meeting some of you guys personally !!
geodude

Post by geodude »

ging500 wrote: Im 26 with 3 years ncb on a 125 !! i was looking at fully comp and it was silly money. I would like one but people (namely bazza ) that once Ive had one, it will be difficult to find another bike as good !! Also being on a smaller bike will allow to get used to a bigger bike and i would like to increase my bike list!!

Hopefully can my licence and sorted with a bike for next year so can perhaps start meeting some of you guys personally !!
I found the CBR400 to be a right good laugh after passing my test. Especially If you are a short butt like me although I knew someone who was 6ft 2 that rode one no problem.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
Rob

Post by Rob »

geodude wrote:
ging500 wrote: Im 26 with 3 years ncb on a 125 !! i was looking at fully comp and it was silly money. I would like one but people (namely bazza ) that once Ive had one, it will be difficult to find another bike as good !! Also being on a smaller bike will allow to get used to a bigger bike and i would like to increase my bike list!!

I found the CBR400 to be a right good laugh after passing my test. Especially If you are a short butt like me although I knew someone who was 6ft 2 that rode one no problem.
I worked with an old chap who had a CBR400. My mate had just bought a Thunderace and was bragging about how quick it was so the old chap said he'd go out with him on a ride. My mate thought his 1000 would make the 400 look silly :lol:

My mate ended up looking silly. He also shat himself when he saw the old guy go around corners - he didn't think it was possible to go around them that quick.

Turns out the old guy had done a fair bit of TT racing which none of us knew about. :clap:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Long long long long time ago, before the days of petrol power a little pinky was riding around on a CZ125 and when that died he got himself an RSX100 and then had to move away from NI and the bike was sold.

15 years later petrol had been invented and Pinky had returned to NI and, since a CBT was non existant at that time he bought himself a Lifan 125 Cruiser style heap of sh1t. He then moved back over to England taking his, now rusting, chinese heap of rubbish with him and then, just 2 years ago, went trough a DAS course.

A friend from an online game suggested I brought my Lifan up to him for his wife to learn to ride on after I passed and he would get his other bike, which was lying in the garden rotting, back on the road for me to borrow until I got myself my own ride.

So Pinky went up to Peterborough on this:

And let me tell you, the M25 is no place for a 125 that just about pushes 50mph as a top speed. The poor sod was overtaken by lorries and everything.

Pinky left Peterborough a short while later on this as his first big bike:

A 1991 gsxr750, last of the oil cooled slingshots, a classic in every sense of the word.

And low it was, Pinky was not overtaken on the way back by anything. :lol:

That bike was kept for around 6 months and I eventually got the Storm. As far as I know, the bike is still in Peterborough and still works so I didnt kill it to death. Not many people get a free classic sports bike to run about on for a while and I am gratefull to the guy that loaned me it, especially considering I had never met him before and we only knew each other from a game on disgracebook!
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
Trainraider

Post by Trainraider »

First BIG bike...

That was legendary Honda CX500C.

A really decent bike. With a V2 engine :) - Sideways -

And it weighted a ton. Great and reliable bike (as Honda can be). The cam chain tensioner broke, but that didn't matter. The bike went on and on for 25 000km without even noticing that the cam chain tensioner was broken. The chain chopped itself a nice rail in the engine but it still worked like a clockwork. Brilliant machine.

The first bike was Suzuki TS125. Year was 1972 as I recall. That was a fun bike to ride even that the seat was not actually attached to the bike and it flied away when driving on a bigger jump.
- Hey, get out of that tincan you call a car
'Coz that old thing wont get you far
Don't take a bus and don't grab a cab
'Coz I got a thing that'll drive you mad -
darkember

Post by darkember »

As a youngster rode allsorts of stuff some crap some good. Infamous peds to start with, had an ancient DKW 49cc with crap brakes. For something that as standard would do about 35 max after chopping the exhaust & removing all the baffles then running the poor bugger on 80% methanol was managing 50 god it was scarey with those brakes & 12" rims :eek2 :eek2. After that had several Fizzies then onto a KH125. First major step up was onto the b6 which loved. Therafter, came Z750 followed by a B12 which was too heavy. It was my M8 who twisted my arm to try a Vtwin, I was scheptical at first having heard all the stories on the infamous TL's & all inline 4 lovers saying Vtwins are a handfull. All I can say once I tested one I knew it was the way forward. They are welcome to keep there sphinter numbing high reving screemers. :wave: :wave: