running rough

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
benny hedges

Re: running rough

Post by benny hedges »

thumperslaw wrote:
190 jets and it does not pop and bang so much when you let the throttle off.
180 jets and its like a fire work display
you have air leaks.
check the carb rubbers and check the headers
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

If I had then a leak test would of showed that I would of thought.
200psi in the cylinder
98 storm with goodies!

Srad seven fiddy stuntbike

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

thumperslaw wrote:If I had then a leak test would of showed that I would of thought.
200psi in the cylinder
not really.... it would only show that the valves & rings are sealing well... lots of popping and rough running is often caused by air / vacuum leaks between the carb & the inlet, which would be on the other side of the inlet valves... and also lots of popping on over-run is often caused by leaking headers, which again, is on the other side of the exhaust valves.

might be something else, but is definately something to rule out. :beer:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

benny hedges wrote:
thumperslaw wrote:If I had then a leak test would of showed that I would of thought.
200psi in the cylinder
not really.... it would only show that the valves & rings are sealing well... lots of popping and rough running is often caused by air / vacuum leaks between the carb & the inlet, which would be on the other side of the inlet valves... and also lots of popping on over-run is often caused by leaking headers, which again, is on the other side of the exhaust valves.

might be something else, but is definately something to rule out. :beer:

Will try that as you said its worth checking to see.
98 storm with goodies!

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

defo mate, especially the rubbers... they do harden off over time and the clips get weak.
you may think theyre good and tight but if theres no flex in the rubber they could well be letting air in.
as a result it weakens the mix by drawing air in after the carb, and also loses vacuum which affects the rate of rise on the slides.

when you refit the rubbers, its worth smearing a bit of grease around the mouths as it helps them seal. and try using an 8mm socket on the clips instead of a x head screwy...
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

At the moment any thing is worth a try.
I know the headers are tight and now leaks from them. I used new exhaust studs and gaskets from Honda and checked that all. My storm had been sitting for awhile before I swapped the motor over
98 storm with goodies!

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

This seems more likely to be a vac pipe/carb balancer on the front pot being open to atmosphere.

Question:
Although the bike pops and bangs, in second gear, will it rev up to 8000 plus easily?

If it does, the timing's ok.
If it gets to about 6500 and won't rev any more, the timing is out 180 degrees.

But having ridden bikes with the timing out 180 degrees, there's no appreciable popping and banging, as I recall, it just feels as though someone has put a sock in the air intakes, and it simply can't get air in quick enough.

Why don't you ask one of the local boys to have a look at it for you?
Chances are that it's an easy fix....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

Revs up to the red line apart from in 6th gear just will not get there.
Bypassed the side stand switch tonight just to cross off list and looked at the wiring again.

Going to keep on trying looking and also got the vtr guy roger coming over work shop I think
98 storm with goodies!

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

thumperslaw wrote:Revs up to the red line apart from in 6th gear just will not get k
Ok, so it's not the cam timing, but it has to be something else that was disturbed with the new engine.
AMcQ
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

Story goes

I got this engine from a guy who lives in oxfordshire who used to drag race them and his son also. The motor I got had done to drag meets then it was stripped and rebuilt again
98 storm with goodies!

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5