what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
VTRDark

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by VTRDark »

Been cleaning up my header pipes today. Wire brush drill attachments.

Before

After

Tomorrow I shall get the clay blocks out and smooth out the roughness and polish up a bit more. I have also got two snapped studs to remove from the front cylinder which is going to be a pain in the butt. Hopefully I shall be able to get mole grips on the the protruding threads, otherwise it will be a case of drilling them out :(

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Wile you have them off you might as well remove the Restricters from them .
One on each at the top where it meets the engine (a huge over size weld )
And the one from in side the rhs link section .
I did the clean up on mine like that last year so I know how hard that job was .
Well done in getting them that clean :-)
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

looking really good carl.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The one at the splitter I will leave as it doesn't improve things according to the superhawk site. And they have dyno results to prove it. There was actually a loss, so I guess Honda new what they where doing there. Unless off course you have a 2 into 1. :wink: I didn't realise there was restrictors at the cylinder outlet ends. I will have a Look tomorrow and they can go. Shall get a small grinder attachment in there and clean it all up. My arm and my shoulder are bloody killing me now after fighting with the drill all day. :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
alternative_vtr

Post by alternative_vtr »

They look superb Carl. Inspiring me now.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
Rob

Post by Rob »

Took the front wheel to have a new tyre fitted. Metzler Z8.

Fitted it back to the bike with new pads (Thought I'd better change the original ones after 23K)

Took it to the local garage to check tyre pressures and noticed rear was only 31psi. Was fine earlier in the week.

Back home to investigate and found a big piece of metal - pulled it out like you do and now it's totally flat.

Before you say it, I know it would go down when I pulled it out - wouldn't use the bike knowing it's there and have to remove the wheel to get it repaired anyway.

So new front tyre flat back tyre. Working tomorrow so repair monday morning - or maybe just replace it to match the new front.

Annoying as I could have gotten it sorted this morning. Oh well, might as well change rear pads while it's off, chain needed tensioning and the rear hugger is a bit wonky so I can straighten that up too.
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

you gotta love those spondon like welds....NOT!!!!
are you going to grind down the welds mate, then get the whole thing coated in zircon, it lowers temps and aids gas flow, its used on the inside and outside of the exhaust, very clever stuff, the one thing i would consider doing is heat wrapping the rear downpipe so theres not so much heat being transferred to the rear shock........

today i've been tinkering with a homemade/original led mirror, can you tell i was bored or what. the pictures don't really do it justice, they're by no means perfect but riding in a built up city you really need as much lighting as possible and leds are by far the best way to go. so because i had these items sitting around i thought sod it lets see what i can come up with.
also i've been trying to sort out my pink/red rocker covers, after the midnight cooking session which did nothing but stink the house out and almost set off the smoke alarm(whose bloody idea was that....LLOYDIE!!!!)
anyways i polished up the paint on one of them, giving it a half decent shine, then i applied loads of vht clear laquer which made it just about passible, once the laquer sets properly i'll give it another buff and fingers crossed all will be ok, i've just rubbed down and resprayed the second rocker cover, do not use the simoniz vht red paint its crap, infact i'd just use a normal red paint, i wouldn't bother with vht stuff...
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Blimey, what did you use to make the slot in the rear of the mirror - hammer and chisel? :lol:

Good idea though, post a pic of them fitted and working :thumbup:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

bsm didnt you use panel wipe on the rocker covers before paint as you have fish eye all over them 8O .
i bet the fumes from the cooker gave you a good high :lol:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

fish eye is down to loads and loads of laquer probably being to close when applied, but i dont care because where these parts are positioned means the finish doesn't need to be perfect, just very hard wearing. as for the mirror, i used a dremel but i'll admit it isn't the best job ever, but as i said the pictures don't do it justice, i'm using damaged mirrors that i had lying around, so i'm just trying to make something out of nothing really. tbh you can buy those thin strip led's that just stick on via 3m tape, and there'd follow the curve of the mirror, but i wanted to do it on the cheap and i've certainly achieved that cheap look... :lol: :lol: :lol:
but if it means other road users can see me and the bike easier i don't really care...
i still need to finish the other mirror and trim some glass to fit, i doubt i'll get it done until i come back in sept....
i'll post pics of them fitted to the bike when finished :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

as for the fish eyes . the paint hasnt stuck to the cover so after some rain it will oxygenate and bubble up (rust)
very fast :!:
i would of thought it would cost much to have them blasted and power coated
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

trust me lloydie, the covers were sanded and cleaned before painting, the fish eye effect you see is the laquer being applied to heavily and to closely, as for longevity i'll have to wait and see.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Xenocide

Post by Xenocide »

I finished putting my new MC + calipers on today, fork paint had set, looks lovely. all rebuilt 'n that so took it out for a spin.

nearly went over the bars the first pull of em and they've not got a proper bleed done yet - still a bit spongy.

feckin 'ell!
'98 VTR (Red - the quickest)
'94 KTM LC4 400e
'69 Land Rover S2 Lightweight
Trowbridge & Surrounding Areas Lawn Mower Servicing & Repairs
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Parked it up ready for a valve clearance check and re-shim, then noticed that the rear numberplate is hanging off at a strangle angle of dangle.

The cheap bracket has fatigued and almost broken off.

I've ordered another cheap bracket, as the mounting holes will line straight up and I don't want to drill more holes in the carbon fibre undertray.
Might beef this one up a bit, though.

Once the valves are done I will be fitting my "fixing the clutch graunch problem" parts, and seeing if it sorts the problem out.
And if I'm not bored by then I'll shorten the high level MIG cans a bit; not to stubby length but so that they don't poke past the tail light.
Oh, and an oil change; if I've got a new filter in stock.

Then this afternoon I might just sit in the garden and chill.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

bigspanishmarty wrote:
Nice.....you trying to pep up the paltry blur power figures by adding some RED Marty ????

If you add a nice blob of Yellow right in the middle it'll look like an angry ZIT....... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...