I Bought It With a Knock

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
TheGingerBeardMan

Re: I Bought It With a Knock

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Big_Jim59 wrote:I was expecting someone to critique my riding rev range.
Not at all!

Smooth riding, smooth gear changes and enjoying the ride is more important than thrashing the nuts off the bike everywhere.

I too have "sedate" rides, where I'm happy riding at 60 - 70mph on the main roads. I'll get overtaken by other bikes who must be thinking "what the hell is this guy doing crawling down the road on a bike like that...?"

But, on other days, I decide that the calm riding has allowed the spiders to move in and knit a home where the baffles used to be, so I take her for a clean out and roast the webs away.

As said at the top, nothing wrong with your riding! Love that 750 Bonnie! Want, need...must have....but will keep dreaming

(I was brought up on British bikes, and learnt to ride them at age 4 - on an ex Post Office BSA D1 Bantam. Had a few Brits later in life that I regret selling, but was a case of "needs must")

:thumbup: Handshakes from across the pond. GBM.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:As said at the top, nothing wrong with your riding! Love that 750 Bonnie! Want, need...must have....but will keep dreaming

(I was brought up on British bikes, and learnt to ride them at age 4 - on an ex Post Office BSA D1 Bantam. Had a few Brits later in life that I regret selling, but was a case of "needs must")

:thumbup: Handshakes from across the pond. GBM.
I was lucky. I got to work for a master mechanic, in a Triumph/Norton shop in the twilight of the British bike industry. The British bikes have almost as big a following, over here, as Harley Davidsons. Fast dirt track BSAs and Triumphs were the main stay of American racing for 30 years.

One of my absolute favorite bikes is the T150 and T160 Tridents and Rocket threes. In 1970 Richard Mann won Daytona (the fast track without the chicane that was murder on machines) on a Honda 750. It was a smoking wreck when he crossed the finish line. The next year he went back and won on a BSA Rocket Three. It was the same track and the BSA was fine at the end of the race. When British bikes were built correctly they were fantastic and reliable. Often, like British and American cars of the era, they were built badly. I think I did major work on every three cylinder bike we sold. I actually had one tie up while idling in my stall.

No one loved the Tridents. They are not iconic. They were over shadowed by the arrival of Honda's four. The Bonnie had the pedigree and the looks but the Rocket Three line are just sweet bikes. They were smooth, fast great handling and with a sound that is just amazing.

There is a real affinity for all things British in this country. Most consider you family even if we did have a bit of unpleasantness under George III.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Ah well! He was a bit of what we call a greasy juggler so it probably all worked out for the best:-)

Have you had the opportunity to see/try any of the new Triamph? I thinking Thunderbird Commander or new Bonnie, not the Massive Rocket III as that's not a modern replica
I've seen them down at our local dealers, never ridden any. I think they look great but wonder if I would feel a little cheated owning one

Pete.l

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

On Friday I took my VTR in for a new front tire (or is that Tyre?) I regress. I had the dealer change it since I get a discount and they have the stands and I don't. I could have gotten the front tire out in a pinch but I would have had to rig the bike from the rafters. John, the tech got it done, I paid my bill and made to leave. John did two things: 1) he left my bike in gear, which I never do and 2) he left the kill switch in the off position. I know a lot of people do this but I never used the kill switch. This is a left over phobia from my British bike days where the switch gear was so iffy that moving a component that critical could result in a walking situation. I finally found neutral and, not knowing that the kill switch was engaged I gave the engine a few spins with no results. Once it dawned on me what the trouble was I flipped the switch and gave it a crank. The resulting explosion was ear splitting made even more so by the echo effect of a near by building. No one was outside at the time but I talked to Dane the service Manager today and he said "everyone ducked." They though someone fired a cannon or a shotgun. Dane said "I knew it was you when I heard the Superhawk light off right after that.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
MGoBlue

Post by MGoBlue »

I've done that a few times. Not recommended for the carbon can guys. :eh:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's fine if you have the thicker tubes, like MIG's. Thinner stuff, like the Carbon Can Co stuff, will only last a year or two between rebuilds.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.